Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 By Day - Skangers Paradise By Night

Options
  • 30-07-2006 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

(MENT TO POST IN AFTER HOURS - SORRY)

Guys what I'm about to tell you is just funkin shocking and has terrified me of the M50.

On Friday night i had been working late in and was on my way home to Malahide. It was about 12.30am and the motorway was pretty quite with very little traffic on both sides. I was in the normal lane of traffic and the overtaking lane was empty for as far as i could see both ways.
    Just after the Blanch exit i looked in my wing mirror and noticed a old 99D Micra coming up on the inside and flew past me. In the car were two 14-16 year olds with their hoods up and scarfs covering their lower faces and another kid (looked younger) driving and barely able to see over the wheel... also with his hood up. The car had one of those sun visors for the back passenger windows with a pooh-bear on it so there was no doubt in my mind this car was stolen. The car went off into the distance and i though i wouldn't see it again. A bit later coming up to the Finglas exit i pulled into the overtaking lane because the focus in front had slowed down for no apparent reason. I was right beside him when i noticed why. The Micra was just ahead, zig zagging between lanes then slowing down and speeding up every few seconds. Ahead of them was a massive stretch of road with no cars in the distance, behind me was the same.

So me and the other car beside me (the focus) slowed down to let the micra get some distance, ya know thinking safe. Suddenly traveling at about 100km/h the Micra only a hundred foot or so in front done a hand break turn right in the middle of the two lanes! Both me and the focus being so close to the Micra jammed hard on our breaks, the roads being wet i skidded and pulled right towards the central reservation and the focus skidded and pulled left into the hard shoulder. The Micra then wheel-spinned up between me and the focus going the WRONG direction then pulls another 180* hand break turn behind us turn then accelerates hard coming out. Barely in control the driver clips the back bumper of the focus smashing the lights and a massive dent then regains control and speeds down the motorway. By this time cars had stopped in the far distance behind me, i assume because they seen the headlights of the robbed car. Me and the guy in the focus just looked at each other in disbelieve, he looked pretty shaken. I was going to pulls across while it was safe to check if he was okay but he just pulled off, i don't think he realised the micra had hit him so hard. A few seconds later i started my car (it stalled during the hard break) and pulled off. Other traffic followed.

I got off the M50 at my exit and shortly after got pulled aside at a "Super" Garda checkpoint (8 Guards) for having out of date tax... Despite the car having "Courtesy Car" plastered all over it along with the name of the garage. After a 5min debate with the 2 guards on how i cant tax a car that i don't own i told them about what I'd seen on the M50 10min previous, to which the guard replied "We cant be everywhere". :eek:
    But surely peoples safety is more important than Tax? Why did 8 guards and 4 cars need to do a checkpoint in a small housing estate night after night? Could one of these car not have patrolled the motorway? After 11pm I've never seen a garda car on the M50 and i drive from one end to the other 6 nights a week and the stuff that goes on sometimes is so dangerous. Yet every night driving through my estate there never fails to be a "Super" Garda Checkpoint..... Madness :confused:

This comes only three or four weeks after a friend of mine was passing Dundrum area at about 3am and came to a standstill while two starlets prepared and proceeded to DRAG RACE!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Yeah they have their priorities don't they...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Padwick

Hopefully he ended up in the river with his mate. Or something even more painful with a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

good to hear your ok . nothing strange to hear guards are acting like muppets

hope you have better experience in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I would've called 999 on the M50 and told the guards I was going to follow the Micra until they intercepted it in a squad car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

This is the problem, isn't it?

It's a pity the Gardai are being utilised as tax collectors for the state when there's real trouble brewing elsewhere.
    Ask yourself - what would THEY rather be doing? I'm sure they'd rather be after the skangers.
    It must be frustrating for the proper hardworking decent coppers to have their public image and respect chipped away all the time.

Remember this when its election time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gotta be careful about following on behind skangers they might take it personally unless you are in one of these

B2TMPremiereBigBopper0099.JPG

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I have given up on the guards; in fact it doesn't surprise me one bit

they just don't care about the scangers, they go for the easy targets.

Get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Big Balls wrote:
    I would've called 999 on the M50 and told the guards I was going to follow the Micra until they intercepted it in a squad car.

you should have sat there and dialled 999 on your mobile.... ya know call the guards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Echo?? Parrot??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

People really should call the police in these circumstances!

Thay are right they CANT be every where but they COULD have beenthere if they were called.

Why would you not call them, the mind boggles. :confused:

As you say the 8 guards further on could have had the call patched through to them and you know they only would have loved to get off tax duty and bust skanger ass!

The public has to chip in themselves too....

Oh PS I am not a Guard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

On Friday night...
    I got off the M50 at my exit and shortly after got pulled aside at a "Super" Garda checkpoint (8 Guards) for having out of date tax...
    Yes indeedy. Have a look at your nearest calendar. Get it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

While I understand the OP's point, stuff like this isn't exactly an everday occurance on the M50 for those of us who use it often its fairly quiet at night. I would've thought that stealing a car to joyride down Dublin's only motorway shows complete stupidity. You may not see gardai on the M50 but its reasonable to assume it's well used by unmarked cars and there's also a fair bit of CCTV which might've caught the lunatic.

You can't expect the cops to be there in that exact 60 seconds when some random psycho with a death wish pulls a stunt like that.

For what its worth, that micra probably ended up in a tree somewhere. Only a fool believes he can drive like that and live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Yes indeedy. Have a look at your nearest calendar. Get it yet?

No i dont get it yet? If you trying to say i should have had tax then i think you sould read the post again.....

Also the reason i didnt call 999 is because i work for a company that has about 30 branchs of a store in Dublin, and there have been times when people have been injecting themselfs, playing with knifes and steeling handbags and 999 makes no difference. The garda dont have a communication process... its more a "we'll try get the message on" kind of process. I even know one store who got robbed at gunpoint at 11pm and pushed the panic buttons..... half hour later later a guard arrived on a bike. The location of this store was on the malahide road, artane roundabout!
    An investigation was carried out by my company to find the delay

11.07pm - Button Oushed
    11.07pm - Signal Recieved By Top Security
    11.08pm - Garda Informed of Gunpoint Robbery
    11.42pm - Garda Arrive At Store

See the breakdown..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Its the guards fault that scrotes were driving like that. Absolutely. And anyway, if the guards caught them they would have just let them go so they could go and batter an innocent girl who was doing meals on wheels or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

rondeco wrote:
    Its the guards fault that scrotes were driving like that. Absolutely.

:confused::confused: ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Originally Posted by rondeco
    Its the guards fault that scrotes were driving like that. Absolutely.
    Obviously its not literally the guards fault. I think hes trying to say the guards didnt exactly do anything o help, did they? No surprise there,,, much easier to be doing road tax checkpoints on decent motorists than doing what they fookin should be doing. When is the public going to stand up and demand a proper garda force that actually do worthwhile prevention rather than doing trivial minor crap. Until an independent garda ombudsman type system is in place i will have no respect for the garda and they`re laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nuttzy wrote:
    Obviously its not literally the guards fault. I think hes trying to say the guards didnt exactly do anything o help, did they? No surprise there,,, much easier to be doing road tax checkpoints on decent motorists than doing what they fookin should be doing. When is the public going to stand up and demand a proper garda force that actually do worthwhile prevention rather than doing trivial minor crap. Until an independent garda ombudsman type system is in place i will have no respect for the garda and they`re laziness.

Decent motorist pay their motor tax.

Plus it's hardly the gards fault if they arrest someone , take them to court only for the judge to warn them and send them on their way. The gard s do not take joy riders out of cars, tell them not to do it again and tell them to go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

overdriver wrote:
    It's a pity the Gardai are being utilised as tax collectors for the state when there's real trouble brewing elsewhere.

I don't know why we dont bring in a system like they have in the UK. The DVLA automatically issues you a fine when your tax is out of date for a certain period. I know here that you get a final warning about being out of tax with options to send back such as sold/scrapped/not is use etc. otherwise the guards will be informed - informed - why isnt it just saying you will get a fine issued automatically.

I dont want to turn this into a problems with the guards thread but surely giving them a proper radio system that cant be scanned should be prioroity. And whats with the testing of stab proof vests. Listen we all know that they should have them and the dont need "testing".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Jesus Ive never seen anything close to that on the M50 I have to say.
    Major consequences for a person travelling at the speed limit if they were to stumble upon something like this :eek:

To the OP ...no offence mate but how fast were you travelling / what were you driving that a Micra full of skangers could pass you out on one of the only parts of the M50 that has a hill :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

gyppo wrote:
    :confused::confused: ?????

I should have clarified my point. I was heavily intoxicated with sarcasm.

• Advertisement

Any modern car is capable of doing well over the ton. Micra, Cinq etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

rondeco wrote:
    I should have clarified my point. I was heavily intoxicated with sarcasm.

That explains it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

No i dont get it yet? If you trying to say i should have had tax then i think you sould read the post again.....

Also the reason i didnt call 999 is because i work for a company that has about 30 branchs of a store in Dublin, and there have been times when people have been injecting themselfs, playing with knifes and steeling handbags and 999 makes no difference. The garda dont have a communication process... its more a "we'll try get the message on" kind of process. I even know one store who got robbed at gunpoint at 11pm and pushed the panic buttons..... half hour later later a guard arrived on a bike. The location of this store was on the malahide road, artane roundabout!
    An investigation was carried out by my company to find the delay

11.07pm - Button Oushed
    11.07pm - Signal Recieved By Top Security
    11.08pm - Garda Informed of Gunpoint Robbery
    11.42pm - Garda Arrive At Store

See the breakdown..... :D

4am: Landlord gets call from tenant "there's a guy trying to break in my door"
    4:05am: Landlord rings Gardaí and proceeds to scene with his son (a good friend of mine)

4:20:Arrives

4:30: rings Gardaí

5:30: Rings Gardaí

6:30: rings Gardaí

Yo0u get the gist

11am: 2 5' 0" Bangardaí arrive (no disrespect to Bangardaí but it was just a joke) take statement, survey building

11:20: Gardaí leave scene

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

micra maybe, but a cinq??? what are they 900cc??

Nissan reckon the new shape micra will do 103. My clio did around 110 once. Most 1.0 - 1.2 cars qill only hit around 100 max. The old shape mirca 1ltr felt horrible at around 80 and topped out around 85 -90.Just checked toyota.ie, 1.0 Yaris will do 93.1.3 will do 106, so most makes are fairly similar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I had a 1.2l punto that would do 100-110.

Iv been baited on the M50 by boy racers lookin for a race. Left them off.

kona wrote:
    micra maybe, but a cinq??? what are they 900cc??

900 and 1.1 and I've seen both types pass me at well over the ton on the M50. We have a 1.0 micra and it cruises happily at 65, but will do more if pushed/trashed. I used to have a wheezy Seat Ibiza 1.0 and my cousin managed to get caught speeding in it, 70mph in a 30mph zone. I didn't think it was possible to be honest. No wonder that car was shagged when I got it.

Those are silly speeds in a car like that though. You won't be able to stop in a reasonable distance if you need to for one thing, they are easily caught by the wind and much easier thrown off track by bumps or sudden steering input.

900 and 1.1 and I've seen both types pass me at well over the ton on the M50. We have a 1.0 micra and it cruises happily at 65, but will do more if pushed/trashed. I used to have a wheezy Seat Ibiza 1.0 and my cousin managed to get caught speeding in it, 70mph in a 30mph zone. I didn't think it was possible to be honest. No wonder that car was shagged when I got it.

Those are silly speeds in a car like that though. You won't be able to stop in a reasonable distance if you need to for one thing, they are easily caught by the wind and much easier thrown off track by bumps or sudden steering input.

The official spec on the chinq sporting says the 1.1 will top put at 93 and the 900 at 87

Stekelly wrote:
    The official spec on the chinq sporting says the 1.1 will top put at 93 and the 900 at 87

Yes but thats before they've done a "skanger my banger" job on it.

The fake exhaust is worth an extra 5mph at least...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

LOL ;) Yeah I know...BUT they were going up a hill and the car was near full by the sounds of it, I seriously doubt you could get a micra anywhere 75 in those conditions...nevermind a ton !

The Micra is grand at 70, but trust me it roars at anything more than 80 !

If the OP was driving anything bigger than a 1.3 he would have been in a position to drop a gear and get the revs up and these lads would have been looking at his back lights in 10 seconds flat.

Advertisement