Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weeks hol in Sligo/Galway/Donegal for jet ski-ing/swimming/clubbing/etc

• 30-07-2006 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Myself and a few mates are slaving away the Summer (im even working through both weeks of the builders hols) and want to go off somewhere at the end of the Summer before going back to college.
    We want to rent a house for a week near the sea but near a town aswell for the nighttime. were looking for somewhere we cn go swimming in decent water and jet-ski, surf etc.

And we want to be close enough to a town so we can go out at night. Ideally the house would be a short drive from the beach and the town.

Were thinking more towards Donegal as it has class clean beaches and its nice and quiet. Is there a beach near Donegal town? Also would we get a house booked at this stage? 1 of my friends was looking at some thatched houses you could rent that were filled with all mod cons, etc. Be a bit of craic.

Are there any websites I could look at to book a house. Some of the islands off donegal would be class.
    Can anyone reccommend somewhere for us?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you are thinking of Donegal Town area then you will have loads of beaches but you will need a car. When I say that you will only be 10 or 15 mins drive to Murvagh or Rossnowlagh. If you are into surfing then Rossnowlagh appears to be the place.

Other areas that may be of interest would be Marble Hill/Portnablagh area, Downings.

Islands are Aranmore - couple of car ferries each day. Tory - mostly passenger ferry and you will have to stay overnight. I would recommend Aranmore though.

If I can get any links or further info I will post it up here. Im sure there will be a few other people here who will give good advice.

in the meantime why not google a couple of the places mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Thanks for the info Muffler. yeah, we`ll have 2 cars at least. I was wondering if the islands would have ferries for cars, wouldnt fancy leaving the cars on the mainland.

Would there be much pubs/restrauants/facilities on the islands or would we be best remaining on the mainland near a town and beach i wonder. If theres not much to do on the island we could get bored easily.

ideally, i think we would like to find a self catering house that is near enough to the beach and a town. And it`d be nice to have at least 1 big attraction centre that we could spend a day or 2 at aswell, like a waterworld fun centre or something. We definitely want to have access to jetski`s though at the beach or whatever.

We`re more or less settled on Donegal in general. I see "Rossnowlagh " that you mentioned is a world famous location for its beach.
    I think ill aim for donegal town then so and try get a house near there.
    Anyone got more suggestions as to where abouts in donegal town to get a ouse and what other facilities/activities are around there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Donegal Town would be an excellent base for the south of the county. Bundoran and Rossnowlagh are quite near and they both have great surfing. Donegal Town has plenty of pubs and restaurants while Bundoran has waterworld.

If you got to Aranmore, the ferry leaves from Burtonport. My advice would be to leave the car at the ferry terminal (it should be safe), as I don't think you would really need a car on the island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Ballyshannon would be the place. Near Rossnowlagh and Waterworld in Bundoran. It's a nice town with decent night life (Sean Ogs is good). Also consider Sligo area. Strandhill and Easkey are great surfing beaches and nightlife can be good (depending on night). Ballyshannon sounds like the answer to your question though. The islands are great if the weather's nice but it gets boring if it rains all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

another place could be Boyle in roscommon, Its on the dublin sligo road.

I am looking at the jet ski side of things, a couple of friends of mine used to come down every summer and go jetskiing in lough key park.

The local boat tour guy was never impressed with them though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Advertisement