Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MKV Golf engines

Options
  • 30-07-2006 9:28pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im looking at buying a 04 1.6 Golf Sportline. Its not marked FSI, are all MKV petrol engins FSI, and whats the best way to check the BHP?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Get the chassis number and check with the stores in a VW dealer and they'll tell you the BHP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Sounds like the 100bhp 1.6. The 1.6 FSI has 105bhp. Think the FSI might be a little lighter on fuel. Hope that helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Rew wrote:
    Im looking at buying a 04 1.6 Golf Sportline. Its not marked FSI, are all MKV petrol engins FSI, and whats the best way to check the BHP?

Any help appreciated.

There are two 1.6 litre petrol engines in the MkV Golf: the ancient 1.6 litre 102bhp 8 valve and the 1.6 litre 115bhp FSi version.

The FSi version has a "1.6 FSi" badge on the boot and is easily identified also as it has a 6 speed manual gearbox.

The old 1.6 litre version just has a "1.6" badge on the boot and only has a 5 speed manual gearbox.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

bazz26 wrote:
    The old 1.6 litre version just has a "1.6" badge on the boot and only has a 5 speed manual gearbox.

Its that one so, iv read there not great. Might keep lookin for an FSi or a 1.9 TDi.

Cheers for the info.

Rew wrote:
    Its that one so, iv read there not great. Might keep lookin for an FSi or a 1.9 TDi.

Cheers for the info.

My recommendation too.

• Advertisement

Pitty, was a nice car, leather seats, alloy spare, sun roof etc.

Iv been trawling the Irish car sites so iv seen most of the Golf adds now.

Blue one is the one I test drove, he was sold it beliving it was FSi as far as I can tell. May spend a bit more and go Audi A3.

Was going to look at this Golf but I hear the garrage wont budge on the price:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=471186

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I would think good 1.6FSi used Golfs are relatively thin on the ground. The reality is that 99% of irish Golfs are 1.4 petrol or 1.9 diesels.
    Same goes for A3. My FSi cost about 1600 euro over the std 1.6. A lot of new buyers would not bother.

Easiest way to spot if its an FSi is the 6-speed gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Rew wrote:
    Iv been trawling the Irish car sites so iv seen most of the Golf adds now.

Blue one is the one I test drove, he was sold it beliving it was FSi as far as I can tell. May spend a bit more and go Audi A3.

Was going to look at this Golf but I hear the garrage wont budge on the price:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=471186

That car was in tip top condition, and a fair few people went to look at it if it is the one I'm thinking of.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know the girl who bought it. Lovely car but it had 33K on the clock and they wanted 26k. No extras other then the leather AFAIK. Not worth it TBH, Better ones to be had for less.

JoeA3 wrote:
    I would think good 1.6FSi used Golfs are relatively thin on the ground. The reality is that 99% of irish Golfs are 1.4 petrol or 1.9 diesels.
    Same goes for A3. My FSi cost about 1600 euro over the std 1.6. A lot of new buyers would not bother.

Easiest way to spot if its an FSi is the 6-speed gearbox.

Yeah loads of 1.4s alright, seems to be a good few 1.9 TDi's as well. There are a few more FSi A3's around but the cost of an A3 is much higher FSi or not. A3 buyers tend of have gotten decent options as well.

Anyway im in no hurry, I have a perfectly good car. Its up for sale now so i'll keep an eye out and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Shame the far nicer 2.0 TDI is so rare. :mad:

Dont think I can afford the insurance me on anything higer then the 1.6FSi or 1.9TDi despite being 27.

You can get the 2.0 TDi from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Rew wrote:
    You can get the 2.0 TDi from the UK.

There are a few around. Last time I checked it was about a 4k upgrade, because VW don't absorb the extra 5% VRT like Toyota et al do.

Advertisement