Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling house, opinions please

Options
  • 31-07-2006 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im thinking of selling my 2 bed mid terrace house soon and i am thinking of doing some work to try help the sale.
    Namely,
    adding an extract hood in the kitchen, approx 200e
    adding a velux to our winidowless bathroom to brighten it up, approx 450e,
    installing wardrobes in master bedroom, approx 300-400e,
    repainting all walls and ceiling white (removing coloured feature walls) approx 200e.

just wondering what people think, would these improvements pay for themselves in the asking price and help sell the property or are they minor improvements that would go unnoticed.

thanks in advance

kev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

oneillk wrote:
    adding an extract hood in the kitchen, approx 200e
    adding a velux to our winidowless bathroom to brighten it up, approx 450e,
    installing wardrobes in master bedroom, approx 300-400e,
    repainting all walls and ceiling white (removing coloured feature walls) approx 200e.

Paint and clean will have the most effect. White is a good choice as it will certainly enhance the space and make it brighter.

The velux in the bathroom will go conciously unnoticed but the brighter room subconciously would have a positive effect.

Storage in a small house is of great importance, I live in one too and wardrobes would be great provided they "fit" in the room and are not too overbaring.

The extractor likewise might add in a bit of "mod cons already in place" to the room.

Good luck with the work and the sale.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Are you putting in the Velux yourself? can't see you doing it for 450 if someone else is fitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭oneillk

yep i will be installing the velux myself. Can buy velux with flashing for approx 300e. Will then use mdf to box out "tunnell" from ceiling to window and paint all white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Sounds like you have it under control.
    The window should help sell, but its a tricky one, people won't walk in and say "oh look a window in the bathrooom" as the will sort of expect one in it. however without the window they could walk in and notice there is no window and this could be a negative point. for one i'd want a window in a bathroom. will the Velux be able to be opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭oneillk

yea the velux will be openable.
    Its a tricky one alright but i think ill go for it, cause as you said. people will notice the window is not there and will be turned off by this. I think a bathroomm is an important room when selling so it should be at least as bright and airy as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Definitely do the velux in the bathroom, a window-less bathroom would put me off. However I would advise you paint the walls more of a cream than a white, as white looks incredibly stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

iguana wrote:
    Definitely do the velux in the bathroom, a window-less bathroom would put me off. However I would advise you paint the walls more of a cream than a white, as white looks incredibly stark.

Chances are the new owner might want to repaint anyway, they can then use the white as an undercoat. For me, that and the velux blinds would be enough. People have their own tastes anyway. As long as the house is well maintained and clean, thats better than a shabby house that needs a total scrub and loads of repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

All the things mentioned sound like positive additions to the house. One thing you should probably check though is if you need planning permission to install the velux window. If it's not visible from outside the house then I think it should be ok but if it's visible and there's no planning for it then it could create headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I wouldn't paint the walls white... go for creams/off whites. Nice soothing colors will help freshen the place up.

Ceiligns as white are good though.

Advertisement