Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Join between solid wood and tiled floor

Options
  • 31-07-2006 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

We are putting down Furlong's Forest Oak 150mm solid wood floors (floating floor)downstairs over existing T&G but not in our kitchen which we will be tiling. (All being done by professionals not by me)

I am looking for 2 things.

1 - what to tell them to use where the wooden floor meets the tiles. Really want a great join between the wood and tile.

2 - what thickness marine ply to put down on the existing kitchen floor (T&G)to raise it up enough so that the tiles will meet flush with the wood. I dont want a slight step down to our kitchen.

Probably use a gloss ceramic tyle for the kitchen something like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/margey/image_img1078937399.jpg

any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

You can buy ramps that are available in most wood floor supplier that will do the job. They will match your oak floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭hughm

Does anyone have any pics of similar ramps in their homes that work well with the mix of wood and tile that I am looking at using.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You can also purchase a metal housing that is U shaped.
    The back of the U is put up agains the tile and the timber flooring slides into the opening on the U.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you think about it, its not that hard to figure out what thickness ply to use.
    Assumeing the T&G are level now, the ply should be equaly to the thickness of the solid wood floor less the thickness of the tiles. Both of these will vary slightly so theres not enough info here.
    Also there is other that make up the thickness, such ask adhesive/underlay. But you are not going to get it mm perfect as plywood is limited in range of thickness

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

hughm wrote:
    Does anyone have any pics of similar ramps in their homes that work well with the mix of wood and tile that I am looking at using.
    It doesn't matter what tiles you have...you just need to match the wood to the ramp.

Just drop into Atlantic Homecare...they have them. Brand name something like F2F. Brooks also have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭hughm

Thanks. Have decided on a polished marble tile for the kitchen.

It is 20mm thick + there is already 3mm ply under the existing lino. I reckon the 20mm tile + 3mm ply + 2mm/3mm tile adhesive should bring me up to there or there abouts that of the wooden floor.

I have a good tiler so I will get the floors in first and ask my tiler if the existing ply is enough or if i need to replae it with 5mm ply or more.

Found very nice Oak Ramp in Tubs & Tiles in Liffey Valley today to go betweem the tile and wood. It has a very low rise above the floor level, only about 5mm at the apex. it goes from 2mm to 5mm and back to 2mm.

Advertisement