Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correct fit on a bike for a new saddle?

Options
  • 31-07-2006 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

Well,

Fitted a new saddle over the weekend, it's a Selle San Marco, quite firm and a big difference from my spongy BodyGeometry saddle that has been retired.

I've adjusted the position so that my knee is over the centre of the pedal when the crank is at 9 o'clock. This appears to be the correct position forward-to-backward, and I have the seatpost adjusted so that my leg is almost extended but not so much that my hips rock when pedaling. I have the saddle more-or-less horizontal.

My sit-bones are now taking the weight from my torso, where it was distributed over the sponge before. This hurts pretty bad, but I'm guessing I need to break it/my ass in. Does it sound like I'm doing something wrong, or that an adjustment might be called for?

Don't want to cause any injuries...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

There should be approx a 30 degree bend in your knee when the pedal is furthest away from the saddle (i.e. when the crank is in line with the seat tube)
    Keep in mind that as you change the height of the saddle you also change the fore and aft position of the saddle as well because of the angle of the seat tube.

You then need to keep in mind the position of the handlebars relative to all of this. As a rough guid when teh crank is level - i.e pedal forward, your knee should just overlap your elbow bone when you are holding the drops.

Handlebar height and reach can have a big difference on how you are sitting on the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Thanks for that,

I knew about the 30' knee-bend at full extension, but that's new to me with regard to reach and handlebar position.

I think the past few trips on the bike have settled the pain somewhat, whether this is down to the saddle molding itself to me or vice-versa, I'm not sure. Some fore adjustment this evening should have it down perfectly.

(For anyone browsing this post in the future, as with most things cycle-related, sheldonbrown.com/saddles is a wonderful resource)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

saddle to pedal in line with down tube = inside leg x 1.09

Advertisement