Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positioning of tattoo

Options
  • 31-07-2006 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

hey, i posted on this board a couple of months ago looking for a phoenix design (ta for all who got back to me!) and ive finally found one i like, im going to go to danny bullmans in limerick for it, next week hopefully. i just have one or two questions.

1) i really want to get it on my lower stomach, close to my hip. is this any more/less painful? also, im in alright shape now, but what if i gain weight in a few years, is the tattoo likely to stretch and distort? if so, is it possible to do a touch up job on it?

2) i have decided against black ink and have opted for brown, are there different shades of brown that can be inked on? i dont want anything thats too dark.

sorry if these questions are a little dumb, but i figure if im going to get some good advice, heres the place to look

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

You can mix tattoo inks like paints so he should be able to get the shade you want. As for if you gain weight it depends on how much you gain and where it goes on but the tattoo will distort a bit alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Yep, and if you ever decide to have kids..........well you can just imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Shelli wrote:
    Yep, and if you ever decide to have kids..........well you can just imagine.
    Was just about to say that, as I understand it the entire lower front torso is all at risk of stretching during pregnancy (fear the octuplets!), I'd ask the artist if they have any recommendations as to where it could go with minimal risk of stretching, I suspect they'll suggest moving it either highers up or further to one side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ugliest

a lot of artists are REALLLLLLY hesitant to tattoo on girls stomachs BECAUSE of stretching etc. (some will straight out refuse)

weight-gain IS inevitable+you dont want to end up with a stretched up distorted smudged blob on your otherwise decent (at least) body.

sounds weird but have you considered the other side of your hip, closer to your side, that kind of area? less chance of it stretching+becoming distorted there.

also, the closer it is to bone the more painful it is, the hip is a fairly sensitive area as it is and i imagine farily sore to get tattooed

the different shades of brown is a lovely idea, i've seen a lot of really nice work in shades of brown, works out really nice.

your artist SHOULD tell you that it is REALLY LIKELY to become messed up in later life if its on your stomach, (they say pregnancy wrecks your body as it is, but a delicate little bird of fire in there too...) if they don't, run away, run far far away.
    i guess if you REALLY took care of yourself+moisturised daily, kept the skin in good shape, it could be alright, but most shops would be so hesitant to do something like that on a girl.

-just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

I would agree dont get it on your stomach - im pregnant at the moment and I can tell you that your skin does not look like your skin once you get past 6 months!! Ive gotten away lightly with stretching and in the past had thought about getting a tattoo on my stomach but Im so glad now I didnt - Even the spot where my bellybutton was pierced has stretched right up and now it goes a good 2 inches above bellybutton and is now a scar. It will fade but it looks mad and I never thought that something so simple and small could stretch so far! Youve been warned!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

The phoenix idea is beautiful but maybe not on your stomach. I know its over done but you could get it on your lower back or go a bit more crazy and get it on your crest, thats seems to be getting a very popular place for women to get a tattoo.

On a lighter note I seen a guy in Mayo a few months back with BEER tattooed in big letters across his stomach. But I guess the more distorted his stomach becomes over the years the more at home his tattoo will look :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

Rich_Why wrote:
    The phoenix idea is beautiful but maybe not on your stomach. I know its over done but you could get it on your lower back or go a bit more crazy and get it on your crest, thats seems to be getting a very popular place for women to get a tattoo.

On a lighter note I seen a guy in Mayo a few months back with BEER tattooed in big letters across his stomach. But I guess the more distorted his stomach becomes over the years the more at home his tattoo will look :D

Yeah, i like the phoenix too. I like the idea of a shade of brown. Never thought of that myself.

About the lower back, i heard a couple of girls in the canteen in work talking about tattoos and they were calling the tat on the lower back of girls 'the stamp on the tramp'

How big are you thinking? (or did i miss that bit?) My ex had a tattoo on her hip. It could be covered whenever she thought it needed to be (ye know the way some people are very judgemental and stuff) but i thought it looked dead sexy there!

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

thanks for the brilliant replies and advice. the size of the tattoo is about 2.5 inches. i have always wanted the tattoo in that place, but from hearing these stories i may reconsider. ill ask the tattoo artist where it would be better suited. i really had my heart set on there though!!! argh!

by the way, is it just me or are all people who work in tattoo parlours uber flippant with you until they've had a chance to suss you out?

sideFX wrote:
    About the lower back, i heard a couple of girls in the canteen in work talking about tattoos and they were calling the tat on the lower back of girls 'the stamp on the tramp'

That my friend is the typical sign of woman whos just jealous, because she wouldn't be able to pull it off herself. The fact of the matter is, the lower back is a great place for tattoo on a woman when she has the figure for it:D Just like a tattoo across a blokes shoulders, only looks well if he's got good shoulders!:D Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Rich_Why wrote:
    That my friend is the typical sign of woman whos just jealous, because she wouldn't be able to pull it off herself. The fact of the matter is, the lower back is a great place for tattoo on a woman when she has the figure for it:D Just like a tattoo across a blokes shoulders, only looks well if he's got good shoulders!:D Am I right?

Nope, a small tribal or a kanji on the lower back is known as a "tramp stamp" in the states and its spreading. Has nothing to do with jealousy if you haven't noticed the amount of "ample" women who have them

• Advertisement

Nope, a small tribal or a kanji on the lower back is known as a "tramp stamp" in the states and its spreading. Has nothing to do with jealousy if you haven't noticed the amount of "ample" women who have them

Yeah but I'm sure the reaction toward an "ample" woman, as you put it, is a very different reaction to that towards a "curved" woman. Still do educate me, are you saying that lower back tattoos have earned the name "tramp stamp" from the people who have them or the people who don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Shinners23

I got a tattoo of a forget me not flower on my left hip. its about 2" x 2". OMG it was thee sorest thing ever but well worth it. It represents fond memories and the loss of loved ones. That was my reason for getting it. I got loads of pics on the internet and also got the tattoo artist to help with the final design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Rich_Why: yeah alota people associate ladies with tattoo's on their lower back as "tramp stamps" its basically a target for some people (guys). I personally like them on women, well any tattoo/piercing on a girl is hot, but im biased :D

I 100% agree Wilburt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

I didn't mean to start all the contraversy. i never heard of that sayin before and was a bit taken back by it. Anyway it's a personal thing and it's what the person gettin thinks not anybody else.

People have slagged mine off before but i think they're cool and i like them so i couldn't care less what others think.

It's typical of things today though. Everything gets a label so me personally dont pay much heed to opinions.

Opinions are like belly buttons....everyone's got one and they don't hold much water...

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

got my tat! thanks for advice!

Advertisement