Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2001 555 Registration Number

Options
  • 30-07-2006 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I have a registration number 01-mh-3555 on a car I bought a while ago and the previous owner told me that she had a few people approach her offering to buy it. Now the car is only a VW Polo so i have no real attachment to the plate. Do you think i could sell it? For much?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

In ROI the plate belongs to the car, not the owner.

You can't sell the plate without selling the car and even when you do, it still stays stuck onto the Polo!

Said woman has not got a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

it is illegal to chage reg no. from car to car theres another thread about this somwhere,

Sorry to piss on your cornflakes there ted.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

springs wrote:
    I have a registration number 01-mh-3555 on a car I bought a while ago and the previous owner told me that she had a few people approach her offering to buy it. Now the car is only a VW Polo so i have no real attachment to the plate. Do you think i could sell it? For much?
    previous owner has no clue and who in their right mind would pay money for a plate????? Maybe Mary Harney would fancy it and seeing as she weighs 35.55 stone it might be fitting...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

springs wrote:

I'm afraid as others have said you cannot sell or transfer vehicle reg plates in Ireland.

Just out of curiosity what do these people find facinating about the reg plate 01-MH-3555 that they wish to buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bazz26 wrote:
    I'm afraid as others have said you cannot sell or transfer vehicle reg plates in Ireland.

Just out of curiosity what do these people find facinating about the reg plate 01-MH-3555 that they wish to buy it?

I presume it's for a Subaru Imprezza 555 (eg 01 MH3 555)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I presume it's for a Subaru Imprezza 555 (eg 01 MH3 555)

Oh right! I'm still a bit hung over from last night. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

OT but there used to be a 00 reg polo in Galway with the reg 00 G 71 and the owner had but a black screw beside the top of the 7 and moved the G over making 00 GTI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

dumassae6.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

JustinOval wrote:
    dumassae6.jpg

Isn't that illegal. It doesn't have an IRL and EU stars. the lack of the Tiobraid Arann isn't actually illegal AFAIK. Plus the T-Sport is 1.8 and TRD is the Japanese equivalent AFAIK. So some eejit is spoiling his/her own broth there.

On the topic. My neighbour has just had the plate on her car changed. It was an LK which was bothering her for some reason as she's always had L. The salesman deregistered it and reregistered it wit an L one

ninty9er wrote:
    the lack of the Tiobraid Arann isn't actually illegal

13. The placename shall appear in black letters above the identification mark and each letter of the placename shall have a height of not less than 12 millimetres and a stroke width of not less than 3 millimetres. The total width of the space taken by each letter (other than the letter I) shall be not less than 9 millimetres. Where an accented vowel occurs in the placename the length accent character shall have a height of 2 millimetres above the letter. The distances between the nearest parts of adjoining letters shall be uniform. Where the placename comprises more than one word the distances between the nearest letters of adjoining words shall be uniform and not less than three times the distance between adjoining letters.

• Advertisement

13. The placename shall appear in black letters above the identification mark and each letter of the placename shall have a height of not less than 12 millimetres and a stroke width of not less than 3 millimetres. The total width of the space taken by each letter (other than the letter I) shall be not less than 9 millimetres. Where an accented vowel occurs in the placename the length accent character shall have a height of 2 millimetres above the letter. The distances between the nearest parts of adjoining letters shall be uniform. Where the placename comprises more than one word the distances between the nearest letters of adjoining words shall be uniform and not less than three times the distance between adjoining letters.

But they had to stop the NCT from failing for it with personalised plates.

Ever noticed the ones where the sequence is one county and the placename a neighbouring one
    Luimneach
    (XX-CE-XXXX)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ninty9er wrote:
    I thought all they'd agreed to do was instead of issuing a fail, to give the owner a little sticker with the county name to stick on the number plate. What do you mean by 'personalised plates' ? Illegal ones ? :)

ninty9er wrote:

Ever noticed the ones where the sequence is one county and the placename a neighbouring one
    Luimneach
    (XX-CE-XXXX)

That's interesting. The NCT manual doesn't state that the City/County name in Irish has to match the City/County letters on the plate.

Alun wrote:
    I thought all they'd agreed to do was instead of issuing a fail, to give the owner a little sticker with the county name to stick on the number plate. What do you mean by 'personalised plates' ? Illegal ones ? :)

Non standard issue are what i would consider personalised (i.e not white with black monotype font with - between year county number, county in Irish and blue patch with stars and IRL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Its possible to transfer plates alright but I think the original car has to be scrapped. Didn't that Russian billionaire just buy VIP1, which was originally a Kilkenny reg, and paid a fortune for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

junkyard wrote:
    Its possible to transfer plates alright but I think the original car has to be scrapped. Didn't that Russian billionaire just buy VIP1, which was originally a Kilkenny reg, and paid a fortune for it.

He isnt using it in ireland though is he.

No he isn't but it was transferred all the same. I know of a man who transferred a number from one car to another but the original car was scrapped. Loads of paper work though.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So I might be able to hold onto my 97 d 97 reg as long as I scrap my car? cool. I'll put it on my flying car in about 20 years time.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

JustinOval wrote:
    TS 1.4i

Sad- A lot of bother to advertise the fact that he has a 1.4! (presume your not the owner by the dumbass in the filename)

555 sponsorship was well finished on Subarus by 01. Even the shape of the car would be different form the original 555 livery cars, wouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Should that not be Tiobard Arann Theas or Thuaidh as the case my be?

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    Should that not be Tiobard Arann Theas or Thuaidh as the case my be?

No. They dopn't separate the administrative areas, the same as LK and L are both Luimneach and WD and W are both Port Lairge

Alun wrote:
    I thought all they'd agreed to do was instead of issuing a fail, to give the owner a little sticker with the county name to stick on the number plate.

Today's Irish Examiner: (Stolen from another thread - apologies :))

New NCT rules take effect today

New regulations covering the National Car Test are taking effect from today.

The changes include free re-tests in cases where defective tyres are the only cause of failure, as well as a relaxation of the rules governing registration lights and indicators.

Free registration-plate stickers with the relevant county name in Irish will also be provided, while a new pre-payment system for internet bookings has been set up and a new centre will also be opened in Inishowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

junkyard wrote:

The VIP 1 in question was a UK number. The UK don't normally issue numbers which correspond with Irish ones, but in this case they did. VIP 1 was issued in the UK for the Popemobile when JP II visited a few years back. It's been traded a number of times since.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:
    The VIP 1 in question was a UK number. The UK don't normally issue numbers which correspond with Irish ones, but in this case they did. VIP 1 was issued in the UK for the Popemobile when JP II visited a few years back. It's been traded a number of times since.

I think you may be confusing it with another:

http://www.regtransfers.co.uk/pr/gnpfs/vip1.asp

First Issued by: Eire Government
    Issued: 1984
    Price: Sorry. This plate has now been sold.

When it comes to one of the most important and impressive number plates ever issued this must surely rank as one of the best. It was specially issued by the Irish Government in 1984 to commemorate the Pope’s visit, and entered the UK market through an auction shortly afterwards.

The initials VIP are quite rare, but the fact that it stands for Very Important Person puts it in a completely different class. Especially when you consider that there were no other registrations issued with these initials.

If you feel you have achieved a certain status in life through hard work and endeavour you surely deserve the best and should you wish to tell the world this is the registration with which to do it.

Should that not be 1979???

I remember reading an article about a Kilkenny business man years before 1984 and he had VIP 1 on an old Jaguar which he was standing against in a photo so I would think it was reissued for the Popes visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I think you may be confusing it with another:

http://www.regtransfers.co.uk/pr/gnpfs/vip1.asp

First Issued by: Eire Government
    Issued: 1984
    Price: Sorry. This plate has now been sold.

When it comes to one of the most important and impressive number plates ever issued this must surely rank as one of the best. It was specially issued by the Irish Government in 1984 to commemorate the Pope’s visit, and entered the UK market through an auction shortly afterwards.

The initials VIP are quite rare, but the fact that it stands for Very Important Person puts it in a completely different class. Especially when you consider that there were no other registrations issued with these initials.

If you feel you have achieved a certain status in life through hard work and endeavour you surely deserve the best and should you wish to tell the world this is the registration with which to do it.

Should that not be 1979???

You can't believe all you read on the internet! The reg companies description is rubbish, yes the very first time that VIP 1 was issued was in Ireland. But as Junkyard points out it was in the 60's or 70´s on a Jag (which is probably now holding baked beans in a Tesco's near you!).

However for the Pope's visit to the UK in 1982 DVLA Swansea issued this number in the UK. Unfortunately I can't find a newspaper archive from 1982 to referance to authenticate this.

If I was in the back of a truck with more than a million people trying to get at me I think a more appropriate plate would be OBO 110X illegally spaced as O BOLL0X of course!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I do know of two cases where numbers from muchj older scrapped cars appeared on modern cars, I know a guy with "EI 1" on a mid 80's Merc and another in Limerick with a number dating back to around 1903 !!

Dunno how they didi it though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think under the pre 87 system numbers were recycled. Actually I think it was a nessesity as some places were almost out of numbers at one stage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

That Corolla reg is so sad, I'm embarrassed even looking at it... :o

It's also illegal on so many counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yes, VIP was allocated to Kilkenny in a 1965 amendment to S.I. 30, although I dunno if any were issued, or if they were issued as "nnn VIP" or "VIP nnn".

AFAIK and according to the Wikipedia article on Irish plates, up until 1987 they were technically part of the British system so no Irish plates clashed with any British plates.

Also, apparently, pre-'87 Irish plates could be transferred as normal in the UK (I assume only if the Irish vehicle holding the plate was de-registered), but no transfers are allowed at all within the Republic just like with the modern plates - not sure how true that last part is exactly.

Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to get a pre-'87 car, buy a pre-'87 Irish plate in the UK and get it registered there, and use that plate legitimately in Ireland? I think it'd be nice to offer the old plates to suitably old cars (imports or whatever) in Ireland - modern plates on old cars just looks silly (I saw an old Merc with these, and the rear one was painted red - horrible!), and the ZV plates can't last forever (not to mention they don't cover cars under 25 years old).

Also, anyone know what they did with imports before '87? Did they just give them the latest sequence plate from that county/city, or give them special letters? I remember seeing an old late '70s/early '80s Toyota Crown with old plates and Japanese-size plate holders, but maybe the official exports were like that?
    ninty9er wrote:
    Luimneach
    (XX-CE-XXXX)
    I'd say what happened was they got the plates made in Limerick, but they had no clare stickers, or all their plates had Luimneach pre-printed on them. I've seen this too.

Advertisement