Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sire wanted- for Labrador retriever!

Options
  • 31-07-2006 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

:confused:
    Anyone know where I can find a sire with papers in the cork area for breeding? Have beautiful 2 yr old Lab and dying to have another litter!
    :rolleyes:
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

2 yrs old? Is that not a bit young and immature to be having a litter of pups?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Is your bitch health checked and screened for hereditary diseases?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Lexie wrote:
    2 yrs old? Is that not a bit young and immature to be having a litter of pups?

I'm not sure we're talking quality stock here. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

p, i was only saying in the other tread we need to stop making everyone who is asking about pups or dogs into a debate about the illhealth of purebreeds, people are going to do it and breed so why not take the time to educate them in the proper ways of doing so.

and yes of course health checks are very important as is check into the back ground of the bitch but people are still going to breed so,

OP, i do think two years is a bit young in so far as the maturity of your lab, she is only out of her puppy years, as they are pups till they are two years old, you would be best waitnig till she is 3 years old as she will be more mature and sure of herself. alot of bitches bred too young can reject the pups not know what the hell to do. you also need to doubley check the lines of the sire you would use, check health of parents and and make sure there are no crossed lines as in share sires or dams. you need to read up on the mating process and also what you need to feed her and do for her during the 66 - 72 days pregs. and also read up on c-sections as sometimes with first litters they have have problems and need assistance. talk to you local vet as regards house calls or emergency services, as they dont always wait till the practice opens to have trouble and you need to be ready.

need any advice along the way pm me, and best of luck with finding a healthy well adjusted old enough sire... in about another year.. if you know what i mean.

jules

jules, no offence ...but in your urge to "educate" you're loosing the run of yourself ...

The most important questions to ask the OP are:

- Why breed at all, when there are thousands of unwanted dogs already?
    - What is going to happen to any puppies that are excess to requirements?
    - Does the OP know about the risks involved in just picking the first sire that gets offered?
    - Does the OP know anything about raising a litter of pups, caring for them, socializing them etc or is he/she just about to produce more fodder for the pounds and rescues?

Personally, I'm absolutely opposed to anyone just "breeding" off their dogs ...there is enough dogs already produced by so called professional breeders and unplanned "accidents". The last thing we need is more dogs just because someone is "dying to have another litter"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

http://www.geocities.com/virtualbreeding/virtualbreeding.html

On this site you can breed a virtual litter. You make the decisions and see just how difficult and costly it might be to breed a real litter. Everyone thinking of breeding should take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Bottom line is Ireland is swimming in Pure Bred labs we actually don't need any more people breeding them.

p i agree with you but can you please get off your high horse and start thinking in the real world.. this is going to happen, and there is nothing we can do about it so stop whipping everyone that comes in and asks a questions, we all care about animals equally.. you are not the lone ranger for animal rights you know i know there is enough dogs in the world i am reminded every bloody day when we get cases of unwanted litters in and dogs that get tied up with wire and thrown to the side of the road but we need to show people how it should be done properly and answer their questions but give them a little extra to think about.... jesus christ p your not the world leader in animal knowledge!

Sorry Jules,

But I will not give advice to people who are (in their own words) "dying to have another litter".

Several reasons:

Firstly I am dead set against people dallying in a spot of backyard breeding for questionable reasons.

Secondly, as I am not a breeder, I do not have the necessary experience and therefore no advice to give.

And even if I had, publishing "how-to-breed-off-your-dog-just-because-you-want-to" hints and advice on a board like this, in my opinion, would be very counterproductive. Because it might give slightly more responsible people (who would otherwise think twice about breeding their dog) the idea " ah ...if it's that easy as described here, I might just give it a try"

Catch my drift?:D

And on a personal note ...before you started "berating" me about copping on to the "real world" I had made only one post in this thread. Said post consisted of one sentence, one question and contained neither any whipping nor any reference to purebreed issues ...

You might want to clean your reading glasses there ...:D :D:D

peasant wrote:
    Sorry Jules,

But I will not give advice to people who are (in their own words) "dying to have another litter".

Several reasons:

Firstly I am dead set against people dallying in a spot of backyard breeding for questionable reasons.

Secondly, as I am not a breeder, I do not have the necessary experience and therefore no advice to give.

And even if I had, publishing "how-to-breed-off-your-dog-just-because-you-want-to" hints and advice on a board like this, in my opinion, would be very counterproductive. Because it might give slightly more responsible people (who would otherwise think twice about breeding their dog) the idea " ah ...if it's that easy as described here, I might just give it a try"

Catch my drift?:D

And on a personal note ...before you started "berating" me about copping on to the "real world" I had made only one post in this thread. Said post consisted of one sentence, one question and contained neither any whipping nor any reference to purebreed issues ...

You might want to clean your reading glasses there ...:D :D:D

nothing wrong with my reading glasses dear.. prolly cuz i dont need to wear any, and yes you did make a one line post but you also made a reply directly to me so i therefore will answer it, an di never said it was an easy thing to do, dear lord its one of the most difficult time consumming and crappy thing to do, but dont you see my point.. NO MATTER WHAT WE SAY PEOPLE ARE STILL GOING TO DO IT!!!!!!!

thats what i mean about the real world, no matter what we say people are going to do it and if they even listen to a little bit of advice we give here maybe just maybe it will make it easier on their dog

I dont agree with purebreeds i have never and will never own one, unless it needs to be rescued, but we need to stop and think, that people who want to breed seem to read this board so like i said get our message across that there are too may pb in the country and pounds etc over run with crosses who need good homes, but also like i said give a little advice on the subject they ask about, cuz they will do it anyway!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I agree with Jules here on this one and Peasant I have talked to you in the past about this crusade you are on.

People are going to go ahead with things like the OP/like keeping unsuitable pets/like treating pets incorrectly whether we like it or not and I suppose the point Im trying to make is that we may aswell give people the "correct" knowledge that some posters have to try and "minimise" any discomfort/distress to the animal in question.

I for one would like to feel that by sharing some of my knowledge of herps with a poster who hasnt got a clue about say an exotic pet then I can help that animal in a roundabout way rather than the owner "guess" whats right or wrong and cause that animal "distress" wheter its deliberate or not.
    Richie.

Ok ...we have two different discussions here.

One is on topic and I'd like to state again that all I've done there is to ask a valid, non aggressive and probably even "helpful" question to the OP

The other one is between Jules (and now Hellrazer)and me.
    While I agree with both of you, that it is usually better not to press principles too much and offer advice instead, because it might help to better the situation of the animal concerned, I beg to differ on this specific occasion.

Right now the OP has a healthy, happy two year old Lab bitch.
    Whatever "advice" we as a board might be able to give him/her here in regards to breeding, will never be sufficient to ensure that everything is done right and everything will go well. So the "advice" offered might actually worsen the situation for the dog. Plus there are the other issues of surplus pups ...raising them, caring for them, having homes for them etc.

If somebody really wants to breed off their dog, they should get in touch with the relevant breed organisation and their vet and consult them for advice and assistance ...whoever feels the need to get advice on this board re breeding shouldn't be breeding in the first place because they clearly do not know enough about it.

That's my opinion on this specific subject and I'll stick to it

and as an aside:
    The only really helpful post in this thread (in my opinion) was the link posted by Danes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

the op did not post looking for advice on breeding peasant the op simply asked to try locate a person who wishes to breed with the ops bitch.. not saying i agree with one who intends breeding to do that however this forum is aimed at providing information for animal/pet owners people who post here should not be subjected to rants which are based on his opinions which are unhelpful to the op. a simple research before breeding or provide a helpful link would be much better than people taking over threads with their opinion which leads to thread spoiling.

i agree with jules ppl should be able to post here and members dhould be helping them in a nice positive way not coming down on them like a ton of bricks so that they dont stick around on the boards and head off breeding having learnt nothing new.

now peasant before you come in attacking me for stating my opinion please just pm me to say what u have to say or simply hold your tongue:D
    im not becoming involved in this debate again i simply think the mods need to sort it correctly as this thread spoiling has to stop its unfair on other posters.

to the op good luck in finding a sire or your lab sorry for going off topic.
    just remember to research and be responsible when breeding.

and peasant if thiose questions are raised here, we will deal with them accordingly.. im not saying yes go and over breed your dogs, im not says even breed them once but please just consider what you are saying in so far as people will do it!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I disagree entirely with the OP breeding their 2 yo lab.
    But judging from their original statement they have made their mind up to go ahead anyway.

At most all we can expect is that the OP listens to ours concerns and decides against breeding but maybe,just maybe if the OP has their mind set on breeding then they will contact the relevant owners club/breeders club and find out the best way to go about it.

Peasant--there is no badness meant in what Im trying to say to you and Im with you on nearly all of your posts regarding animal welfare but waht we are trying to do is limit the damage to the animal especially if the OPs have already set their minds on doing what they have planned anyway.
    Richie

well put and of completely agree with your statement regarding paesant, as i have agreed with him 99% od the time but we need to have a bit of perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

peasant wrote:
    B]whoever feels the need to get advice on this board re breeding shouldn't be breeding in the first place [/B]

in total agreement with you on that one (& the rest of your post btw)

we all agree with him on this point but its still going to happen, cant people see past their own points of view... christ, im getting really frustrated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Whilst I do think the breeding of any more dogs in this country is ridiculous and irresponsible, I also agree that at best, all that can be done is to inform the person about the issues and not go off on a "you are so evil to be doing this" tirade, unless of course this issue is what the topic of the thread is.

All we can do, is post an answer to a question if we possibly can and maybe point out positives and negatives to help the decision to be made responsibly.
    Some people want to breed purebreeds, they are not all evil horrible people. As long as they have suitable and checked homes ready and waiting and know the potential problems & solutions it is up to them to make that decision.

Personally, before I try to give any advice on this board, I research my opinion as much as possible (google is a wonderfull research tool when it comes to animal husbandry, and I spose it helps that I have also done a few courses in animal husbandry too, but I still research my answers).

To the OP:
    Contact your breed organisation, which is,

Mrs Angela Hancock
    Labrador Retriever Club Of Ireland
    48 Shelbourne Road, Ballsbridge.
    Phone: 01-6685244

And she will advise you regarding sires and dams and the correct procedures of breeding purebreeds.
    She will also advise you of the cost involved in using the sire.

b

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

in total agreement with you on that one (& the rest of your post btw)

Agreed 110%. Peasant, you are spot on. Sometimes people just can't do what they want just because they want to! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement