Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 Speed camera Ballymun southbound

Options
  • 30-07-2006 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Anyone know the speed limit for the speed camera on the M50 at ballymun going south?
    Keep well,
    Torq

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

120 km/hr that's just guessing as that's the speed limit at that stretch on the M50

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

120 is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Unless it flashed ( and you can't miss it ) it didn't get you cos it wasn't turned on.

[offtopic]I was in the inside lane this morning heading for the airport passing the speed camera when a guy in a 95 civic tore by me doing what must have been 130/140kph. That one wasn't turned on either:( .[/offtopic]

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Torq

I was doing 100kph, i wouldn't ask for much more from a 1.1 fiesta with a dismantled motorbike in the back. As I was going through the speed trap a silver merc passed me and there was a double flash from the camera.
    Keep well,
    Torq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

My wife was driving from the airport back in February and that speed camera flashed.

Never heard any more about it. Heard on the radio a while back a statistic that less than 50% speeding offences detected by a Gatso result in a successful fine or prosecution as the image quality is supposed to be pretty poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I'm wondering how does the camera differentiate on a three lane road if all three lanes are occupied, eg, our friend Torq's fiesta under the speed limit and the merk over the limit and another car driving normally all in a line when the pic is taked, if a picture is produced how do they know who was speeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

Is there a speed camera location thread...there should be?? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

dubtom wrote:
    I'm wondering how does the camera differentiate on a three lane road if all three lanes are occupied, eg, our friend Torq's fiesta under the speed limit and the merk over the limit and another car driving normally all in a line when the pic is taked, if a picture is produced how do they know who was speeding?

It takes two pictures so they can tell who was moving faster, that's why they have the little graduated lines on the road, they allow them to verify position easily even though the picture is taken at an angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yes, in that case if the picture/camera is properly calibrated (i.e. has visual on all 3 lanes) the reviewer can check whether any or all of the cars were speeding.
    I'm not sure about the picture you'd get in the post, would it be of all three cars or just yours, or the number plate only picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You only get your number plate cropped out of the pic. You will get the 2 full pics if you ask for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

alias no.9 wrote:
    It takes two pictures so they can tell who was moving faster, that's why they have the little graduated lines on the road, they allow them to verify position easily even though the picture is taken at an angle.
    Doesn't sound very acurate to me.Those two pics must be taken at high shutter speeds,I've never seen two flashes go off so I assume they must be taken at over 1000/sec or so.I'm not surprised that most pics are unreadable especially at night, those flashes would have to be mighty powerfull to freeze the action and still get a good pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Neither of the two speed cameras on the M50 are in working order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Did they ever change the road markings so they measured your speed in kilometres?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ Squirrel - why would they need to? If they can calculate that you travelled a certain distance over a certain time then your speed can easily be calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

kbannon wrote:
    @ Squirrel - why would they need to? If they can calculate that you travelled a certain distance over a certain time then your speed can easily be calculated.

I never thought of it that way. Pretty simple

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Don't GATSOs use doppler to actually measure the speed? (irrespective of road markings, and presuming road markings are indeed in case several cars are caught in the pic, in order to determine which one(s) was/were speeding?)

Roadside radars in France have for years used doppler + optional camera with flash for night operation: you'd get 'intercepted' during day, but only photographed at night (unless just before a toll on a motorway). Only problem is it's driver-facing :eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Squirrel wrote:
    I never thought of it that way. Pretty simple
    But, has the speed limit it monitors been checked?
    ambro25 wrote:
    Roadside radars in France have for years used doppler + optional camera with flash for night operation: you'd get 'intercepted' during day, but only photographed at night (unless just before a toll on a motorway). Only problem is it's driver-facing :eek:
    I saw loads of these when there both this summer and also last year. I just gave them a nice big smile!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

wouldn't worry about that camera the limit for it is 120khm alright

got flashed by it a good while ago while rushing home late at night still aint heard anything from the gaurds

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

ambro25 wrote:
    Don't GATSOs use doppler to actually measure the speed? (irrespective of road markings, and presuming road markings are indeed in case several cars are caught in the pic, in order to determine which one(s) was/were speeding?)

Yes, they use radar to measure the speed anyway (how else would the camera know when to take pictures :) ), not 100% sure if it's doppler or some method though. The pictures are more for evidence purposes, two time stamped pictures go a long way to backing up a simple readout of speed from a radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

alias no.9 wrote:

I heard in the UK they are going one further. The speed camera at one point in the road will communicate with the other speed camera and it can tell how long you took overall to do a stretch of road instead of just slowing down for the camera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

They already have it - it's called TruVelo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

overdriver wrote:
    They already have it - it's called TruVelo.
    Not TruVelo, it's called specs. http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/SPECS.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I stand corrected.

Its there anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

They are also testing the new retractable speed bumps that sink when you go over them unless you are above a certain speed, i which case they will wreck your car.

Advertisement