Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resturant/Pub Grub reviews....

Options
  • 30-07-2006 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Mods: I feel this should be made a sticky. With the amount of resturants/pub grub in Galway it would be great to have an independent feedback forum for it. So i'll get the ball rolling

Atmosphere: Nice and clean, relaxed
    Overall verdict: Will not return

I said i'd give the place a shot since its new. Plenty of space in there as it wasnt busy, nice and spacious. I kept it simple, Cod & Chips, and the girlfriend got some chicken with veg.

The price was a little steep, but I was hoping for a decent portion (€12 for cod and chips, €13 for the chicken and veg). How wrong was I. The portions were TINY. The fish was accompanied by a small plate of chips, and the mushy peas were not mushy, and just swimming in boiling water. The chicken piece was a LEG, I know we should have asked if it was a breast, but for the price we took it for granted. The veg was also terrible. It was soggy and obvious that it was not fresly prepared, more likely sitting in a pot for hours.

When I was asked AFTER THE MEAL if everything's OK, I said in a polite manner "The portions were very small". The waitress almost snapped at me and ignorantly said "You could have asked for more", as if it was MY fault that the portions were tiny.

Overall very unimpressed, and will not return

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Atmosphere: Real cosy, can be busy (make reservations in evening)
    Overall verdict: Most definitely going back, 7 out of 10.

I will do a few italian places as I really like italian food. Trattoria is a small Italian place across from Fat Freddy's. Not very pricey for a high street restaurant.

Service is usually pleasant and fast (depending on if the place is full or not) and I have always tipped waitresses.

Food is lovely. I always get the superb pizza but my company has often got something else and seemed happy enough.

:):):):):):):) :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

"You don't leave hungry"!

Not the cheapest, but your dinner comes with veg (something that has been p1ssing me off for years, the fact that you have to pay a veg supplement!), and there are nice touches like a duck liver pate before the starter, and a champagne sorbet between the starter and main course, both as part of the meal! Also, the bread is home made, and everything is cooked fresh.

I had the veal, which was the size of the plate; my mother had the lamb, which was mouth watering; my father had the steak, which was fantastic; and my g/f had the scallops, which were delicious, but another one or two would've been nice . None of had a starter, and none of us could fit dessert!

Main courses ran from €19 - €29, and the whole bill with a bottle of wine was about €125. Might sound expensive, but the food was top notch, the service was excellent, and the place was pristine clean. The pate and sorbet were the real finishing touches, though .

Can only recommend it highly. It's a small place (only 20 seats) and, unlike a lot of places, they haven't crammed in extra tables; they leave a bit of space, giving an airy feel and unhurried atmosphere to it .

Verdict: Will definitely return (and return, etc!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

We eat out an awful lot (too much) but I will give a quick opinion on the best, and the worst experiences we have had lately.

Best experiences:

Claregalway Hotel and Arches Hotel in Claregalway:
    We eat regularly in both the Claregalway Hotel and Arches next door. Both are really nice and reasonable for an evening meal. Would prefer the Claregalway hotel of the 2 (note I'm talking about the bar food not the restaurant which I was not impressed with). they serve pizza's, pasta's, steaks etc. Main course is roughly around E12. Would highly recommend Arches for Sunday lunch. Superb food. Your looking at about E10 for a main course (Sunday lunch). They serve on a Sunday until 8-9pm I think.

Oscars:

My favourite restaurant in Galway. Only a special occasions place as it is expensive, but worth it. Fine dining with a good choice of seafood and meats. Make sure the belt has a few extra notches for when you leave as you will be stuffed. Highly recommended.

McDonagh's

Superb fish and chips. Very touristry though. If the take away section is packed head for the restaurant. It's not much more expensive to be honest.

The living room:

Really nice food. Very reasonably priced. Great choice for breakfast. Can get a bit busy at times.

Kashmir Inn (Oranmore):

Superb food. Reasonably priced. Extremely friendly staff. Do not confuse with the other Indian in Oranmore which is supposed to be horrible. this one is beside the BOI and supermacs.

Milano's:

Really nice Pizza restaurant. Nice atmosphere. Maybe a little overpriced but very nice food, Highly recommend the brochette for starter.

Fat Freddie's:

Italian restaurant. Very very nice food and reasonably priced. Does get very crowded and suffers from being a bit cramped.

Da Tang Noodle House:

Really nice noodle house. Expect to pay about €10 for a main meal at lunchtime.

Worst experiences:

Nimmo's Restaurant & Kirwin's Lane Restaurant

Categorising these as the same for overpriced food. Very disappointed with both. Nimmo's portions were very small. Went to Kirwin's lane for an early dinner as we had been given a voucher (about 5pm). For 2 adults and a child a main meal and desert came to over €100. What a rip off. won't be going back.

Will add more if I think of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

emma-ry-ah - I'm not sure what part of posting unsubstantiated claims you didn't understand. You obviously have some personal vendetta against this proprietor, and I am therefore banning you from the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Heading to Galway this weekend. Any decent Indian restaurants around the city centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

gimmick wrote:
    Heading to Galway this weekend. Any decent Indian restaurants around the city centre?

Bombay Palace can be nice .. but a bit empty at times ... should be packed this weekend with the races though ...

Kashmir is very nice as well and its usually where the gf and myself head if we're going for an indian ..

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

gimmick wrote:

I like Tulsi.........food is good .......previously voted best ethnic restaurant in Ireland(I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Naux wrote:
    I like Tulsi.........food is good .......previously voted best ethnic restaurant in Ireland(I think).

When I was in there .. food was nice ...

Found the service left a LOT to be desired though .. maybe they were just having a bad day though ?

Advertisement