Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless in hotel

• 31-07-2006 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

hi im setting up wireless broadband in a hotel an apartments across the road, im using 3mb irish broadband an have a linksys dlink router in the attic conected directley to the ibb i hav it hard wired down to reception and want to no how i can get i wireless in the reception area for the customers an across the road into the apartments wirelessly,the linksys router is wireless an wired but wont reach over to the apartments,can anyone tell what hardware to get to do this that is easy to use and set up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

start by scrapping IBB :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

hi im setting up wireless broadband in a hotel an apartments across the road, im using 3mb irish broadband an have a linksys dlink router in the attic conected directley to the ibb i hav it hard wired down to reception and want to no how i can get i wireless in the reception area for the customers an across the road into the apartments wirelessly,the linksys router is wireless an wired but wont reach over to the apartments,can anyone tell what hardware to get to do this that is easy to use and set up?
    You will need a parabolic antenna outside on top of the hotel pointing in the direction of the apartments. You will then need an outside access point connected to the antenna, and in turn a cat5 cable ran from the outside access point and back into your linksys dlink router. Alternatively you could use a sector antenna instead of a parabolic antenna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Depending on the distance. Odds are that two linksyswrt54gs with Stella Deorus antennas will do you over a reasonably short distance. (do a Line of site test before splashing for all the kit)

Make sure to use proper greased (LMR***) microwave cable and good connectors.
    www.aerial.net

Set up ur ap for the apartments off that.

Bushy had good posts if you fancy digging through the forums.
    Irsihwan.ie have forums with plenty of info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eoghanflynn

it wasnt my choice to get ibb i hate them!!kul will any of those antennes conect directly in to to router an bost the signal because the router is in the attic an can put on the roof easy?the apartment are only about 10 meters away,an will the signal reach to the opposite side of the apartments?thanks

it wasnt my choice to get ibb i hate them!!kul will any of those antennes conect directly in to to router an bost the signal because the router is in the attic an can put on the roof easy?the apartment are only about 10 meters away,an will the signal reach to the opposite side of the apartments?thanks
    You will need a suitable pigtail to go from the router to the antenna. If you use a sector antenna pointed in the direction of the apartments which is only a mere 10 metres away this will allow anyone with wifi enabled laptops to pick up the signal without any external antenna. Desktops could also use a USB dongle too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eoghanflynn

i no i sound like an idiot but would you be able the give me a reliable brand name of these?
    Thanks

i no i sound like an idiot but would you be able the give me a reliable brand name of these?
    Thanks

This here should do the job for you:

http://www.wi-pipe.com/2.4GHz/Specs/24%203015.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Ok hotel first...you're nearly ready for action in the reception area , if its not too big you may get away with just one AP,if not a bit more cable running is in order, you can use stuff like wds to relay the signal on but it (usually) halves the bandwidth and if the main one fails, the whole show comes to a halt.
    As far as mounting the AP , you can get nice ceiling mount antennas but you'd need to put the gear in the ceiling space ( not a good idea , unapproved gear --fire hazard in public place etc)

Will all this be free in the apartments and the hotel ? If so and you put an antenna on the roof of the hotel to cover the apartments it won't take long before neighbouring houses/apartments cop on to free internet.

If you do put an antenna on the hotel roof , there is a chance that the AP won't "see" the laptops in all of the apartments ( the laptops will show a good signal but it won't work..it needs two way communication )
    Then again putting APs indoors in the apartments may be fun , usually built of plenty of steel and mass concrete
    All this depends too on how tall the two buildings are and so on , you need to tell us a bit more

Advertisement