Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dempsey welcomes progress

Options
  • 30-07-2006 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

What next?
    And after the "Christmas push" achieved with the "strong support of Comreg" we will be told that Noel's "challenging" broadband goal of 400 000 subscribers by end 2006, which is actually the goal of staying at second last place in the EU-15 broadband league, was achieved.
    broadband-aware.jpg
    ‘Broadband Aware’ Campaign Making Impact – Dempsey

Dublin, Sunday 30th July 2006

Noel Dempsey T.D., Minister for Communications, Marine & Natural Resources, has welcomed the progress made by the new all-island ‘Broadband Aware’ campaign which he launched earlier this month.

“This is the first all-island broadband awareness campaign promoting the benefits of broadband to both home and business users,” said Minister Dempsey today. “The campaign, which comprises of a series of four television adverts, has been running during peak viewing times for the past three weeks and will continue to run until the end of the year,” he added.

The television campaign is supported by a website www.broadbandaware,com which gives further information on what broadband is and guidance depending on the user’s location.

Commenting on the campaign Minster Dempsey said: “This campaign, which airs on a cross-border basis, has been a huge success to date. Feedback from the public and industry has been overwhelmingly positive. Figures from the broadbandaware website show that numerous users have viewed the website since the campaign launched.”

“Broadband is now available to over three quarters of the population in Ireland, however there is clearly a need to promote the use of broadband among the general public. This campaign helping us to achieve that,” continued the Minister.

The Communications Regulator ComReg has also come out strongly in support of the campaign, boosting the campaign budget to a total of €733,000 and enabling a stronger Christmas push.

“I would also express my gratitude to ComReg and the SEUPB (Special EU Programmes Body) for their assistance in making this campaign happen,” concluded Minister Dempsey.

The campaign is 25% funded by the Department of Communications, Marine & Natural Resources and ComReg, with the balance being provided by the EU through the INTERREG IIIa Programme. The Department has been advised by Index Creative Communications and all four adverts were produced by Tigervision.com
    P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭leoc

"Broadband is now available to over three quarters of the population in Ireland [...]" continued the Minister.

As my old Religious Education textbooks would have put it, how does this statement make you feel? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

The irony of the photograph is that Broadband is unavailable in Lilliput (at the southern end of Lough Ennel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and I bet thats a x486 machine

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

leoc wrote:
    As my old Religious Education textbooks would have put it, how does this statement make you feel? :)

Even Noel gets confused between broadband enabled lines and broadband availability. Mind you I don't understand his 75% figure in either case, sure isn't satellite available to 100% of the population and satellite IS broadband according to Minister Dempsey and the DCMNR.

Especially when you combine it with wireless at the consumer end to give it that je ne se quois.

So on foot of this wonderful progress I am going to form a new BB company in Ireland called Broadband Using Local Loop, Satellite and HSDPA Internet Technologies.

Some of the wonderful features of this company and services will be…

Billing software purchased from BTIreland

Out of hours support by Lastmile

Office hours support by UTV

Satellite backhaul combined with wireless to the customer

Wireless routers will be Eircom Netopia ones, the type you have to cough up extra if you want to enable things like a firewall etc.

We have heard that a former master of PR and spin, formerly of Eircom, is now available so will be head hunting him to present “facts” to the public.

Obviously as part of this deal I will resign from IOFFL, but no need to fear if I use insider knowledge in radio debates as we will refuse to talk to IOFFL in a petulant fashion.

Finally we will look to purchase all available spectrum, and “trial” various technologies for the foreseeable future until we are happy that no one else is left to compete with us or hell freezes over which ever comes second.

In the midst of this we will be seeking to have pesky organisations such as Forfas, OECD etc designated as enemies of the state such that anyone found guilty of using their reports is automatically guilty of treason.

B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T will be incorporated some time this century

John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

2nd worst you say
    suppose the greeks are still last

is there a greeksoffline? doubt it but im sure a lot of them are just as pissed about it as us, wonder if this is in the newspapers 'bloody irish still ahead of us'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

1huge1 wrote:
    2nd worst you say
    suppose the greeks are still last

is there a greeksoffline? doubt it but im sure a lot of them are just as pissed about it as us, wonder if this is in the newspapers 'bloody irish still ahead of us'
    There was a "Greekoffline" guy on boards some time ago.

Greece is out of the broadband race, was never in it.

They are not only last of the EU-15, but also last of the EU-25.

For a variety of reasons – the Greek alphabet, little English language skills, rural infrastructure problems, high DSL pricing and poor coverage, and the weather – they don't see much prospect for catching up.
    Nice regulatory and embassy guys – but it's telling they insisted on sending the figures I had asked them for per fax.

When eircom's McRedmond talked through his årse in the RTE interview in September 2004, the only correct morsel was that about Greece.
    "Well, no, we believe that very soon we’ll be up there with… we’re already… we’re past Greece, we’re past Luxembourg, we’re catching up with the UK and Germany and we see ourselves moving up that table very fast."

Dempsey's new "goal" of 400 000 broadband subscriptions by end 2006 is the goal of staying in front of Greece, but firmly on second last place of the EU-15.
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The problem is that broadband uptake figures are not something that most people would be the slightest bit intersted in. Government inaction is merely a reflection of this almost complete lack of interest among the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 2Tagz

You would think Noel Dempsey could get himself a smaller laptop by now.. Although in fairness that would probably make 6 civil servants redundant. Dial-up user.

Advertisement