Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Types

• 30-07-2006 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Sigh, I'm moving to my new house in the country and of course the exchange now near me isn't upgraded.

Is there a list on this board or has anyone a list to share of Broadband type?

So far I'm here:

1. Copper
    2. Wirelss (base station type)
    3. 3G, GPRS, GSM
    4. Satellite
    5. Point to Point (e.g. leased line)
    6. Electricity Wires ????

Can anyone else include/provide a more accurate/complete listing of types.

As my /29 will now be gone I need to find something without the expense of testing everything.

Thanks in Advance,

osmethod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

osmethod wrote:
    Sigh, I'm moving to my new house in the country and of course the exchange now near me isn't upgraded.

Is there a list on this board or has anyone a list to share of Broadband type?

So far I'm here:

1. Copper
    2. Wirelss (base station type)
    3. 3G, GPRS, GSM
    4. Satellite
    5. Point to Point (e.g. leased line)
    6. Electricity Wires ????

Can anyone else include/provide a more accurate/complete listing of types.

As my /29 will now be gone I need to find something without the expense of testing everything.

Thanks in Advance,

osmethod

copper - if you're far from the exchange you might only get 16.8kbs
    wireless - probably not available, but if it is could be worth trying - further away the slower the speed.
    3G - I've just taken this 460kbs - not as good as broadband but best solution / price (49 per month - no line rental) and is fine for what I need.
    Satellite - expensive for both monthy service & setup
    Leased line - you'll need the exchange to be enabled.
    Electricity wires - don't know.

If you have a 3G phone you can try the service out within a couple of minutes - load the software & connect your 3G phone (or someone elses) to see if you are happy with speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

osmethod wrote:

where is the exchange area you are moving too.. i can check if its on eircoms rollout map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Hi JohnnieM,

Jenkinstown, Kilkenny.

Smarts Online checker told me that this was my exchange after checking my number.

If you know of anyone who may provide any solution (Satellite as a last option) and can point me to them, I'd be most sincerely grateful.

I'm dreading the withdrawal symtoms wheen I give up my /29 in 3 weeks...

osmethod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Thanks Mcaul,

What is your upload kbps on the 3G?

Thanks,

osmethod

Advertisement