Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Buying 42" TV. Advice Please

• 31-07-2006 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am buying a new 42" TV with a budget of 2,000 euro. I will be connecting a DVD player, Sky digi box, and an XBox 360 to it.

I am unsure weather to buy a plasma or LCD. Not sure which would be best for gaming on the XBox.

Here are the three that I thinking about getting

Philips 42" PLASMA 42PF5331/10 1024 x 1080i, 3000:1, HD-Ready

Product Description Philips 42PF5331 - plasma panel with TV tuner - 42"
    Product Type Plasma panel with TV tuner
    Diagonal Size 42" - widescreen
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 124 cm x 28 cm x 72 cm - with stand
    TV Type HD ready
    Resolution 1024 x 768
    PC Interface HDMI
    HDCP Compatible Yes
    Technology Plasma (PDP)
    Progressive Scan Yes
    Image Aspect Ratio 16:9
    Tuner Qty 1
    Multi-channel Preview Picture-in-picture (PIP)
    Features Clock, video noise reduction, on-screen menu, colour temperature adjustment, Active control, Dynamic Contrast, Crystal Clear, 3:2 pulldown compensation, 2:2 pulldown compensation, sleep timer, Contrast Plus, Smart Picture Control, Smart Sound Control, Digital Crystal Clear, channel labeling
    Sound Output Mode Stereo
    Speaker System 2 speakers
    Stereo Reception System NICAM
    Remote Control Universal remote control - infrared
    Power AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=320028

Philips 42" PLASMA 42PF5521D 1366x768, 10.000:1, 3ms, HD-Ready

PRODUCT FEATURES:

High definition LCD WXGA display, resolution 1366 x 768p;
    Integrated Digital Tuner for DVB-T reception;
    HD ready for the highest quality display of HDTV signals;
    Digital Crystal Clear provides vivid cinema-like images;
    Dynamic contrast enhancer delivering rich black details;
    Virtual Dolby Surround for a cinema-like audio experience;
    Compact and slim design that fits in every room.

Productinformation Additional Information Reviews Manufacturer links E-mail a friend about this product Product Description Philips 42PF5521D - LCD TV - 42"
    Product Type LCD TV
    Diagonal Size 42" - widescreen
    Weight 39.2 kg
    Colour High-gloss black, silver frost
    TV Type HD ready
    PC Interface HDMI
    Technology TFT active matrix
    Progressive Scan Yes
    Image Aspect Ratio 15:9
    Digital TV Tuner DVB-T
    Features 3:2 pulldown compensation, 2:2 pulldown compensation, Digital Crystal Clear, channel labeling
    Sound Output Mode Stereo
    Speaker System 2 speakers
    Sound Effects Virtual Dolby Surround
    Stereo Reception System NICAM
    Remote Control Remote control - infrared

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=320983

Samsung PS42C7HD
    Resolution 1024 x 768
    Brightness 1,300 cd/m2
    Contrast 10,000:1
    Colours 549 Billion
    Grey Level 8192
    Aspect Ratio 16:9
    Pixel Pitch TBD
    Viewing Angle 175°/175°
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/plasma/ps50c7hdxxeu.asp?page=Specifications

I am really confused about the resolution. Two of the TV's above have a resolution of 1024 x 768, yet the cheapest one has a resolution of 1366 x 768p

How come the 42PF5331/10 says it has a resolution of 1024 x 1080i in the model name, yet in description it says it has a resolution of 1027 x 768?

Can anyone tell me which is best ? Any advice really appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭YoYOPowder

If you are willing to buy online and want a plasma, if it were me Id go for the Panasonic 42PV60. Best buy I believe is at www.katronics.de. Panasonic has a hands down reputation at being the best in that price range, for reviews look at avforums.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

That looks good, but I dont speak german. Is there anywhere else I can look to buy ?

Could you answer me a question please.

How ca a TV that has a resolution of 1024 x 1080 be better than one withe a resolution 1024 x 768?

Can both support 1080i?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭jones

you can change the language on the top right of the site although its still a bit messy though

thegoth wrote:
    That looks good, but I dont speak german. Is there anywhere else I can look to buy ?

Could you answer me a question please.

How ca a TV that has a resolution of 1024 x 1080 be better than one withe a resolution 1024 x 768?

Can both support 1080i?

Top right you can change to UK. I assume the 1024x1080 is 1080i, i standing for interlaced and 1024x768 is 768p for progressive. Progressive is the newer technology and regarded by many as the better technology. However some state that interlaced is better for slower moving pictures and frozen shots, ie.. photos and maybe watching golf. Progressive is regarded better for fast football matches and fast paced films. However, soon you will see 1080p and this will be true top native HD. Right now though most LCD's and Plasmas will only do what you have mentioned and to be honest I doubt you will see a difference. BTW 1080i shows 540 lines at any one time, so the greater number does not mean greater picture. Progressive changes the lines one at a time progressively. Again, dont look into it too much, or the specs for that matter. Picture Quality is everything, go see something you like and buy it. For a budget of 1800 to 2k if it were me I'd buy a 42" Panasonic Plasma or 40" Samsung LCD. ;)
    PS. Yes of course both will be well able to display the other.

thegoth wrote:
    Philips 42" PLASMA 42PF5521D 1366x768, 10.000:1, 3ms, HD-Ready

PRODUCT FEATURES:

High definition LCD WXGA display, resolution 1366 x 768p;
    QUOTE]

This information is wrong and typical of Komplett. Im not sure you can get 1366x768 in Plasma 42". However just checked the Philips website and the specs on Komplett are indeed wrong, so be careful.

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend where I can but the 42PV60 apart from the above website.

Ok,

I have decided on one of these. Please PLEASE help

SAMSUNG PS42C7HDX 42"
    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/Televisions/LCD+&+Plasma/SAMSUNG/PS42C7HDX/826209

Panasonic 42PV60.

www.katronics.de. ( Will need to buy somewhere else though )

Philips 42" PLASMA 42PF5521D 1366x768p

Can anyone tell which is best ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

go for the panasonic. its a savage tv, quality is unreal. you have to see it to see how good it is.

when u say somewhere apart from katronics do u mean a "real" shop?? if so, try alliance electric on georges st. they had the 42" on display with hi-def the last time i was in there.

moe

thegoth wrote:
    Ok,

I have decided on one of these. Please PLEASE help

SAMSUNG PS42C7HDX 42"
    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/Televisions/LCD+&+Plasma/SAMSUNG/PS42C7HDX/826209

Panasonic 42PV60.

www.katronics.de. ( Will need to buy somewhere else though )

Pay the extra few quid for the Panny if you need to (and if you can). As the above reply has said, it is in Alliance Electric, I had them demo it to me in there, but at the time it was expensive €2600. As far as plasma goes, possibly only Pioneer can beat Panasonic, but Pioneer add a couple of grand to their prices.

Hi,

I would buy online as well, but I cannot find anywhere apart from that German site that sells them

• Advertisement

thegoth wrote:
    Hi,

I would buy online as well, but I cannot find anywhere apart from that German site that sells them

Just noticed on another thread that www.lcdtv.ie are selling a 37PX60 with cabinet stand for 2299, now without the cabinet that should sell for well under 2K. The 37" and 42" are priced pretty similarly due to demand I think. They dont seem to have the 42" but the fact that they stock Panasonic at all might be of help. Give them a ring, no harm I guess!!

Hi,

Just of the phone with Alliance Electric and they will do the 42PV60 for 2,600 incl wall beacket.

Currys have the Philips 42" PLASMA 42PF5521D for 1975 euro.

Summary

Panasonic 42PV60 2,600 incl bracket

Philips 42" PLASMA 42PF5521D 1975 without bracket

Which should I go for. Is the Panasonic worth an extra 500 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

thegoth wrote:

This is not a plasma. It's LCD.

i would reckon the panasonic is worth the extra few quid. the quality is much better. just look at avforums, they are all praising that tv over there. also, the lcdtv.ie is a PX60, ireland needs the PV60 as the PX60 has a different tuner that will not work in ireland.

moe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

i bought the panasonic and it really is worth the extra , even with all the setting s reduced to run it in even rte looks good on it

Hi,

Where did you buy the TV?

Is TH-42PV60 the correct model number, as the guys at lcdtv.ie are having a hard time finding it. They said that their suppliers cannot find anything for that model number.

Can I ask how much you paid for it ?

I was also on http://www.panasonic.co.uk/ , and their is no info what so ever about the TH-42PV60 there. Strange

in the UK, that tv is known as a TH-42PX60. that has a UK freeview uhf tuner. in ireland we have the TH-42PV60, with a uhf/vhf tuner that will work in ireland. the panasonic UK site won't have the TH-42PV60 listed and they dont have an irish site. if lcdtv.ie have the TH-42PX60, they are sourcing their tv's from the uk and the tuner will not work properly in ireland.

so, look for the TH-42PV60 is what im tryin to say!

moe

the number is TH-42PV60 and i paid 2500 euros (don't tell the wife)
    in a shop in cork city called MADDENS
    http://maddens.ie/index.cfm?page=viewProduct&productId=18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭jones

fitzdragon - how did you find maddens.ie service?? as in delivery, customer care etc?

maddens are a cork company with 4 shops locally , i dont think they do nationwide delivery , as for service thats the reason i bought from them, they have their own service dept and tech staff i know i probably would have got the set cheaper from germany but if something goes wrong i can get same day service from maddens .

• Advertisement

Was that €2500 inc wall bracket?

"Was that €2500 inc wall bracket?" yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

Try http://www.mitchelltv.com

From their Price list

Plasma Television
    Panasonic TH37PA60 37” Wide Screen HDMI x 1 € 1799
    Panasonic TH42PA60 42” Wide Screen HDMI x 1 € 1999
    Panasonic TH37PV60 37” Wide Screen High Definition HDMI x 2 € 2299
    Panasonic TH42PV60 42” Wide Screen High Definition HDMI x 2 € 2499
    Panasonic TH50PV60 50” Wide Screen High Definition HDMI x 2 € 4699

Let me know how you go in terms of a discount please.

Advertisement