Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ip ?

Options
  • 30-07-2006 4:59pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see for PI alot of people post from anon accounts...but my question is, can mods view the ip on an anon account? it would be quite easy to see who posts what then wouldnt it?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yep they know everything!:eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

hummm thats all very shocking, i think that should be made clear if its true to posters, why else would they make up a user name, for the reason of remaining anon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Because the mods can be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57416
    Read. There is no such thing as true anonymity on the Internet.

The poster is unregistered, not anonymous.
    The poster may be have a dynamically assigned IP address or use a proxy - as long as they don't log in using their own account without changing address...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

<hangs head, bows, slowing scurries backward from the alter that is feedback, with little tail between legs>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Karoma linked to what I was going to.

The mods of PI (and of course the Catmod, Smods and Admins) can view the IP of any post but will only do so if they genuinely believe that the poster has been genuinely naughty.

To quote the bit that counts in that large charter:
    Anyone can post anonymously by logging out (if registered) and posting a reply. If you are not registered you may still post, your nickname would be seen as "Unregistered". Also, your name and IP address will not be shown to the general public. However, this cannot be abused, please. The owners/Administrators of boards.ie do have the powers to view any post's IP address but only as a last resort.

Anonymity is sacred but trouble making is most definately not.
    <hangs head, bows, slowing scurries backward from the alter that is feedback, with little tail between legs>
    It's a legitimate concern.

heh.
    It's a fair question. If you have any questions like this in future - read the stickies or check in Newbie/FAQ or the biki. Chances are that others have already asked.

ah don't i know it

Wait, you're the guy with the spots on his willy right?!

:p

to all other readers, he knows this not from my ip but we bumped into each other in an sti clinic...after some sound advice from boardies

• Advertisement

I was only there because there was a beautiful nurse there and I wanted to ask her out.. And sti clinic nurses are the best people to go on dates with as you know they'll be low risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Right who nicked my post - any chance of a PM to explain why?

I'm guessing: They pointed out a legitimate concern about people posting anonymously from a mod'ing perspective, and you posted how to bypass this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jebubs

I see for PI alot of people post from anon accounts...but my question is, can mods view the ip on an anon account? it would be quite easy to see who posts what then wouldnt it?

If you have a pressing issue and you would like to use PI and hide your ip, you can just search free + anonymous + surfing in the likes of google and you will find some urls for the likes of the cloak or even tools that can mask your real IP. That is what I did when I posted on PI anon.

And remember Jebubs Saves!

J.

Advertisement