Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The World's Most Pointless Animal

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

farohar wrote:
    And yet:
    "The giant panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca "black-and-white cat-foot") is a mammal classified in the bear family, Ursidae, native to central and southern China."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Panda

"Giant pandas are classified as bears and have the digestive system of a carnivore, but they have adapted to a vegetarian diet and depend almost exclusively on bamboo as a food source."
    http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/what_we_do/species/our_solutions/endangered_species/giant_panda/index.cfm

"You want to back up your statement with some evidence? Though I think the guys from WWF would pretty much be the experts.
    "

The guys from WWF?Fair enough says i,i rang Hulk Hogana and Jake The Snake to ask them and they hadnt got a clue what i was on about.Thanks for the usless advice mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Degsy wrote:
    "

The guys from WWF?Fair enough says i,i rang Hulk Hogana and Jake The Snake to ask them and they hadnt got a clue what i was on about.Thanks for the usless advice mate.
    If you bothered to:
    (a) click the link
    (b) keep up to date
    you'd know that WWF has nothing to do with wrestling. I hate wrestling and even I know they've long since changed the abreviation for the main organisation.
    Have to agree with Blub2k4's view of you and your average post's content...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Every animal fills a function, it'd be extinct otherwise according to Darwin.
    A lot of them are there to eat leaves and grass, some are there to eat other animals and some are there for our amusement (and hunting/trapping).
    It's the way God intended it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Degsy wrote:
    "

I miss the WWF

QUOTE]

Not long now.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

what about the sub species of goat that collapses and becomes rigid (sort of like a catatonic fit) when startled? from what I gather, it's supposedly some defence mechanism - appearing dead, but i would have thought it would have just made it easier for any potential predator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭#Smokey#

cock-a-roaches are the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

biko wrote:

Actually, that is not strictly true. Darwins Theory is often thought to mean survival of the fittest but it actually meant survivial of the most adaptable to change.

As such, the Panda would only be extinct under Darwins theory if it has been forced to deal with some kind of change and was not up to the job.

It is entirely possible the the Panda evolved to a point and then never had to evolve past that point as it was never forced to undergo any more change of environment, predator/prey interplay or food sourcing.

As such just existing does not automatically imply that you have a role to play.

For me, Panda's are a pretty cool animal, who don't really seem to want to hurt anyone so i say "it's all good".:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Hippos.

Although if it wasn't for them Hungry Hippos would have never been invented. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Click me...

The worlds most pointless animal, its sexually attracted to fire!

Click me...

The worlds most pointless animal, its sexually attracted to fire!

:eek: Wtf is that thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Watch, from the Simpsons *screams*:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

The sad panda is FAR from pointless!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

farohar wrote:
    If you bothered to:
    (a) click the link
    (b) keep up to date
    you'd know that WWF has nothing to do with wrestling. I hate wrestling and even I know they've long since changed the abreviation for the main organisation.

Do you really?How hurtfull.Call my shrink you and burp242k dont like my posts,i'm a broken man.:rolleyes:

Ruu wrote:
    Watch, from the Simpsons *screams*:)

Haha, :D that's hilarious

[ I say that sentence too much ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

farohar wrote:
    If you bothered to:
    (a) click the link
    (b) keep up to date
    Hey, you seem like a fun guy, wanna be friends? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Gordon wrote:
    Pandas are actually insects.
    I thought they were a herb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

If Panda's actually sat around and bred all the time then they wouldn't be endangered. Stupid animals just don't get it on enough.

Anyway, my vote for the most useless animal would be the dolphin. They swim around thinking there so smart, plotting their overthrow of the human race from their watery fortresses, laughing in that menacing cackling manner. I say mine and depthcharge Dingle bay. Down with dolphins!!! Buy tins of tuna friendly dolphin!!!! Use their skin for wallets. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Rhyme wrote:
    I thought they were a herb?
    Only when you eat them with ivory cutlery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Jellyfish I mean what good do they do....And they don't taste nice either...any animal that doesn't taste good is pointless. :D

The Saint wrote:
    If Panda's actually sat around and bred all the time then they wouldn't be endangered. Stupid animals just don't get it on enough.

Anyway, my vote for the most useless animal would be the dolphin. They swim around thinking there so smart, plotting their overthrow of the human race from their watery fortresses, laughing in that menacing cackling manner. I say mine and depthcharge Dingle bay. Down with dolphins!!! Buy tins of tuna friendly dolphin!!!! Use their skin for wallets. Bastards.

What and have Bud and Sandy trapped in the haunted caves of Everglade Country Park again? Dont you know how badly off the world would be if we didnt have Flipper, the dophin who was faster than lightening? Youre silly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Surely the world's most useless animal would be some form of parasite? Many of these have no actual benefit to them (either symbyotic or during non-parasitic stages in their lifecycles).

InFront wrote:
    What and have Bud and Sandy trapped in the haunted caves of Everglade Country Park again? Dont you know how badly off the world would be if we didnt have Flipper, the dophin who was faster than lightening? Youre silly!
    Flipper ate babies and was a paedophile. He was also a freedom hater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The Saint wrote:

I heard that as well. There was also a rumour that him and skippy were running the Australian leg of the KKK.

Where was America then, eh?

The Saint wrote:

Try to see beyond all of that, remember the good he did. Underneath that cold exterior, the paedophile grin, his cynical rattle, there was a dolphon who just wanted to make the world a better place.

Farohar thats a fair point. In retrospect I am willing to concede that things like Clostridium Tetani (the little bugger who gives you tetanus) and Lysteria monocytogenes (gives you Lysteriosis) are slightly more pointless than the boring panda. But only a small bit. Pandas can be vicious too you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Godan: Insect comment, hilarious.
    Degsy: WWF = World Wildlife Foundation, not WWE, World Wrestling Entertainment.
    Fanny C: The defense mechanism is that it confuses the predator, predator doesnt have a clue what just happened, gets a bit freaked and leaves. Whether it works or not, I have no idea :)

As for the aul Panda, the thing eats but is hardly breeding..

Most pointless animal, by far, is the midget. They have zero purpose in life, bar gathering under trees and proceeding to itch a passerbys scalp.

Mear wrote:
    Most pointless animal, by far, is the midget. They have zero purpose in life, bar gathering under trees and proceeding to itch a passerbys scalp.
    Hey, just because they're shorter than average folk doesn't mean that they serve no purpose (nearly spelt porpoise there, don't get me started on those bastards). They are still people, just a little shorter. And if they're loitering under trees scratching the heads of passers by then call the guards and they should move them along without much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

I vote for the wolf eel who's only apparent purpose is flying out of underwater caves to scare the sh*t out of divers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Scumbags....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How about this furry little critter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The Panda is neither a bear, nor a cat and not even an insect, it's a

FIAT

so off with this thread to the motors forum ...

Advertisement