Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

George O'Callaghan placed on the Transfer List

• 31-07-2006 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

Confirmed by boss Damien Richardson at a press conference in Belgrade this morning.

George on the list at his own request.

Irish window closes tonight, cant see anyone going in for him, so its off to england i'd assume. Question is, where does he go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I reckon something could be happening behind the scenes involving a Dublin club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Bateman wrote:
    I reckon something could be happening behind the scenes involving a Dublin club.

Ratboy for pats?

That's what I heard alright. Pat's seem to be developing a habit of signing players they don't really need, just because they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Bateman wrote:
    That's what I heard alright. Pat's seem to be developing a habit of signing players they don't really need, just because they can.

Joining the junkies would be a massive step down for Georgie so I'd be surprised if he goes there. I'd put my money on the moneybags from Drogheda pulling something out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ever since that "explosive" 1st game against Shels at the Cross 4 years when he made his debut with John O'Flynn, Georgie has been top class.

The amount of new fans we have because of George should not be underestimated. He brought "sexy" football back to Cross after a a few years where a player like "Kabia" was seen as glamourous.

He isn't just flair though, he is able to get from box to box, better than any other City player.

The first 10 games of last season where the best football he played IMO. I think he got 7 MOTM's in a row. Then he finished the season in the Shed holding the league trophy aloft after 13 years of near misses.

George O'Callaghan = Legend!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Did I read an interview with him a few months ago saying he'd like to go back to England? Proving critics wrong cliché or summat...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It was inevitable really after what happened with himself and Richardson. He will be a big loss for Cork and it would not surprise me if a couple of Championship clubs come looking for him although I hope he stays in the EL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I love if he stayed in the EL, we need players of that quality plying their trade here, would love it even more to see him at Shels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Absolute disaster for Cork City, as this will have many knock on effects, one of which, Rico will probably walk at the end of the season. If you saw some of the shít posted on ccfc forum you would see why, but then, thats hardly surprising, if you know what I mean ;)

Besides that, the loss of such a talented player is obviously awful for Cork City. I wont say he single handedly brought the league to Leeside last season, but it certainly wouldn't have come without him.

Thanks for everything George, and I hope to fack that you have a change of heart, and yourself and Rico can both hold your hands up, accept some of the blame for this mess, and get on with retaining the title.

For the record, I am not anti George, or Pro Rico. The club has my full 100% support, and Rico as manager has my respect and loyalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well seeing as the EL transfer window closes tonight. If it ain't happened by midnight he's abroad. I heard on Newstalk that Sparta Prague were interested, a price of €50,000 was mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Well seeing as the EL transfer window closes tonight. If it ain't happened by midnight he's abroad. I heard on Newstalk that Sparta Prague were interested, a price of €50,000 was mentioned.

He's worth at least 8/9 times that , well he would be if he wasn't plying his trade in our national league and if he was in England he would be valued around the £650,000 mark(sterling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

City lose yet other key player due to mis-management.

It's Slavia Prague who are meant to be interested (they beat City in Europe last year). The Echo mentioned 50k as the price too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

plazzTT wrote:
    City lose yet other key player due to mis-management.

And how many other players have City lost due to mis-management? How was this sorry saga mis-management?

There is wrong on both sides of this argument, but it could be argued that one/both parties saw what end this would come to, and hoped it would. Now, i cannot see that Rico wanted to lose one of his best players. On the other hand, George did state on mant occasions that he would like to try his hand across the water again. Remember, George stated last season during his contract wranglings that Nantes, Celtic and Stoke were all interested in him, probably so as to better his bargaining position. One way or other, he got the contaract he deserved. Now he is walking away from it, or maybe he is being shoved away from it. Time will tell that. But George has the form.

Its not over yet. he is still a City player. Playes have come off the transfer list in the past and returned to the team with aplomb. Who is to say this wont be the same? Fingers crossed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

DubGuy wrote:
    I love if he stayed in the EL, we need players of that quality plying their trade here, would love it even more to see him at Shels!
    What?

George at Shels?

Apparently he wanted to come alright, but was told to take a hike.

Lennox has said that there have been no offers from outside Ireland. Limerick seem to want him on loan, and Waterford also triede to come in late last night, but the Sparta stuff seems to have been spun by O'Callaghan himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

saw on foot.ie that the mighty southend where interested in him.

Would of been great to see his reaction if he was loaned out to limerick or waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

from what i've heard its between boavista and sparta prague as the main contenders with southend and notts forest also being mentioned. sparta have been interested in him since they played cork last season. he will definitely be moving from eL anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

MooShop wrote:
    from what i've heard its between boavista and sparta prague as the main contenders with southend and notts forest also being mentioned. sparta have been interested in him since they played cork last season. he will definitely be moving from eL anyway.
    Pity. Grumpy so-and-so, and inconsistent, but good to watch.

Advertisement