Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your stress dream?

• 31-07-2006 8:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

This is a little bit like the “what dreams do you have often?” thread but I’m more interested in finding out if other people have specific recurring dreams that they recognise as being indicative of anxiety/ stress and maybe even see them as a signal to take control of something in your life?

Mine is usually about cows… I’ve had them for years and have learned to recognised that they vary from being mildly frustrating to downright terrifying depending on the level of stress I have going on in my life at that particular time. When I’m getting a bit stressed or frustrated by something a typical dream would be that I’m trying to get some calves to go through a gate and they’re running all over the place. They usually eventually go where they’re supposed to go which I take to mean that things will be ok, I can handle whatever it is that is stressing me. Then there have been particularly terrifying ones at really stressful times in my life. One of the worst was when I was being chased by the biggest, scariest bull and eventually he had me pinned up against a tree ( I could actually feel pain) and as I looked him I knew that the next time he hit me I would die. I could see my father on a hill with a shotgun aiming at the bull and I knew that if he didn’t shoot the bull before he got me, I was dead. The bull lowered his head and started running toward me again…. My father lifted the gun … and I woke up. (lots of symbolism in that one I think)

Yes I did grow up on a farm!

So what’s your stress dream? Other classics I’ve had are teeth falling out, suddenly naked in the street, wearing my wellies on the school bus, being late for something but I can’t find my shoes, being on the (public) loo but the cubicle door/ walls only come up as far as my shoulders so everyone can see me. I’ve also had my face fall off!

Though these dreams are scary I find them quite therapeutic in that I take them as a sign for me to step back, take stock of what’s going on in my life and take steps to sort out or address whatever it is that’s causing me stress.

Cheers
    P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

littlebug wrote:
    Mine is usually about cows…

After reading that line, I thought you were going to tell me about seven skinny cows and seven fat ones. :D

I think I mentioned somewhere else in the forum that thunderstorms is a dream that occurs repeatedly with me. I've also had several doomsday dreams, which are so realistic it would scare the life out of you.

Whenever things are a bit unsettled, one of these two make an appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Dinasours or sharks is mine. It nearly always happens just before we go to the beach or somewhere with water. I will dream I am been chased or drowning and one or the other will be trying to have me for lunch. I know it is a fear I have always had of water or been eaten. It scares the life out of me. But I always get into the water when we do go to the beach or pool or what ever but I have never got rid of the fear of it. (jaws had a huge affect on me :D )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Being chased by various doo dads. sometimes the bastards catch me, more often they catch ppl who are running with me. can make ya panic a fair bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ST* wrote:
    After reading that line, I thought you were going to tell me about seven skinny cows and seven fat ones. :D

it took me a full 24 hours to figure that reference out! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Definitely the teeth falling out dream. I've had so many different variations and each time I wake up completely freaked out. Usually I know that I'm dreaming but often in the dream I think I've woken up already and that my teeth really have fallen out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Mine is a tidal wave dream. We have prior warning of the wave and I'm driving around trying to evacuate all my family. I could tell you at this stage what route I would take should a wave ever threaten Ireland I've had that dream so many times. Sometimes I just let the wave wash all over me though in the dream because I couldn't be bothered getting stressed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Yep, teeth falling out for me too.

Sometimes I get this coupled with a scenario where I'm trying to catch up with someone and I'm shouting after them but I can't get to them and they cant hear me..and all the while my teeth are getting more and more loose til they start dropping out.. sometimes wake up crying from that one. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mine is being covered with those daddy long legs (crane flies), I was terrified of them as a kid but when I had the chance I used to torture them. I bet they are getting be back now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 molypiper

mine is about snakes..they'd try to bite me! some succeed and some don't coz i try to fight back with them...rather scary!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I have the teeth falling out dream on occasion too. Seems to be quite a common one. I hear it usually has something to do with a fear for your public image, or of not being accepted -- teeth being a major feature of most peoples appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I'm running around the house trying to close the windows because there is something malevolent outside trying to get in - so I'm running checking the windows and doors and keep discovering ones I've missed. I'm tryin to protect who's in the house - it's awful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

A recurrent night terror stemming from an unfortuntate childhood experience. More frequently occurs when I am stressed about something, and lately that's been my recent change in occupational orientation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I recently realised that when I am stressed I sleep walk and have night terrors. I walk around the room all night, sometimes I thrash the place, sometimes I wake up with cuts and stuff. When I am stressed it seems to happen in four week periods. Its really awful, sometimes it starts with thinking there are things, usually spiders walking on me! :(

TheGooner wrote:
    I recently realised that when I am stressed I sleep walk and have night terrors. I walk around the room all night, sometimes I thrash the place, sometimes I wake up with cuts and stuff. When I am stressed it seems to happen in four week periods. Its really awful, sometimes it starts with thinking there are things, usually spiders walking on me! :(

:eek: O my god spiders. Just another thing I am not found of. That would give me nightmares just thinking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

kshiel wrote:
    :eek: O my god spiders. Just another thing I am not found of. That would give me nightmares just thinking about it.

yeppers, if not walking on me, swarming all under the bed. Its horrific being part awake whilst this is going on!!

TheGooner wrote:
    yeppers, if not walking on me, swarming all under the bed. Its horrific being part awake whilst this is going on!!

I seriously would not get out of the bed until someone came in to check they were gone.

Dont spiders in a dream have a good meaning though. Not sure but are they something that symbolises strength and cunning mind. Must have a look around to see what I can find out.

TheGooner wrote:

I seriously would not get out of the bed until someone came in to check they were gone.

Dont spiders in a dream have a good meaning though. Not sure but are they something that symbolises strength and cunning mind. Must have a look around to see what I can find out.

Looked up a couple of dream Interpertations and it seems spiders in general mean good fortune.

Although some think it might be a hidden fear also kinda depends on what happens in the dream. there was a site enterdream.com which gave a very broad range of interperation with a prediction attached which I would not buy into but some are fun to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Yep, it's the teeth falling out for me too. Often I wake up and think 'okay, so a few of my teeth have fallen out, I'm just going to have to deal with this' - it's a big relief when I realise that they haven't!:D
    I hear it usually has something to do with a fear for your public image, or of not being accepted -- teeth being a major feature of most peoples appearance.

I read once that it's to do with growing up or going through a major change in your life that's forcing you to act maturely, or in a way that you're not used to. Which I think makes sense, as it relates back to when you lose your milk teeth as a kid. But your explanation is good too!

Hey Thegooner. Since you posted up your dream of spiders, I have had dreams about spiders in my hair. Awful dreams, keep scratching my head (in dream) and my hubby would pull out a big spider and would then kill it. Am just glad hubby is there in dream to kill the big **** thing.

May have a big big glass of wine tonight to get that image out my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

I often have a dream of reversing a big van with no back windows down a narrow street at an increasing speed until its out of control and going at a mad pace until it just starts driving itself and I hang on for dear life.

Also I have regular dreams of working back at an old company and think why am I back at this aul' shyte hole.

I put a post in about "daft dream" which I suppose seems like a stress dream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

i've been having the exact same dream lately about a funeral...but it's always for different people. And before the mass starts they always play a song by the fav artist/band of my friend/family member. Most of the people I dream about are still alive, however sometimes I dream that its the funeral of deceased people i know. Whatever it means, I'm freaked out in the morning and have to text the person who "died" to make sure they're ok!!

Advertisement