Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Room

Options
  • 30-07-2006 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Is it possible to have a wet room upstairs.

I have an ensuite with toilet, hand basin and shower however i would like to get rid of the shower tray and I would like to tile the entire room have a central shower head installed in the celling.
    I would also like to install a pump to increase the pressure from the shower (mains water supply).
    If anyone has got any advise on this and any recommendations it would be much appreciated....
    cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Is the floor concrete or timber?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dave--d

Its timber floorboards...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I don't see why this couldn't be done. Sealing it properly is your biggest priority, especially with a timber floor. Also, with a wet room, there is usually a fall in the floor to the drainage position. Try to use the existing drainage connection as there are issues with the positions of connections to your stack with regards toilets, showers etc. Can this be achieved? There are regular posters here who will have more info. regarding the sealing than I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Dave - Not a big fan of wet rooms myself, mopping up water off the floor after ever shower is a pain, however I used to work for a company called Tarkett who have a very good wetroom system. For the floor they have a vinyl flooring called wetflor which is flexible enough to be coved up the wall to seal the floor and for the walls they have a product called aquarell wallgard which is installed to overlap the flooring, completely sealing the room. You can see what I mean in this link. It allows you to play around with colour combinations also. http://www.tarkett-commercial.com/roomviewer/wet_room/index.htm

This is a very popular system on the continent and in Scandinavia.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dave--d

Do-more - had a look at the link thanks for the suggestion but not really what i had in mind.

Smashey - should be fine regarding the stack however will know more once i remove the existing shower tray.

Im most concerened with sealing and how much the floor level will need to raise in order to have correct fall in to the drainage. Also how do you prevent leakage at the door.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Im having a wet room installed in an upstairs ensuite in a couple of weeks. Its no problem whatsoever, a tanking kit is what seems to be used a lot over here as part of the job. Indeed i believe that tanking is a standard requirement in Scandanavian countries, specified by engineers and architects before houses are even built.

At the moment i have a normal shower unit in the ensuite and i tanked that myself before the tiles were put up, similailt in the main bathroom. Ill post pictures when the job is done in a while...

By the way its a company in Blanchardstown that are doing the job, Bathroom Creations.ie, very professional indeed, cant wait to get it done...

Shower Head

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Hi Dave

We always tank our bathrooms in every job, here is the system we use.
    http://www.viking-house.net/tanking-and-wetrooms

Advertisement