Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordon bleu

• 30-07-2006 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a recipe for cordon bleu. Is it normally made with chicken or turkey?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

'Cordon bleu' in itself isn't a recipe, it's a reference to high quality cooking - means 'blue ribbon'. There are a number of conflicting tales about its origins -its links to cooking can be traced back to the early 1800s in France. It's like saying you want a recipe for a nice dish of 'award winning'.

Saying that however, you can get a recipe for the the dish 'chicken cordon bleu' - which tends towards many variations on a theme of possibly breaded chicken breasts or thighs stuffed with a melted cheese centre, ham optional.

Take skinless chicken piece.
    Place between two pieces of cling film.
    Smoosh with something heavy until you have a flat chicken piece.
    Place cheese and ham on the chicken piece. (Personally I'd go grated gruyere with torn prosciutto, chopped sage and fresh parsley and a goodly shake of black pepper - no salt)
    Roll or fold chicken so you have a chicken-wrapped cheese parcel. Try not to make it too thick - a flat parcel will cook better.
    Toss the parcel gently in some beaten egg.
    Roll the eggie parcel in some breadcrumbs - (I'd go for some bread-n-herb-crumbs - crumbs, ground pepper, chopped herbs, a shake of flour)
    Heat a mix of oil and butter in a pan.
    Fry parcel until golden on all sides (I tend to find frying anything breaded is better done at a lower heat - two-thirds of max capacity of your hob - otherwise you get burned on t'out, raw in t'middle)
    Serve with whatever takes your fancy (green salad and six pack of benecol would be my preference after the cheese and the egg and and the frying in butter)

I'm sure you could make it with turkey - turkey escalopes are quite tasty - they involve the smooshing, the egging, the crumbing and the frying, but no messing about with the cheesing and hamming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

'Cordon bleu' in itself isn't a recipe, it's a reference to high quality cooking - means 'blue ribbon'. There are a number of conflicting tales about its origins -its links to cooking can be traced back to the early 1800s in France. It's like saying you want a recipe for a nice dish of 'award winning'.

Yes, I know that! My question was not "What does cordon bleu mean?"

I'm sure you could make it with turkey - turkey escalopes are quite tasty - they involve the smooshing, the egging, the crumbing and the frying, but no messing about with the cheesing and hamming.

I see them sold made with turkey and wrapped in ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - Your original post wasn't terribly clear. Minesajackdaniels's reply covered all the bases & was appropriate given your lack of clarity.

You could at least have said "Thanks."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

Hill Billy wrote:
    OP - Your original post wasn't terribly clear. Minesajackdaniels's reply covered all the bases & was appropriate given your lack of clarity.

You could at least have said "Thanks."

I think my post was very clear! Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

esperanza wrote:
    I think my post was very clear! Thanks anyway!

I'm with Hillbilly on this one.

PS Does anyone have a recipe for nouvelle cuisine?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

frobisher wrote:
    I'm with Hillbilly on this one.

PS Does anyone have a recipe for nouvelle cuisine?:rolleyes:

I'm happy to oblige...

50g of nouvelles (10g per person + 10g for the jus)
    1 banana shallot finely diced
    1 clove garlic finely sliced
    4 baby new potatoes
    8 chives
    1 tbsp creme fraiche
    several knobs of esperanza
    olive oil

Boil the new potatoes as normal.
    Gently sauté the shallot & garlic in the olive oil for 5 mins or until soft & translucent.
    Now add 40g of the nouvelles & sauté for a further 5 mins.
    Pureé the remaining 10g of nouvelles in a magi-mix & heat gently with the knob of esperanza for 2 mins.

To plate up - halve the new potatoes & divide equally between the 4 plates.
    Arrange the sautéed nouvelles in tower-fashion over each halved potato.
    Drizzle the nouvelle jus in a circular fashion around each tower.
    Arrange the chives in a fancy X across the "tours de nouvelle" & place a knob of esperanza on top of each.

Voila!

esperanza wrote:
    Yes, I know that! My question was not "What does cordon bleu mean?"

I see them sold made with turkey and wrapped in ham.

Excellent! Then hurry along, pootle off and buy some while you still know everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

beekd0.gif

It says bee and there's a picture of a bee on it!

Is he drooling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

o_o

I think that bee has an ulterior motive for wanting to be friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

That bee looks like he has ben smoking salvia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

while we're at it , whats a good recipe for chinese ?

Advertisement