Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Ships 2011

• 31-07-2006 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

From Today's (Monday 31 July) Irish Examiner
    ==================================

CORK city is about to go head-to-head with Waterford in a bid to host the Tall Ships Race in 2011.

But there are concerns that ESB pylons erected across the lower harbour could scuttle the plans.

City manager Joe Gavin told councillors he will put together a bid to secure the prestigious multi-million event for the city to mark the 20th anniversary of the race’s last call to Cork.

However, Green Cllr Chris O’Leary has asked Mr Gavin to discuss the pylons issue with the ESB.

Cork will also face tough competition from Waterford which hosted last year’s event and which has already launched its bid to get the race back in 2011.

Waterford attracted up to 450,000 people to the city to watch last year’s event.

It generated an estimated €30 million for the local economy and up to €6 million in positive publicity.

Race organisers Sail Training International (STI) approached Waterford city officials after the race and asked them to prepare a formal bid for 2011.

The council has already had discussions with a number of partner organisations including the Port of Waterford and Fáilte Ireland with a view to preparing a formal bid. Work on their submission began last month.

But Cork city councillor Tom O’Driscoll said Cork should also launch a bid for the 2011 event.

It would be fitting given that 2011 would be the 20th anniversary of the race’s last call to Cork, he said.

Waterford city manager Conn Murray said while competition would be tough, his city is in a very strong position.

“Our hosting of last year’s event generated tremendous goodwill among the sail training community across Europe and beyond and we are hopeful of a positive outcome to the bid process,” he said.

“Waterford will be in an even stronger position to host the massive crowds the event attracts by 2011 as the Waterford City Bypass and the dual-carriageway linking the city with Dublin will both be in use.”
    ========================================================
    Cork has already taken our ESB Office, Regional Director of IDA, AN Post Sorting Office, An Bord Gais... and now want this too

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hope Waterford get that again..How typical of Cork; they see someone else's success then want to grab it for their own...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Why choose to bid for 2011 though and not some other year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Maybe they've all been decided up until then? Just guessing.
    At least we won't have to look across at the old Greencore building on the north quays, we'll have the fancy sign to look at instead.
    Incidentally a buddy of mine in the corpo told me that the old sign cost €33,000! How true that is I have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

It actually belonged(Belongs) to IAWS of Cuisine de France fame.. Was this sold in the recent sale of the North Quays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Bards wrote:
    It actually belonged(Belongs) to IAWS of Cuisine de France fame.. Was this sold in the recent sale of the North Quays?
    Weren't the silos and building part of Bestock? I'm not sure if IAWS took them over but I know Bestock was definitely there, some of my friends families worked there for years. I was sure that Greencore was the parent company.
    Ah well, you live and learn I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

mfitzy wrote:
    Hope Waterford get that again..How typical of Cork; they see someone else's success then want to grab it for their own...

really? imagine wanting to get millions for your own city. it is unheard of. for shame Cork, for shame

Hope that last bit about the N9 being ready before that time also turns out to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Al the road stuff will be done by 2010. Those silos are a permenant fixture as far as I know. The proposed North Quays development has them as part of the design (i think!).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Mossy Monk wrote:
    really? imagine wanting to get millions for your own city. it is unheard of. for shame Cork, for shame

I'm sure they could find something else, where they weren't competing with another irish city! Typical Cork!

Next they'll be trying to muscle in on the cats laughs or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

mfitzy wrote:
    hah hopefully limerick will get in on it then... only joking the riverfest in limerick is getting bigger every year
    waterford is not known for much and as much as i love cork i think waterford deserves it more
    cork had its european capital of culture last year sure
    let the 5th city have something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

why should waterford get it again before cork out of the ports in the world going for it, the waterford complex raises its ugly head again via this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Mossy Monk wrote:

Cork allready has Cork week, the biggest Irish sailing event on the calender where every B&B puts up their prices (typically) and everything costs twice as much as it usually does. I was delighted to see Waterford didn't do this. Cork also has the Jaz festival...

it doesnt matter what else Cork or anywhere else already has. if Waterford is the best place to host it then Waterford will win. they did a fantastic job last year so that should imo give them a big advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Considering what Cork did to the Capital of Culture concept, I'd be reluctant in allowing them orgainising another international event.

Considering what Cork did to the Capital of Culture concept, I'd be reluctant in allowing them orgainising another international event.

Yes, I don't think that was a major success. Think the highlight was their all Ireland success in hurling which doesnt say much for the festival really.

Thats crazy that the IDA HQ and other things were moved to Cork from the south east. It's not even the same region for god-sake.Now I hear they control the HSE Southern region too, which replaced the former South Eastern Health board. Imagine place like North KK, Wexford and Carlow being administered from Cork, what a stupid decision. We should ahve been brought under the Tullamore office. I think the old HQ is still an office of the HSE, but I would imagine it's power and scope for development of this THIS region will be undermined by Cork over time...
    As you've probably guessed I don't have much time for Cork...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

why should waterford get it again before cork out of the ports in the world going for it, the waterford complex raises its ugly head again via this forum

Well it is the Waterford forum.You seem to like it well enough that you come back for more. If you were familiar with the history of Waterford and its treatment in this country you would be only too aware of the reason we have a 'complex'

On the other hand judging by your atitude on other threads,and not just ones relevant to Waterford,You are into dissent just for the sake of it.

and your contribution is just brilliant

on topic please

Mossy Monk wrote:
    and your contribution is just brilliant

on topic please

Meaning?

meaning "please talk about the topic on hand. the Tall Ships 2011"

Mossy Monk wrote:
    meaning "please talk about the topic on hand. the Tall Ships 2011"

That is fair enough Mossy but in fairness the replys to posts by 'lost expectation' in this forum seem tend to be more about disagreement than debate. I have found this in his replys to my posts when using another username.I have also seen it in his posts on other forums. I was content to just read the posts on this and not to reply.

It would be a lot easier staying 'on topic' if internet trolls were dealt with properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

[/QUOTE]...Thats crazy that the IDA HQ and other things were moved to Cork from the south east. ...[/QUOTE]

The IDA HQ for the South East region is still in Waterford, please see attached link.

http://www.idaireland.com/home/index.aspx?id=146

That is only a postal address.. The director for the region actually resides and works out of the IDA offices in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

True! Been that way for years.

Mike.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Corks poor attempts at festivals etc when they were the "European Capital of Culture" a few years back will go against them bigtime as there were many a failed attempt at various gigs, concerts etc and the local businesses didnt come together as people had hoped to fund these types of things.

Unlike Waterford, which got a huge response from the local businesses, however only those in the hospitality sector really got major returns.. a lot of shops in town reported very quiet trading periods during the tall ships week.

So it will be interesting how it will be reacted to this time around. I know all businesses along the quay will be pleased to help out and a good idea to get more people away from the quays at night would be to have something along the lines of a Spraoi type festival and this would draw even more of a crowd to the city for it..

A lot of people I know up here in Dublin went down to Waterford for the tall ships and all of them commented on how well it was ran, how nice the city was and how they would definitely be visiting it again, so all in all it really did do great things for Waterford.. long may it last.

Tox

Cork's European Capital of Culture was only last year 2005. Same year as the Tall Shippes in Waterford.. That will tell you how much effort Cork put into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I remember reading about how much of a farce the Capital of Culture was, but in fairness, it would be much more difficult to organise a year long event than it would be to organise a weekend. But Cork could have done much more to publicize it!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

The original hoarding did cost €33,000. i remember reading something in the papers

Advertisement