Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The World's Most Pointless Animal

Options
  • 31-07-2006 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I didnt post this in the Animal forum because theyre all animal lovers and wouldnt attract the same diverse opinion as AH.
    I know that God made everything for a reason and wants us to enjoy the earth, and I dont think any animal is worthless. But there are some whose purpose is at best - baffling.

Im talking about the panda of course. wtf!? It just sits there and breeds and eats. Does it even make a noise? This is one that has always puzzled me since childhood. It just doesnt do anything.

Im sure some others will come up with some pretty interesting suggestions. The sloth, the moth and the beetle are three that Im sure most people would struggle to understand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yore Ma...

.... had to be done - better sooner than later!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Platypus... natures joke.

<3 Platypus

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

InFront wrote:
    Firstly, I didnt post this in the Animal forum because theyre all animal lovers and wouldnt attract the same diverse opinion as AH.
    I know that God made everything for a reason and wants us to enjoy the earth, and I dont think any animal is worthless. But there are some whose purpose is at best - baffling.

Im talking about the panda of course. wtf!? It just sits there and breeds and eats. Does it even make a noise? This is one that has always puzzled me since childhood. It just doesnt do anything.

Im sure some others will come up with some pretty interesting suggestions. The sloth, the moth and the beetle are three that Im sure most people would struggle to understand.

Sounds like a good life to me. The same could apply to lions. All they do is sleep, eat, and in the dominant male's case, breed. The panda is lucky in that he doesn't have to hunt food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

The human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Panda beares aren't actually bears thier cats. I know that has nothing to do with anything, but I have this weird overwhelming urge to tell everyone I meet that if they mention pandas, I don't even know if its true, I thought I seen it on a nature program one time but I could have dreamt it. (dreamt is the only word in the english language that ends in mt).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

InFront wrote:
    Im talking about the panda of course. wtf!? It just sits there and breeds and eats. Does it even make a noise?
    What's the point of humans......?
    I know people who just sit there and breed and eat.
    Sometimes it is preferable for certain people not to make noises.
    My point: Not necessarily bad traits that the panda has.
    Anyway. Surely the 'point' of animals is to survive and procreate. If you really talk about the 'point' of animals you're gonna start talking about nature and evolution and religion. Again, what's the point of humans?

Have I ruined the thread now? :o

Edit: Slipps/Wyndham/Smashey -> you guys are fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

basquille wrote:
    Yore Ma...

Yore Nan
    My point: Not necessarily bad traits that the panda has.
    Anyway. Surely the 'point' of animals is to survive and procreate. If you really talk about the 'point' of animals you're gonna start talking about nature and evolution and religion. Again, what's the point of humans?

I just mean pointless in terms of the human perspective. Even if that is anthropomorphism, I would say any animal who seems to have no motivational interest and has his diet and his mate all there laid out for him, and does nothing, exciting, is a pretty pointless animal.

*Entertain meee*!

I think we should start here and exterminate panda100.Whave to cut the head off the beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I forgot about panda100. Well we might as well start locally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah whats with the panda bashing, they are brilliant. They are natures version of the loveable dole boy. :)

• Advertisement

cats I tell ye. CATS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

slipss wrote:
    cats I tell ye. CATS!!!

Whoa, lets not say things we'll regret. Samurai Pizza Cats! :) They own a pizza shop and fight crime.

Ruu wrote:
    Whoa, lets not say things we'll regret. Samurai Pizza Cats! :) They own a pizza shop and fight crime.

Wow creepy, whats the deal with those guys? I think I might remember them from somewhere, whats up?. Ahh crap, you do realise they'll be in my nightmares tonight. Hopefully they might replace the little cartoon cow that grows up to be a mince pie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Its not quite a bear...its not quite a zebra...its just, a panda...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

wasps are the worst, i bleedin hate em i mean bees are ok with there little furry pelts n all, but wasps make me freak out im scared s***less of them:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 2Tagz

I would say that it depends on your perspective really, a sloth may seem pointless to a human but to a flea it's a godsend..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 2Tagz

Sorry, just noticed InFronts earlier post so would would have to say Suicide Bombers as most pointless animals. BTW anthropomorphism, I like it..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

InFront wrote:

A space ship lands on Earth. The space travelers observe an infestation of over 6 billion creatures that make a lot of noise, pollute and overpopulate the planet, and kill, mistreat, and make war on their fellow creatures. These space travelers wonder what value these crude creatures have to the planet or the universe?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

one time but I could have dreamt it. (dreamt is the only word in the english language that ends in mt).

Hilarious :):)

Who the F**k likes fleas and ticks??? Some insects clear the land of rotting corpses and stuff, but TICKS!, they feed on the living /shudder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Oh yeah, don't cows farts do lots of harm to the Ozone, and THEY don't bat an eyelid. (Cows have big eyelids)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I want to own a sloth when I'm older.

Imagine this guy swinging around your room...

I suppose I'd settle for a Panda too...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Oh yeah, don't cows farts do lots of harm to the Ozone, and THEY don't bat an eyelid. (Cows have big eyelids)

Oh, did you hear about the study that was funded for Washington State University, Pullman, WA, USA, to measure the amount of methane gas emitted by cows belching? Real study funded by the US government at $70,000 USD per year for two years!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Daddy long-legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

A space ship lands on Earth. The space travelers observe an infestation of over 6 billion creatures that make a lot of noise, pollute and overpopulate the planet, and kill, mistreat, and make war on their fellow creatures. These space travelers wonder what value these crude creatures have to the planet or the universe?:rolleyes:

Oh! A self hating human haven’t seen one of them around before :rolleyes:

I recommend self hating humans as the most pointless animals on the planet if you can’t see the over whelming superiority and value to this planet and perhapes many coutless others in the future of your own species then theirs no hope for you really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

slipss wrote:
    Panda beares aren't actually bears thier cats. I know that has nothing to do with anything, but I have this weird overwhelming urge to tell everyone I meet that if they mention pandas, I don't even know if its true, I thought I seen it on a nature program one time but I could have dreamt it. (dreamt is the only word in the english language that ends in mt).
    And yet:
    "The giant panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca "black-and-white cat-foot") is a mammal classified in the bear family, Ursidae, native to central and southern China."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Panda

"Giant pandas are classified as bears and have the digestive system of a carnivore, but they have adapted to a vegetarian diet and depend almost exclusively on bamboo as a food source."
    http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/what_we_do/species/our_solutions/endangered_species/giant_panda/index.cfm

You want to back up your statement with some evidence? Though I think the guys from WWF would pretty much be the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

farohar wrote:
    And yet:
    "The giant panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca "black-and-white cat-foot") is a mammal classified in the bear family, Ursidae, native to central and southern China."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Panda

"Giant pandas are classified as bears and have the digestive system of a carnivore, but they have adapted to a vegetarian diet and depend almost exclusively on bamboo as a food source."
    http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/what_we_do/species/our_solutions/endangered_species/giant_panda/index.cfm

You want to back up your statement with some evidence? Though I think the guys from WWF would pretty much be the experts.
    you just read the first sentence in his post, didn't you?
    then you got all het up and decided that you would show him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

InFront wrote:
    Im talking about the panda of course. wtf!? It just sits there and breeds and eats.

Em....sounds to me like the Panda has reached a massive level of enlightenment over the old homo-sapien.

All they need to do is eat and fu*k while we fill our lives with pointlessness.

Who is the most pointless animal again??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

slipss. wrote:
    (dreamt is the only word in the english language that ends in mt).

theres the past tense of blame too...blemt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

julep wrote:
    you just read the first sentence in his post, didn't you?
    then you got all het up and decided that you would show him up.
    Opening anything up with a statement when you have no idea of how truthful it is only spreads bad info, best to deal with it, or do you want Ireland to become America 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Pandas are actually insects.

Advertisement