Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPO - no show!!!

Options
  • 31-07-2006 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

A bit of a whinge here from someone who dosen't go out that often, but the last 3 times I have gone to the GPO the Guest DJ's never turned up.

one of the Fun Loving Criminals were feeling ill.

Billy Nasty was in a car crash (the following night).

& on Saturday night Felix The Housecat was stuck in an airport.

is it just a ploy by the GPO to get the punters in? all these gigs were promoted by ticketmaster & FTH was supposed to be on 2fm & was advertised as part of project 06.

dose anyone know if Josh Wink showed up last night? if not what was his excuse (did he have Diarrhoea)? & when is the last time the Guest DJ actually turned up at the GPO?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

it's fairly crappy alright
    and the date they rescheduled billy nasty for just happens to be the date daft punk are playing in dublin:(

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

felix did show eventually on sat though didn't he? he'd want to have showed for 25notes

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

I dont think he showed, it was €10 on the door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 emma-ry-ah

As far as I'm aware he didnt show at all... I drove past the club when I heard to find out what the story was with getting my money back. They said he was stuck in Barcelona due to a late flight. They said anyone with a ticket could get in for free and return the ticket to RedLight Records the next day for a refund. I think that was pretty decent of them... free entry and your money back. I went to RedLight the next day and was given my money back straight away. :)
    I've seen him twice before so I didnt really mind anyway, saved me 25 quid I really didnt have in the first place!!

emma-ry-ah wrote:
    They said anyone with a ticket could get in for free and return the ticket to RedLight Records the next day for a refund. I think that was pretty decent of them... free entry and your money back. I went to RedLight the next day and was given my money back straight away. :)

I was told that alright & it was a decent night, the thing that i am kind of put out by is the fact that this is a bit of a trend for the Gippo.

Did Josh Wink turn up last night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

You get a refund at least plus I heard the show was pretty good regardless

I have my suspicions with NUIG and all the comedy soc cancellations of well known comedians - just used to draw crowds I suspect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Did Josh Wink turn up last night?
    Indeed, I believe he did.

Indeed, I believe he did.

kind of voids my whole point so!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

the whole felix thing was a pisser but refunds are abvailable and it was a tenner at the door for everyone else still was a brilliant weekend. josh wink played a savage night too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 prguru

This is the 3rd time in as many months. Me thinks the GPO aren't booking events. Instead getting publicity and trying to fill the club

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Easy way to fill the club, people think they're getting a deal when in fact they're paying a tenner into an absolute dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

prguru: 3rd time in as many months.
    It's the summer. One gig a month (out of a guessimated max of say 2 a weekend x 4 weekends = 16 gigs) where something goes wrong isn't exactly scalping you in your sleep. Also, could you post dates and acts for those three events please? Or did you just mis-read the posts above?

Amazon: While the gippo isn't my favourite venue, you're going on assumptions. As has been stated by those who were there for Felix, those with a ticket had the door charge waived, those who were down on spec paid the normal door price. That doesn't sound like nefarious conduct to me.

Could someone verify if they were charging a tenner all night, or if they only started accepting non-ticket holders after FTH's no-show was confirmed?

Irregardless, the average nightlife in Galway is lacking in zest. And it's all our fault.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but so many cancellations does damage their credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Jfla

Felix Da F**king B*****D!!!!

Thats his third no show in ireland since decembers. On Dec 30th I was dying with a bug. Dragged myself out of bed to see felix in the trinity rooms in limerick, he didn't show. The organisers printed out an email he sent, he said his father was sick. Yeah rite, a few too many christmas lines methinks. Went to see him in Carlow in the music factory a few months back, guess what?.... No show once more, said he missed his flight. Can't believe he did to again. Just shows he does not care any more. ****in Prick

MMmm....smell the vindication.

Fame, eh? It's a funny old game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

SyxPak wrote:
    MMmm....smell the vindication.

Fame, eh? It's a funny old game.

fame
    n.

Great renown: a concert violinist of international fame.
    Public estimation; reputation: a politician of ill fame.
    Archaic. Rumor.

tr.v. famed, fam·ing, fames
    To make renowned or famous.
    Archaic. To report to be.

game
    n.
    An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime: party games; word games.

A competitive activity or sport in which players contend with each other according to a set of rules: the game of basketball; the game of gin rummy.
    A single instance of such an activity: We lost the first game.
    games An organized athletic program or contest: track-and-field games; took part in the winter games.
    A period of competition or challenge: It was too late in the game to change the schedule of the project.

The total number of points required to win a game: One hundred points is game in bridge.
    The score accumulated at any given time in a game: The game is now 14 to 12.
    The equipment needed for playing certain games: packed the children's games in the car.
    A particular style or manner of playing a game: improved my tennis game with practice.
    Informal.
    An active interest or pursuit, especially one involving competitive engagement or adherence to rules: “the way the system operates, the access game, the turf game, the image game” (Hedrick Smith).
    A business or occupation; a line: the insurance game.
    An illegal activity; a racket.
    Informal.
    Evasive, trifling, or manipulative behavior: wanted a straight answer, not more of their tiresome games.
    A calculated strategy or approach; a scheme: I saw through their game from the very beginning.
    Mathematics. A model of a competitive situation that identifies interested parties and stipulates rules governing all aspects of the competition, used in game theory to determine the optimal course of action for an interested party.

Wild animals, birds, or fish hunted for food or sport.
    The flesh of these animals, eaten as food.

An object of attack, ridicule, or pursuit: The press considered the candidate's indiscretions to be game.
    Mockery; sport: The older children teased and made game of the newcomer.

Syx tells lies

And porkie pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Im not a fan of the GPO, but they handled it in the best way possible, normally clubs just dont say a word and say they cancelled as late as possible to rip everyone off.

Plus it must have been a killer for them, especially after louis Vega bombed on them (hes about €13000 to book).

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

who is the promoter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

wouldn't bother my hole goin to that dump anyhow to be honest,the bouncers are shiat,my mate got bet up by nackers 3 years ago outside the club(nose break etc.) and the bouncers didn't bother their hole doin anything,another mate nearly got bottled at the main bar a month or so ago for striking up conversation with a lad, he informed the bouncers of this crazy individual and they didn't give a flying fcuk.

i was there with a group of lads a few weeks ago and a few chics kept shouldering me for some reason(not overly attractive might i add),could someone who regularly goes to g.p.o. please clarify for me please-is this how the mating process initiates when in such social surroundings??????????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BannedGugai

I've nothing to do with the GPO, but there is no way they would pretend to book people just to get people to come along and then cancel, because, especially in the internet world and dealing with sharp agents protecting their clients, there is no way that could happen. I would think it's honestly a run of bad luck, these things happen. I know from experience there's nothing you can do sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 GPO

Hello all.

After fellow promoters / club managers forwarding on the link to this thread, we thought we should have our say.

First and foremost, apologies to all those who were both disappointed and inconvenienced by the cancellations of FLC, Billy and Felix.

I'll address each of these cancellations individually and try to clear up any misunderstanding . . .

FUN LOVIN CRIMINALS - Huey was sick or at least that's the excuse we were given. We were notified at 1pm the day of the gig that Huey wouldn't travel because of illness but the other two (FAST & FRANK) would. We all know that Huey is the centre of attention in FLC and a show without Huey would be as good as no show. We decided to pull the show as a consequence because we feel it would have been worse putting it on and having two guys up there who no one recognises. Apologies to those who were left disappointed.

BILLY NASTY - Billy was on route to Gatwick and wrote off his brand new car which he bought only a week previously. He escaped serious injury and was left with only cuts and bruises. Johnny and Arveene did the night instead and rocked the place. Billy date is rescheduled to Friday Aug 25th (same as Daft Punk I know, it's killin me too) - his flights are booked and fee paid so he'll be there!.

FELIX - He got stuck in Barcelona (where he lives) because of airport strike. We were really pissed with this as we feel he could've done more to get here (use other airport etc). Obviously with Felix, five figures isn't enough for that hassle. We let everyone who had bought a ticket in advance in for free (as well as getting their refunds). They got a great show with Sebastien Leger playing an excellent set and Johnny & Arveene also doing the business in Drum. Everyone else who came in that night, but didn't have advance ticket, got in for €10.

At this stage I'd like to point out something about our door prices. For all our guest shows, bar one or two exceptions, we charge €10. For Billy, Fun Lovin Crims, Josh Wink, DJ Spinna, Linus Loves, Japanese Popstars . . . all only €10 in . Roni Size is €12. Tim Deluxe on Oct 28 will be €10 as will Simain Mobile Disco on 27th. We are not ripping anyone off and we are the ones that are absorbing the cost of these gigs. We may not be regarded as the cleanest or most perfect club in Galway, but we do give as much as we can back to our customers in terms of regular guests and competitve prices.

We could easily sit on our holes and not book anything, and like other clubs, continue to charge you €10 for listening to Shakira and Nelly Furtado but we won't, because we're better than that. Everyone who works in GPO still goes out, still likes to listen to music, still likes to go clubbing, still stays up til stupid o clock in the morning talkin ****e to strangers!! We strive to put Galway back on the map - we want to give Galway clubbers something back, we want them to have something to remember!!

Galway has had a few rubbish years go by in terms of clubbing with all clubs / bars opting for the fast buck option with the exception of the Vic & Roisins. We're actively trying to change that in GPO since management changed around last February. We'll continue to book the best acts we can get our hands on and try to build a respectable and quality local resident base (send in your cd's / mixes!!) - we can't do this entirely on our own either so we need your support. If there's guys out there who you think should be playing in GPO, then get them to get in touch with us for a chat and we'll put them on.

At the end of the day, the GPO is your club. By turning up for these gigs as you all did for weekender it's a strong show of support for the direction that we're taking. Unfortunatley, cancellations and flight problems happen but it's a reality that we have to get used to. We book well in advance so trying to predict what's going to happen with future bookings is to say the least, difficult!. Needless to say, we'll push on and continue to bring you the best we can get our hands on.

If anyone has further questions then drop me a line. Also, let me know by mail if there's any acts you'd like to see play GPO.

Apologies again to everyone who was pissed off with the cancellations

All the best

Ferg

Promoter
    GPO Nightclub
    Eglinton Street
    Galway
    ferg@gpo.ie
    www.gpo.ie
    www.myspace.com/gponightclub

G'man Ferg, nice to see a reply to a thread from a business that doesn't involve the threat of legal action for once smile.gif

I mean that sincerely. Far too much legalese and libel b0ll0x floating around as of late.

Put me in my spot anyway. Fair play on the reply Ferg and agree completely with the ethos of what you're trying. Hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah good man Ferg, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭millivanilli

it was a pisser that felix didn't show but at least we all got a refund no hassle unlike dj hype on sunday in the vic i haven't been able to get a refund because i just paid at the door and don't have a ticket or proof of purchase which is ****ty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Kudos on the well thought out reply, Ferg.
    as Syx has said, that kind of reply from a promoter is a breath of fresh air these days.
    Nice to know that the GPO is under new managment (was beginning to wonder why it had started to get a rake of good nights all of a sudden:p )

Just wondering if i'll still be able to get a refund for Billy Nasty?
    Have the old ticket sitting here gathering dust and i'll be heading to DP that night:(

I might send a CD your way soon actually...

/edit
    come to think of it, i did have one minor complaint about the way the original Billy Nasty gig was handled.
    Johnny Moy seemed to be doing a good job with the choice of tunes at one stage, beginning to veer into nice deep bass driven techno that i came to the night expecting to hear. he then went back to playing stuff like "The Rocker", and Arvene came on and proceeded to play more of the same music...
    Still had a blinder of a night, but it was all a little too reminiscant of the many nights i've had out in the Vic...

Cheers for the positive feedback guys. It's really appreciated - especially in this game!

tman - You can get refund from point of purchase - any probs, drop me a mail and I'll refund you myself. Hoping to head to Daft Punk too (if I can get someone to look after Billy in GPO!). They rocked the place at Global Gathering in UK according to Josh Wink so I know I'd be kickin myself if I missed it. Send on the cd my man, we really are cryin out for new local talent!
    With regard Billy Nasty night and Johnny & Arveene's choice of tunes - I'll let them know - they appreciate feedback (positive or negative) like any self-respecting DJ should

millivanilli - Sorry to hear about your bad Hype experience but as a small consolation, I have him in GPO Friday April 6th - I know it's miles off but thought I'd let you know anyway. Hype I reckon, is the only DJ in the UK that has a Summer 2007 diary open already - and according to his agent, it's nearly full! - Lots more Drum 'n' Bass stuff coming in before xmas too including Roni Size, Goldie and local lads Ernie & Jay Q . . .

Anyway, I'm here in GPO Towers 24/7 (and it feels like it at this stage) - if there's any probs with anything or if you're just bored and want to have a chat about what acts you'd like to see etc, then drop me a mail. It's good to know the people who come thru the doors here and the better we know you, the better we can meet your needs!!

Adios amigos!

Ferg

ferg@gpo.ie
    www.gpo.ie
    www.myspace.com/gponightclub

Can I just say that on a monday night during term.You could not beat the GPO for the craic.Is it going to be same schedule next term?:)

• Advertisement

Can I just say that on a monday night during term.You could not beat the GPO for the craic.Is it going to be same schedule next term?:)

Mondays will be the same - it's v popular alright, even thru the summer. We'll be throwing in more along the lines of Tequila Pours and all that messy stuff that the students lap up. We're scheduling the rest this week.

Wednesdays will remain Eighties night but with the addition of DJ in Drum playing stuff for people who get irritated by the 80's (there's a lot of you out there!)

Fridays will have residents Arveene, Johnny Moy & Barry Redsetta plus regular guests

The other nights like I said are being sorted this week

Also, we'll be doing a major demolition / refit / renovation of Drum Bar. We've been delayed with planning issues and other stuff but it's all sorted now with a start date to be announced shortly. The new venue will increase our combined capacity to 1350 with full live capability and more. The design is contemporary with some seriously cool features.
    The GPO will get a new sound and light system, new DJ box, High Definition Screens and Visual System and all the fixed and loose seating will be replaced.

We expect to relaunch mid December around the time exams wind up.

We'll keep you informed of what's going on thru our website www.gpo.ie - which incidentally is getting a new look also. New site will go live in a week or so with loads of features including downloadable mixes from Arveene, Ferg, Johnny Moy and an exclusive mix from Cagedbaby. Also, you will be able to buy tickets for all gigs - saving you the booking fee that those thieves at ticketmaster charge.

Advertisement