Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2001 555 Registration Number

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

apparently, pre-'87 Irish plates could be transferred as normal in the UK

Pity I didn't know this before! I remember sitting in traffic in London years back and this guy got out of his car and was knocking on the window, nearly having a seizure, wanting to buy the plale off the van we were in, 65 ALI, guess his name was ali!

I'm sure a rich old farmer called MacDonald would give big money for the old Clare reg. EIE 10....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Really interesting thread. I like how often on this forum a thread can start from a fairly ordinary question and go off on a very informative tangent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yes, VIP was allocated to Kilkenny in a 1965 amendment to S.I. 30, although I dunno if any were issued, or if they were issued as "nnn VIP" or "VIP nnn".

...........we had a 1970/71 Capri registered in Kilkenny new as VIP 771 !
    Also, anyone know what they did with imports before '87? Did they just give them the latest sequence plate from that county/city, or give them special letters? I remember seeing an old late '70s/early '80s Toyota Crown with old plates and Japanese-size plate holders, but maybe the official exports were like that?

.........yeah you just got the latest plate, so your 1975 car could end up with a 1985 reg number if that was when you imported it !

It would be nice to get the actual facts, though I doubt you can transfer anything now, one of the reasons for the new system was to make everything easier, they wonht go back. They dont even like folk changing their 70 D XXX for ZV YYY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I do remember two Toyota crowns from the 80s, both were New Imports, one had a ZE regd I think around 86 and the other was register 87 D.
    As for VIP 1, it was sold in the UK. Amazing that they dont have to change their plates over there when it comes to IReland, but if we buy a car over there, we have to change them. So the DVLA broke their own rules and registered the Popemobile to some unknown part of the UK with IP.
    The same is said of classic car imports with SV and SU, they all appear to be registered in the same part of Scotland.

I wonder about plates such as 20 GLI and maybe 300 ZX. Were these ever issued. Other plates i could think of is XX - D- 521 as in Citroen and maybe
    0 5LK 300 as in mercedes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

20 GLI is on a merc.
    300 ZX is on an Audi 100

Sorry to dissapoint you but 05 LK 300 is on a Ford Focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Does that mean all cars on current plates but older than 87 are imports or rebuilds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ninty9er wrote:
    Does that mean all cars on current plates but older than 87 are imports or rebuilds
    Yes indeedy.

Bond-007 wrote:

Sorry to dissapoint you but 05 LK 300 is on a Ford Focus.

Is there something in that I'm missing???

So are 06-LK-21 and 06-KE-21 Both silver zetecs. I can see a speed camera issue there:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats with 05 lk 300? would it not be better to have 05 lk 200, 280, 350 or 55 to correspond with engine sizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I too would love to see old registrations (pre 87) issued again.

A few counties had/have lots of old plates which were never issued, e.g. Carlow has 23,976 unissued combinations.

I wrote a letter to the minister back in 2003 suggesting the re-issue of old regs (i.e. unissued combinations and regs from scrapped cars) but he wrote back basically saying they were not interested in doing so. Pity.

Old Irish registrations could be transferred to the UK register up until the early 80's and thousands of old Irish regs are now in use in the UK as personalised plates.

Examples (plus UK Prices)

IE 4724 (£2,595)
    1 IR (£39,295)
    IT 1 (£82,000)
    FBI 660 (£9,750)
    OZO 616 (£600)
    7575 NI (£2,595)

• Advertisement

Silvera wrote:
    Old Irish registrations could be transferred to the UK register up until the early 80's and thousands of old Irish regs are now in use in the UK as personalised plates.

Pity you can't still transfer them, I'm sure Jordan would pay a fortune to have her Bentley convertible adorned with the Leitrim plate TIT 5 ! lol.

invest4deepvalue.com

Just been in Sweden for a few days and spotted these...

This guy, not content with shredding his money by buying a large Citroen, then went out and got the C6 plate for it!

c6bm5.jpg

You don't even have to have numbers in your plate in Sweden, here's one...

c7kg7.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

The story I heard is that when they changed onto the computer system in Jan 1991, and issued the VLC/VRC instead of the old brown logbooks, they were instructed to replace any brown logbooks that came in for re-taxing with newer certificates.

This way they had a list of current 'old' cars that were on the road currently taxed also on computer. It was their way of updating the system. However a lot of offices did not do that, AND a lot of people objected to having their books withdrawn, so it basically went t1ts up !

Since a lot of logbooks didn't contain current info, and a lot of cars were laid up, they could never be absolutely sure if a car had been destroyed or not. I was told back when we were doing the first scrappage scheme that if you had a current logbook in your name AND a certificate of destruction from an authorised scrapyard that you could apply to have the number moved onto a vehicle that was pre-1987.

I never heard of anyone who tried, succeeded or failed !

Anyone know when "ZV" plates started ??

Stekelly wrote:
    He isnt using it in ireland though is he.
    this quote refers to VIP I , but i cant understand how an Irish Number
    is Legal to use in the UK when there is no area in the UK with I or Z except
    for Northern Ireland??? I remember seeing a UK regd Ford Galaxy with the
    number VIP 8. I wonder is this an irish plate abroad?

ZV must have appeared in the old system as theres a car near where I lived
    regd PZV.

i dont like that style of plate on old cars, to me it means they are all imported
    and going to shows nearly every car is a ZV number and these out number
    the home grown sold as new period classics. Now there are ZV with 5 digits
    and even that style doesnt look authentic for a country that had only a max
    of 4 digits with 2 characters ie HI 6989

so Ireland must be unique in the whole world where our old plates system can be legit in the UK and that wont go down too well with regions such as the Isle of Man and the channel Islands and all the other commonwealth or ex colony countries whose residients, if they decide to live in the UK and bring their car with them, would have to re register them there.

Well I wonder what documents were/are needed to transfer what was an Irish republic plate, and why the Irish republic cant do it ??

BTW plates with the format *ZV 123 (where * is a digit A-X) were used in Dublin on new cars registered in 1995-Jan 1996 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Informative thread!

One question I still have though: suppose you have a car with registration from an uncool county that shall remain nameless and you live in bustling, superhip Dublin. Is there any way to get a D reg on that car?

Yes, I am that shallow.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MercMad wrote:
    BTW plates with the format *ZV 123 (where * is a digit A-X) were used in Dublin on new cars registered in 1995-Jan 1996 !

I take it you mean 1985-Jan 1986?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Ernie Ball wrote:
    One question I still have though: suppose you have a car with registration from an uncool county that shall remain nameless and you live in bustling, superhip Dublin. Is there any way to get a D reg on that car?
    AFAIK it's impossible to transfer post-'87 plates in any way.

Actually, what would happen if you have a car registered in Ireland, then take it to another country and get it registered there, *then* bring it back here and re-register it again? Would you get your old reg back, or be re-issued with a new one (with correct year of course)? I can assume that doesn't happen a lot :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

You'd probably have to pay VRT bringing it back in!!!

I take it you mean 1985-Jan 1986?

............yep !!

Sorry ! :o

MercMad wrote:
    The story I heard is that when they changed onto the computer system in Jan 1991, and issued the VLC/VRC instead of the old brown logbooks, they were instructed to replace any brown logbooks that came in for re-taxing with newer certificates.

This way they had a list of current 'old' cars that were on the road currently taxed also on computer. It was their way of updating the system. However a lot of offices did not do that, AND a lot of people objected to having their books withdrawn, so it basically went t1ts up !

Since a lot of logbooks didn't contain current info, and a lot of cars were laid up, they could never be absolutely sure if a car had been destroyed or not. I was told back when we were doing the first scrappage scheme that if you had a current logbook in your name AND a certificate of destruction from an authorised scrapyard that you could apply to have the number moved onto a vehicle that was pre-1987.

I never heard of anyone who tried, succeeded or failed !

Anyone know when "ZV" plates started ??

Interesting story indeed!
    Would be great if somebody tried it??!!

SI, ZG, ZS and ZV plates were allocated to Dublin to be used in late 1986 as other combinations were running out, but 'ZV' was 'saved by the bell' when the new sysetm was introduced in 1987.
    (AZV up to YZV were issued in Dublin from Mar 85 to Jan 86)

Subsequently, the IVVCC lobbied the govt for 'old style plates' for vintage cars, and ZV 'vintage' registrations were first issued in January 1992.

G Luxel wrote:
    this quote refers to VIP I , but i cant understand how an Irish Number is Legal to use in the UK when there is no area in the UK with I or Z except for Northern Ireland??? I remember seeing a UK regd Ford Galaxy with the number VIP 8. I wonder is this an irish plate abroad?

'VIP 8' - Irish plate abroad? ... YES.

As has been mentioned on this thread before ....

Irish registrations could be transferred to the UK register up until c.the 1980's (I have already listed some ex-Irish numbers now for sale in the UK).

Incidentially, there are several dozen vintage cars in Ireland (permanently registered here!) with old UK registrations. I'm talking here about cars of the 1900-1930 variety.

I had to take a Cultural Studies Class in College this year which led to the interesting junket of useless info that in Switzerland the reg is the driver's and it's transferred from car to car

Advertisement