Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Colourful Dreams ?

Options
  • 30-07-2006 1:45pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Read awhile back in some magazine, maybe Psychology Today, where it was concluded from some study that women more frequently dream in colour when compared to men? Any merit to this claim? And what do you experience, if female or male?

Me? The best that I can recall, all my dreams are in colour, often vivid.

Comments?

Note: This OP is not being conducted as research for some silly article in some magazine or whatever, but rather just cause we are curious people and having fun.

Male or female? When asleep, and I have a dream, it is: 48 votes

Male: Always in colour
    0% 0 votes
    Male: More in colour than black-and-white
    43% 21 votes
    Male: More in black-and-white than in colour
    4% 2 votes
    Male: Always in black-and-white
    4% 2 votes
    Female: Always in colour
    0% 0 votes
    Female: More in colour than black-and-white
    41% 20 votes
    Female: More in black-and-white than in colour
    2% 1 vote
    Female: Always in black-and-white
    0% 0 votes
    Male: Never dream (or cannot remember colour, etc.)
    0% 0 votes
    Female: Never dream (or cannot remember colour, etc.)
    4% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Always in colour as far as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Yep always in colour.

I remember one dream that was quite possibly the most colourful dream I've ever had. I was some sort of princess and there was a huge banquet hall and everything was amazingly colourful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Always in colour... the only instances of lack of colour i can recall are when i see relatives ive never known outside of photographs in dreams, i guess my brain doesnt have the information to build up a full colour representation of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I can't remember any of my dreams being in anything other than colour, faded colour but colour all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

"More in black-and-white than in colour".

Tbh, the 'black and white' isn't very apparent. Rather than acutally being monochrome I think it's just the lack of any memorable or important colour (if that makes sense). When you do wake up remembering colours it's only then that you realise it's not always been that way.

Thinking back to the dream I had last night : there were 'normal' enough surroundings and happenings and I could assume it was in colour (certinly don't remember it being grey, black and white) but I can't actually recall if the door was brown or the wall was yellow... it was just a door and a wall. No colour was aparent.

(I honestly don't think that every voter bar me dreams in vivid and memorable colour every night of the week.. although I could be wrong).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

More in colour than black and white, only very occasionally I dream in black & white(that i can remember) or maybe it's just at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

mine are always vividly colourful, mostly including sky and rolling hills of grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

nearly always in colour, and last time i checked i was male :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Always in colour, when I can see in them that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Ruu wrote:
    I can't remember any of my dreams being in anything other than colour, faded colour but colour all the same.

^^Exactly. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

vivid colours, some of which cant be achieved inthe real world :(

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

That's funny.
    I never thought that there might be a different way of dreaming but in colour! I thought everyone dreams in colour!!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Never really noticed. I assumed there are in colour maybe not as vibrant as in awaking state. Honestly not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Always in color as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Shades of brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

mine tend to be in colour, but theres always the never ending black hole that I'm falling down. Haven't ahd that in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Male, and always in colour. I can't remember ever having a dream that lacked colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

Female, my dreams are always in colour and vivid. I usually have a good memory for them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I don't perceive that it's either black and white or colour... for some reason it just doesn't come into it... I certainly don't feel like I'm seeing things in black and white... and I do remember the colours of certain things from my dreams.
    But if I were to try and recall the dream visually, I'd say it was in a kind of almost-colour ... very subdued, low-saturation colour... or that colour didn't exist to be missed in the first place.
    Hard to remember really :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I don't perceive that it's either black and white or colour... for some reason it just doesn't come into it... I certainly don't feel like I'm seeing things in black and white... and I do remember the colours of certain things from my dreams.
    But if I were to try and recall the dream visually, I'd say it was in a kind of almost-colour ... very subdued, low-saturation colour... or that colour didn't exist to be missed in the first place.
    Hard to remember really :/
    That would be my thoughts on it too. I think the poll is flawed, tbh. My dreams certainly don't look like a black and white movie, but they aren't necessarily in colour either.

Lack of colour != black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

This morning I managed to remember my dream (probably cos I was reading this forum last night :)) and there was DEFINITELY colour in it. I was in a train and strong colours that were in it were purple and yellow (reminds me of the Luas now that I think of it).

I'd say most dreams ARE in colour, but the person just mightn't remember the colour, or else the colour mightn't be important. It's probably the same with sound; some people mightn't have/remember any sound in their dreams, but others will.

Advertisement