Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unhappy

• 31-07-2006 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am in a place in my life right now where I am not happy. I am unhappy in my job, mainly, and confused what to do. I am trying to figure out where it all went wrong.

I am only doing this job for money, and its a basic wage. I am a uni graduate. Im 27 now and have done nothing with my life. I cant get a job in the field that I trained for. I am so unhappy right now and its worrying me sick. I have other problems too, but this seems to be the one that is getting me down most at the moment.

I was thinking in going back to college, but see this as a possible waste of time, as I dont know exactly what I want to do (and time is running out quickly).

Has anyone felt like this before? I think I have a little depression over this and other things. I am trying to get out of this hole.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

More detail might help us help you? University course? Current occupation? Where you'd like to live? What you really enjoy doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

From reading between the lines, I get the impression that it's your life you're not happy with, not your job. Which leads me to the main question: what do you want to do? Not nessecarily for a living, but what do you want to achieve?

I'm 35, used to feel that way quiet frequenently. At the moment, I'm a fully qualified massage therapist, a bodyapinter and an amateur artist. The points I'd like to make are 1) All of these I took up after the age you are now and 2) None of them are done for a living (although they do bring in some extra pocket momey now and again :D )

My advice is too look around and see what you want to do with your life, not your profession. If you can afford it, maybe drop down to part time for a bit, or go all out and take a sabbatical. Travel, maybe?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Whiney wrote:
    I cant get a job in the field that I trained for.
    What did you train for and if you could get a job in that area do you think you would be happier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

If you are not tied to things like family, significant other or job and I was you I would just leave - up sticks to London and start again plus you're a university graduate and if you're not in a city it's hard to find a relevant high paying job. I totally feel you cos I'm stuck in a not very central place and i have ties here so I feel I can't leave right now - instead I'm looking into opening a clothes shop with another girl (something we feel very passionate about)...
    So you do have options, it's an awful feeling though to be stuck in a rut but alot of people on this board have expressed this lately. I reckon leave for a while and if you can't leave actively go about doing something that you can throw yourself into and enjoy and will improve the quality of your life. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭cupsoftea

Hi there,
    i'm 28 and last year began re-training for a different, i was miserable in my last job and couldn't see a future in it.
    Its hard when you see your friends progressing in their careers and getting the houses/cars etc that come with good jobs.
    I don't know if this is the same place you are coming from or not but there are lots of options really.
    I know a few people who went back to college for 4 year degrees and the time flew by, you'd be qualified in no time. My advice would be to train in something vocational, nurse, teacher etc that you can walk into an instant career, if the prospect of working your way up the ladder again is a lot to bare.
    Also night classes are really good and can offer real career options. And check out ulster university who do on-line courses that might suit -other universities in ireland might be doing something similar.
    Changing jobs/ careers can make a huge positive impact on your life. Best of luck with it, hope it goes well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement