Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compost

Options
  • 30-07-2006 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hope somebody can help me. I have recently started composting. The bin is about half full but every time I lift the lid a swarm of reddish fly things take off - or try to. It is disgusting and I feel like giving up already. Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Are you putting cooked food into it?
    Only uncooked food No meat
    Grass, shredded paper is good also

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Look at the make up of the compost as it is now. If it appears too dry, add a little bit of water. If it appears too wet, add a small amount of sawdust. Also, make sure you mix it regularly. There should also be a lot of worms in it. Check what you put into it as cooked food/meat will attract all sorts of vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

to get rid of the flies cover with a layer of grass cuttings , maybe put a bucket of grass aside for a cover in between mows . If its not unsightly , leaving the lid off works during the cooler months .
    In my 3 year experience this is mainly an August problem , so if it is not an ecological article of faith for you ...... try FLY SPRAY .
    We have two cats who clear up any meat leftovers and keep vermin at bay , so we compost cooked items also.

pjq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Sound like fruit flies. They'll be gone next month - relax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Yeah, the grass cuttings piled on top should do the trick ok.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not you get the classic 'crumbly' compost - the pile should settle under its own weight over time. Stick a fork into it once a week and aerate.

After a few months (6 or more) the stuff at the bottom can be removed and forked into some top soil (even if it's not all perfectly decomposed) - might stink a bit but acts like rocket fuel on any plants planted in it :D .

• Advertisement
Advertisement