Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to buy car radios online

Options
  • 31-07-2006 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

looking to buy a replacement for the car radio in my mk iv Golf. Any good sites for buying from?

One question, if a radio has a usb input on the front, does that mean it will play direct from my ipod? I have seen ones with aux in on the front also, which i presume also means that'll play ipod.
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Pix mania do em. As for the USB on the front, I dont think it will support an iPod, just usb devices that come up as mass storage devices with the MP3's

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

L5 wrote:
    looking to buy a replacement for the car radio in my mk iv Golf. Any good sites for buying from?

One question, if a radio has a usb input on the front, does that mean it will play direct from my ipod? I have seen ones with aux in on the front also, which i presume also means that'll play ipod.
    thanks

www.incarexpress.co.uk
    I bought my radio from them a couple of months ago after seeing someone here mention them.

As for the ipod, it stores files in hidden directories and the file names are all changed to random characters managed by the ipod. I'd guess that the USB slot won't find the ipod music. But i'm not 100% sure.

'Aux in' should work with your ipod .. assuming you're using the headphone output on your ipod with an appropriate connection.

SOP

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

www.incarexpress.co.uk
    I bought my radio from them a couple of months ago after seeing someone here mention them.

As for the ipod, it stores files in hidden directories and the file names are all changed to random characters managed by the ipod. I'd guess that the USB slot won't find the ipod music. But i'm not 100% sure.

'Aux in' should work with your ipod .. assuming you're using the headphone output on your ipod with an appropriate connection.

SOP
    I bought my Pioneer headunit from them too (both of them in fact, and a 3rd for a mate) without any problems. Cheaper than pixmania too and without all the negative feedback reported by other Boardsie's other on the Bargains forum a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 doggy

gear.ie and icebuyer.ie, no personal experience of either, I bought mine from pixmania without any problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

It was probably me who you saw mentioning incarexpress. I am still impressed with the JVC radio I got from them and what good value it was. I've only ever used the usb port with a memory stick, but it says it is "Ipod ready".
    Link to model: http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=KDG821

I have bought from pixmania as well (an external hdd box that plays divx and other media directly to a TV via phono/scart connections) which I returned as faulty within a week of getting it. It took over 3 weeks for them to acknowledge receipt of the return and then another month before they informed me that they agreed it was faulty. I'm still waiting on delivery of a replacement. I also had to pay for postage and insurance to return it to them.

Apart from that they are very difficult to contact as they don't have an email address (you have to fill out a webform which you can only access with a customer number and serial number of the product and order number) and the telephone number they give on the website only works in the UK. If you actually do get through to them you only get to press buttons on a menu, all of which seem to end in telling you to go to their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm been looking at pixmania for a while and I'm going to make my first purchase with them and buy the new Pioneer 9800BT head from them. A mate of mine uses them all the time.

I got quoted for it at around €900 here, pixmania do it for around €733, and sickeningly enough, it's about $400 in the states, which isn't an opinion as FM radio in the states is 'stepped' differently, plus it's almost next to impossible to find any place in the states willing to ship outside the country.

Advertisement