Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the opinion of those who's gone before (to America)?

Options
  • 30-07-2006 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in the process of applying for a visa with my fiance - it'll be me moving to America. Before that, I'm planning to travel over for a week in August and my fiance would like me to stay on longer, as she recently gave birth to the most beautiful baby girl in the world, ever. I'd love to go, I've had a look at the numbers and my bills will be covered by back wages from work (I'm paid monthly), but what I'm more worried about is whether it will affect my visa application?

I can stay in the US for three months on my tourist visa, but still.. I'd rather be sure.

EDIT: The visa paperwork was filled out in the US, but we listed me as being resident abroad (Ireland).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Will it affect your visa application if you travel over there? If so then not at all. During my waiting for an interview period I went over twice and nothing said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Shaybo

As long as you stay well within the rules and regs of your current status you should be fine though be sure of what those rules and regs are.

I was in the Embassy recently for an interview and saw several other people grilled mercilessly over various transgressions in the past. One woman was refused outright because she outstayed her visa several times - turned out she was blacklisted and was told she could appeal but it was almost certain to fail. She wouldn't be eligible to reapply until the three year ban was up.

Another guy, in a situation which sounded something like yours, had overstayed by about 6 days I think and he was able to explain his way out of it and eventually got the visa.

Don't take any risks would be my advice but for peace of mind it might be worth your while investing in 5 minutes on the premium rate phoneline they now have in operation to answer visa enquiries.

Good luck with it it all anyway.:)

Indeed, the US Embassy is Ballsbridge is slightly intimidating but the guys and ladies there are just doing their jobs. They aren't out get anyone. :) Stay clean and you'll be grand and more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Its very hot down in the south, hard to get a decent deep breath of fresh air!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Shaybo

Ruu wrote:
    Indeed, the US Embassy is Ballsbridge is slightly intimidating but the guys and ladies there are just doing their jobs. They aren't out get anyone. :) Stay clean and you'll be grand and more than welcome.

I agree entirely - my point was about the applicants, not the staff. The applicants had broken the terms of their visas so were subject to tough questioning. Of course it doesn't help that there are a dozen people sitting behind straining to hear every word you're saying.:D So I was just saying to the original poster that only if he's broken the terms of his visa will he experience grief.

It seemed to me that as long as you were honest with them and had all of your documentation was in order it was a smooth process. The two ladies I dealt with - one Irish and one American - were nive people.

I got my visa that afternoon and believe me when I say that I've had more difficulty ordering a sandwich in some places in Dublin than I had that afternoon in the Embassy.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I went to hang around at that embassy grill for a cup of tea because it was freezing outside but after I got in dealt with nice people and went in when the visa section opened at 1pm, I think I waited about 2 hours and they finally put me out of my misery and gave me my visa. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

When clearing customs in the US, be certain to be polite, and whatever you do, not to make jokes about the problems they have been experiencing, even if they are well intended and friendly jokes. US Customs has no sense of humour.

Once in the US, you are free to travel anywhere, from state to state, without problems. The only place you might encounter checkpoints are near the southern (Mexico) or northern borders (Canada), normally just a few miles in from the borders on roadways/freeways.

California is a big exception. If entering the state from another state by roadway/freeway, they may stop you, but they are not interested in your ID or passport, but rather if you have any fruits, vegies, plants or animals with you. They are the biggest agricultural state and worry about the spread of ag diseases.

Now, if you are traveling by RV/Motorhome or some other large vehicle, they have weigh stations that often require you to stop when entering a state. But cars, pickups, and SUVs are not stopped.

Flying into or within the US will more than likely continue to be a problem for luggage between now and the mid-term national elections in early November 2006 because of enhanced anti-terrorism measures. They may not allow carry-on luggage, and checked luggage cannot be locked. It is recommended that you do not bring anything valuable with you, as there have been occasional thefts from checked luggage (cameras, computers, I-Pods, jewelry, etc.). If you have to bring valuables, make sure they are inventoried and insured for loss.

I was terrified on my trip to America when I finally had my visa in hand. I walked up the guard and handed him my documents in Dublin aiport.

"One lucky visa holder" and he walked off into the office, a few seconds later another officer called me in and told me what I needed to know. He was so friendly, laughed and joked, welcomed me to America and shook my hand. Made me feel at ease and I knew I was going the right way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

But why would you have been terrified? If you had all the forms and everything was in order they would have no reason not to let you in.
    I had a little trouble at customs, I forgot my DS2019 form which I needed, it proved my visa status, but i have to say at first homeland security were not friendly but when i explained my situation they loosened up and were grand. I got a 30 day pass but now I have everything sorted, including a social security number!!:)

True but just a little intimidating is all and the fact I was leaving home permanently didn't help. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Got this ahead of me on wednesday...

I'll be flying from Heathrow to Boston.....best choice ever as regards security :rolleyes:

Mind yourself, safe trip and all that jazz. :)

Advertisement