Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Gates

• 31-07-2006 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭

Thinking of installing electric gates. Any information at all would be agreat help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Electro Automation in Mulhuddart 824 6666 "FAAC"
    or
    Nordeal in Kilpedder 2819655 "CAME"

Most gate companies are buying their actuators from one of the above.
    Both are quite helpful in giving information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

Thanks Hoagy, will check them out.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I looked at them a while back and found a couple of systems would have been nighmares if the power went, in the end the system best suited to the gates I have was very expensive because of the weight of the gates.

Ask a lot of questions or better read the data sheets if you can get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

I have been having an ongoing investigation for quite some time.

I have discovered that the sliding 'one piece' gate is the most secure, as the normal 50:50 split swing type gate can easily be pushed open with the nose of a vehicle.

Also, alot of my neighbours use electric gates, and late last year I was going home from work, it was dark and very very stormy. Inevitably there was a power cut, and there was 4 or 5 cars sitting outside their gates where the drivers obviously were waiting for the torrential rain to die down a bit so they could manually override their gates...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I've only installed the over ground swing kit and the roller kit and both of these have a key that allows you to bypass the motor in case of a power cut. Others have backup batteries that will work for 4 or 5 times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I have the sliding gates, and yes they are very secure, if you want you can PM me and I'll give you the name of 2 or 3 guys whould I really expect to be sharp on their costs. Our gate has two opening positions, one half and one full, as described most systems have a bypass key that you can just keep in your car.
    The sliding gates will fix into a wall and are very secure but they tend to look a bit industrial (or less fancy options compared to 50:50 types might be a better way to describe it).
    I have mine programmed to work with the gate in work and at home , so that might be of some use to you too.
    they are a great Idea, they really give nobody a reason to be in your garden. If the metal worker is good and the galv joins are good, you can get away without painting them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Could a 50:50 style swing gate be welded up and attached to a sliding gate system? You could have the more attractive look of the swing gate, with the security of the sliding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I guess if your good enough with metal anything can be done, look at what BA can do!, anyway typically most sliding gates are of uniform height as there is a roller at the top and a runner at the end of the gate. therefore gates with arches and points at different points struggle to pass through the top roller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I reckon you could attach the roller guides to the front of the swing gates and they wouldn't look out of place. Then the gate would slide but look better than the Fort Knox stlye sliders...

Advertisement