Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you let your girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/hubby drive your car

Options
  • 31-07-2006 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭

just wondering, my girlfriend really needs to learn to drive, she knows the basics and almost passed her test but needs lots of experience, however she needs me to push her, and i am trying to, but the thoughts of letting a learner loose on my car scares me.

Im anal about bumps and dents and even more so about my 18" BBS rims which id rather didnt ever see a kerb. Totally selfish behaviour, but am i alone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I am lucky that my wife lets me drive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

We only have the one car. We used to have two, but when we started to live together there wasn't really a need for two cars.

When we did have the two, hers was automatic, so I let her use mine to practice ahead of taking her driving test.

Cyrus, if it's as obvious to her as it is to me from reading your post that you really love your car, she'll take more care of it than you would. She won't want to hurt your baby! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I'd be more worried about your clutch tbh. You can always tell her to pull out from the kerb provided you concentrate on what she is doing. Learner drivers can be very hard on a clutch, riding it, etc.

It all comes down to which you love more, the car or the lady.;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Cyrus wrote:
    Totally selfish behaviour, but am i alone?

Nope.
    My b/f is lucky I let him sit in my car, never mind drive it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

nope, wouldn't let my boyfriend near my car either (until he gets a full licence and knows what he's doing!)
    ...would not have the patience, and could not bear the pain...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

so im not a bad person :) seriosuly tho shes nearly 26 now, time we got her on the road specially since her dad said ill buy you a car when u pass ur test!!

maybe he can contribute towards a nice alfa brera:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've ho problem with my girlfriend driving my car but she's coming off my insurance in a few weeks time because it's costing extra for her and she has her own car now. It was fine all along because it didn't cost anything for her even though she's on a provisional. I heard before that the GTi could be put in valet mode whereby the ecu would limit the available power when people you don't really want to drive it have access to the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

not a hope in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

No. Or my wife and you'd understand if you saw her one! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Absolutely not. UK provisional licence and 3 write offs under her belt. Not if hell froze over would I let her drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

My missus has a tidy 01 Avensis which i get to drive sometimes, she rarely drives my Vectra because its like a tip inside. She doesn't drive my 71 Fiat 850 anymore because she drove it like the Avensis , no regard for drum brakes, tiny narrow tyres, no power steering etc and she has never gone near the 69 Triumph 2000 as it is the most unreliable heap in the country:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Hell no, keep her in the kitchen... haha.

On a serious note, I think if you bring her out in quiet streets or carparks for experience it will help her. Her confidence is probably being hurt by the fact that you're scared to let her drive because you think she'll wreck it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Of course I do. I make no apologies for preferring women to cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Absolutely. My insurance is cheaper because she's on it, though I do have alloy kerbing panic attacks occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

steve06 wrote:
    bring her out in quiet streets or carparks for experience

What kind of "experience" are you suggesting ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

haha, a bit of this, bit of that.... help her test the suspension anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dinomite

galah wrote:
    nope, wouldn't let my boyfriend near my car either (until he gets a full licence and knows what he's doing!)
    ...would not have the patience, and could not bear the pain...

know exactly what you mean - my hubbie has been driving a motorbike for years, and still thinks he can fit between two buses driving my little baby.

However, he needed the practice, so I let him drive it, and there were quite a few arguments - I suppose telling him he was an accident waiting to happen on his first long drive wasn't too clever - but in the end he got his test a couple of weeks ago so happy days.

If I were you, I would let her use it, but NOT with you in it - either someone else, on her own, or an instructor, but keep out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

No problem, she's a better driver than I am.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I don't currently have an other half but I let my parents drive it, more worried about living it in my mother's capable hands as she wedged our old one between the driveway pillars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Day-wanna-wonga

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You're amazingly funny. What a great joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My g/f is South African but has lived here with her family since she was a young teenager. She was taught to drive by her dad and then I gave her a few more driving lessions but she just isn't interested really. This suits both of us. She thinks all drivers here in Ireland become possessed when they get behind the wheel.

That will change soon however as we move house out to the sticks where public transport is limited or non existant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bazz26 wrote:
    My g/f is South African but has lived here with her family since she was a young teenager. She was taught to drive by her dad and then I gave her a few more driving lessions but she just isn't interested really. This suits both of us. She thinks all drivers here in Ireland become possessed when they get behind the wheel.

That will change soon however as we move house out to the sticks where public transport is limited or non existant.

Some places have basic public transport. When we lived past Mungret a few years back there was a bus in the mornings at7:45 that stopped at the gate and got to town for 8:20/25. Never got one home as there was always a lift. Might have been a September to June jobby though.

Check with the locals. My nanna never drove up to the day she died and lived "in the stix", though there was generally someone available to go and get her and my granda was a chauffeur after he retired, still is, only now for my cousin

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No. I regularly drive her car though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

nah the missus drives the S320, every right to, it's the family car, she even crashed it (flattened the mirror) a couple of weeks ago on her test, alloys have been rubbed once or twice but f*ck it, I'm gonna drive it till it falls apart or becomes to expensive (like it isn't already).

As said family car, she drives it, gonna take the daughter out soon and teach her to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

nialler wrote:
    As said family car, she drives it, gonna take the daughter out soon and teach her to drive.

In an S320? And I thought I was doing well to learn in a Carina :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

My girlfriend drives for Dublin Bus so drives around Dublin on a daily basis so doesn't mind if I drive :) I find if I'm a passenger I get really bored, maybe I have A.D.D? heh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Dont really let anyone drive my car. The missus is more than capable however, she just isnt insured. It's a nice excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 calmur

I wont let her in it .she has her own .i drive hers though [318 bmw]

Advertisement