Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everyone Read This And Email Them!!!

• 30-07-2006 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

saw this so i put it up.

According to reports coming out of Comic Con, the Sci Fi Channel has plans to delay the second half of the season of both Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis until March of 2007. In the past, the second half of each series has returned in early January and finished its run in late March.

Sci Fi Channel Executive Vice President of Original Programming Mark Stern has stated that they are making the schedule change to accommodate year-round programming. (Battlestar Galactica is slated to begin its third season in October and end in March.)

here is the link aswell http://www.sg1archive.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How about just not downloading it?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Much as I am a fan of Stargate I'd respectfully suggest that you really should get out more. It's just a TV programme after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭madmike18

here iam just copying and pasting what i read on the site

And it is a well respected show

it has been going on for 10 years

watching a show for that long and then seeing it get canceled like that

is not some people what to see happen

would you

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well this may possibly have an effect on ratings, I'll agree. However, last year fans were able to download the second half of 'Stargate: Atlantis' before it aired in the US (thanks to Canadian airings) and it didn't stop the show performing well.

Additionally, during Season 8, SG-1 premiered in the UK first ahead of the US and yet the mass of downloads didn't kill it off either.

Fair enough, there's probably more people doing it these days but I would be interested in the percentage numbers as a whole.

One thing the shows execs - Cooper and Wright - should do is ask fans not to download it when it becomes available elsewhere. Ronald D. Moore did this when Season 1 of BSG aired in the UK first and, whilst I'm not sure how much heed fans gave it, it's certainly a positive step.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

The 7th episode of stargate SG1 entitled "Counterstrike" will air in the US on the 25th of August (Halfway trough the series)

The 8th episode of stargate SG1 entitled "Momento Mori" should air in the UK on the 30th of November. Thats a 3 month break from stargate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I bloody well hope they don't delay the second half of the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Don't worry, there are the double re-runs on sky 1 every day... (For anyone whos interested, Daniel ascends this Friday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ye u see even if the US dont air it it will be a good thing for me , 6 months of staight battlestar thats 24 episodes straight and also i knopw sky wont fail us they will take over airing sg1 while a canadain station takes controll of SGA if all goes well we will get 3 great sci-fi shows every single week except during that gap between Sci-fi and Sky1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well so long as there are no changes to Sky's schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

tbh i watch the episodes on tv anyway, cause in all fairness, torrents arent ever TOP quality, they are good, but sometimes its nice to watch it how it was meant to be watched (for me thats on my loovly LCD)

Well tbh, you cant complain because there wont be much of a break over here, cause we'll be 2 months behind anyway, which will mean we'll catch up with the US.

And yeah if this annoys you, stop downloading, wait for the actual episodes on Sky1

• Advertisement

robnubis wrote:
    tbh i watch the episodes on tv anyway, cause in all fairness, torrents arent ever TOP quality, they are good, but sometimes its nice to watch it how it was meant to be watched (for me thats on my loovly LCD)

Well tbh, you cant complain because there wont be much of a break over here, cause we'll be 2 months behind anyway, which will mean we'll catch up with the US.

And yeah if this annoys you, stop downloading, wait for the actual episodes on Sky1

even if i dont watch the episode on TV i still turn on my tv and let the episode run on sky 1 even if im not watching it sometimes ill go out or play a pc game or whatever. i dont know if sky1 records its viewers but if it does i am happy cause i am still recorded as watching sg1 even tho i have seen it weeks earlyier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

User45701 wrote:
    even if i dont watch the episode on TV i still turn on my tv and let the episode run on sky 1 even if im not watching it sometimes ill go out or play a pc game or whatever. i dont know if sky1 records its viewers but if it does i am happy cause i am still recorded as watching sg1 even tho i have seen it weeks earlyier
    They don't record your viewing, save electricity and turn the TV off

What makes you all think that Sky don't record a show's ratings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

What makes you all think that Sky don't record a show's ratings?

Because afaik all TV ratings are estimated from a very small panel of people. 5000-ish in the UK chosen to represent all the major demographics.

It is done by Neilsen in the States and BARB in the UK.

Basically they have special equipment in their homes that record who in the house is watching what and then pass the stats onto BARB or Neilsen.

This also answers your ratings query in the other SG thread.

/offtopic

So Sky does monitor which of it's shows are succesful and un-succesful etc...

So Sky does monitor which of it's shows are succesful and un-succesful etc...

Not directly. Only if you have a piece of BARB equipment in the house.

Hence the previous poster (who does) can happily switch off his TV.

So we're all in agreement that these systems are silly, and cancelling a show on the grounds of it is ridiculous.

So we're all in agreement that these systems are silly, and cancelling a show on the grounds of it is ridiculous.

Err no. The systems arent great, but they will do until something better comes along.

You just have to face it that unless a certain amount of advertising is attracted by a show, that they get cancelled.

Unfortunately that means some great shows are gone whilst common-denominator trash is still with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

a few thousand ppl in Ireland have ikkle boxes which monitor what they watch and relay it back to RTE, same goes for england, but ya basically need to have that box, or do a survey or something....

Err no. The systems arent great, but they will do until something better comes along.

You just have to face it that unless a certain amount of advertising is attracted by a show, that they get cancelled.

Unfortunately that means some great shows are gone whilst common-denominator trash is still with us.

Eh...yes it is.
    It only accounts for a tiny percentage of the population.

• Advertisement

Eh...yes it is.
    It only accounts for a tiny percentage of the population.

Yes but that percentage of the population is relatively well chosen to cover all social groups, ages and sexes.

The idea being that its a representative sample of the population so that the results can be scaled up for the whole population.

But that's the problem, it is not representive of the whole population.

I dont see why they cant just build in to TV`s or cables to reccord what ur watching noone would care because whatever music/Tv shows they like would be reccorded so more likley for more of that show/music to be made

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

People would care and the likes of the ACLU in the States would have a problem with, effectively, having their viewing habits monitored. It's a civil liberties issue in the States (and many other places) so they'd need to have permission from each person as well as calculate the overheads of monitoring everyone, etc.

As to how accurate the statistics are... I'm not sure. The Nielsen site itself explains their reasoning (they cold-call about 1m people each week, for example but that hardly gets all those households viewing habits).

What's terrifying is, from what I recall, Farscape needed about 3 or 4 more Nielsen households to watch to avoid cancellation. That's the sort of scaled-down world you're working with and that Stargate is now reliant on.

But that's the problem, it is not representive of the whole population.

Says you. Neilsen and others would disagree.

You're welcome to that opinion but its not going to change the opinion of someone who commissions/renews programs.

Advertisement