Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghibli movies on Filmfour

Options
  • 31-07-2006 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Filmfour is now free and they'll be showing Ghibli movies over the next few weeks. Just letting people know. :)

Fri 4th Aug - The Castle Of Cagliostro (4.55pm)
    Sat 5th Aug - Kiki’s Delivery Service (4.55pm)
    Sun 6th Aug - Princess Mononoke (4.30pm)
    Mon 7th Aug - Laputa Castle In The Sky (4.55pm)
    Tue 8th Aug - My Neighbour Totoro (5.10pm)
    Wed 9th Aug - Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Winds (4.45pm)
    Thu 10th Aug - Porco Rosso (5.15pm)
    Fri 11th Aug - Princess Mononoke (4.45pm)
    Sat 12th Aug - My Neighbour Totoro (5.05pm)
    Sun 13th Aug - Laputa Castle In The Sky (4.55pm)
    Mon 14th Aug - Kiki’s Delivery Service (5.05pm)
    Tue 15th Aug - Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Winds (4.45pm)
    Wed 16th Aug - Porco Rosso (4.45pm)
    Thu 17th Aug - The Castle Of Cagliostro (5.10pm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

this is on NTL digital isnt it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

Sweet joy of joys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

No Pom Poko? They showed that eariler in the year when they were doing the Ghibli season.

I have to pick it up on DVD actually, I think it's the only Ghibli I don't have on DVD yet. I even have My Neighbours the Yamadas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

www.sendit.com are doing a Studio Ghibli special offer at the moment. 2 movies for 26 yo-yo if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

evad_lhorg wrote:
    this is on NTL digital isnt it?!

Is it?

We need answers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

We are going free-to-air, this means the new FilmFour service will soon be available to everyone with digital TV

Very disapointing, extreme gayness.

Who the hell has digital anyway.

I have digital! Cause we don't get regular TV in Dundalk without a big stoopid aerial thing.

They showed Grave of the Fireflies a while ago on Film4, shame they're not showing it again. But then it doesn't really fit in with the films listed above..

Edit: Oh, and Film4 is on NTL Channel 323 in Ireland.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

"You are not subscribed to this service"

Weak.

CuLT wrote:
    "You are not subscribed to this service"

Weak.

Eh? Well if you can't get Film4 for free you should contact Sky or NTL or whoever and find out why. I was only watching The Godfather on it tonight on Sky digital, so I can confirm its free on their service. You shouldn't need to subscribe :(

It's 315 and 316 on Sky by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Beebox

Maddzy wrote:

They showed Grave of the Fireflies a while ago on Film4, shame they're not showing it again. But then it doesn't really fit in with the films listed above..

Oops forgot to put that in.

12th August - 02.05am Grave of the Fireflies (or early on morning on the 13th)

14th August - 00.45am Grave of the Fireflies (or early on morning on the 15th)

Ah was wondering, cause Channel 4 love that film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Is it free for good now or wha?

I caught the end of Princess Mononoke the other day

Hopefully there'll be good movies on in the evening now

Yes, free for good. Or untill they change their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I got the basic digital NTL and i cant get film4...and the ad said film4 goes free!!!

Got to watch Princess Mononoke on sunday in a mates gaff, cant get over how good that style of anime is...wasnt nutz about it been dubbed though :rolleyes:

I just watched Totoro, the first chance I've had to sit down and watch Film4 during the Ghibli season. It was the Disney dub, which I didn't see before. They did a good job on it, better then the other dub, but Disney are good at what they do, and they respect Miyazaki so I'm all for them getting dub license for his stuff.

I didn't like the job they did with Kiki's Delevery Service though... Phil Hartman's lame Jack Nicholson voice for the cat was terrible.

I didn't like the job they did with Kiki's Delevery Service though... Phil Hartman's lame Jack Nicholson voice for the cat was terrible.

I'm watching Kiki's right now. Seems Film4 agrees with your opinion of the dub, cause they are showing the subtitled version :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I see Film4 had 2 versions of Princess Mononoke last week - dubbed and subtitled. I thought the dubbed version was excellent. Good film too.

Ah so they are showing both dubbed and subbed? Thats really cool of them. Explains why each film is showing twice, although I thought that was just incase you missed some. I think some of the Ghibli dubs are excelent and they usually get at least one big named actor. They are very picky about the translations of their films, and I hear they have a tight contract with Disney. I don't see why all anime dubs can't be up to that quality.

Even the French dub of Porco Rosso starred Jean Reno!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Beebox

The dubbed version of 'The Cat Returns' was on yesterday. The subtitled version is on Thursday 7th September at 15.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Beebox wrote:
    The dubbed version of 'The Cat Returns' was on yesterday. The subtitled version is on Thursday 7th September at 15.00.
    I watched that today. I just got Sky and Princess Mononoke will be on next Wendesday.

Are they showing any more films again?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

The thing about Disney dubs though is that they are heavily adapted and rescripted. Often there is lots of superfluous dialog, which can often change the tone (watch the end of Kikis for instance). They can sometimes have some really bad performances too mixed in with some good ones.

And if you got a dubtitled version .... then you can't even fall back on the japanese audio.

Princess Mononoke was generally good, but there are a few phoned-in performances too.

There's a huge selection of the Ghibli films in Tower Records for just €16.99 each. I finally picked up Pom Poko and now my Ghibli DVD collection is complete.... it's nice that I've finally achieved something with my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

HMV have some of the Ghibli collection at sale price, didn't know Tower had got in on the act! I got My Neighbour Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle for €15.99 each, and Whisper of The Heart for €10.99. I think I saw The Cat Returns there for the same price.

Watched My Neighbour Totoro the other night, a really beautiful little film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Thanks everybody for the info on Tower Records. I picked up Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Howl's Moving Castle. They were also selling action film figures from both films there, I was very tempted to buy the Scarecrow keyring, but I was out of pocket by then and they were pretty expensive anyway. Now I just have to get my other Ghibli films back from my sister.

Actually, speaking of Tower, I got the gift set director's cut of Steamboy in there recently for €19.99. Haven't watched that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Wow, BlueSpiral posts somewhere other than TCN! :P

I witnessed my first Ghibli movie in this little run, Grave of the Fireflies, thought it was just brilliant, recorded it at the same time (god bless Sky+) and watched it again the next morning! Caught a few of the other movies after that but had missed most of the season unfortunately! So I'm going to start collecting them, recommendations for a first buy?

• Advertisement
Advertisement