Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband POP3

• 31-07-2006 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭

Ive got BT BB and no mails are going out, what is the POP address i should have in??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Incoming mail (pop3) - pop3.iol.ie
    Outgoing mail (smtp) - mail.iol.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Same thing happened to me.incomming is fine but no outgoing. checked my settings and all are ok.
    i think the fact i got wireless BB from another company might have something to do with it:D
    i mailed bt this morning about it but so far no reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

John mac wrote:
    Same thing happened to me.incomming is fine but no outgoing. checked my settings and all are ok.
    i think the fact i got wireless BB from another company might have something to do with it:D
    i mailed bt this morning about it but so far no reply.
    If you've got wireless BB from some other company, then you on't be able to send mail throug BTs mail servers - send it through your wireless ISPs servers. You can do that even if you still want to use an old @iol.ie address as your From: address.

how ?
    do i need to give the isp a call or can i do it from here? (i presume i will need the isp's server settings)

John mac wrote:
    how ?
    do i need to give the isp a call or can i do it from here? (i presume i will need the isp's server settings)

Who's your ISP?

Check their website. They should have a support section which will tell you the settings.

• Advertisement

mel123
    How did you get on? Did you get it sorted?

Have checked No support!
    just email!
    will just have to wait for bt or westnet to reply:)

John mac wrote:
    Have checked No support!
    just email!
    will just have to wait for bt or westnet to reply:)
    Did you try mail.westnet.ie as the SMTP address for sending mail? (It's the server that westnet.ie receives mail from the internet).

If you are connected to ISP XYZ, then you can't use ISP PQRs SMTP server to send mail (unless they have enabled authentication, and you have a username/password). Under normal circumstances, you must use your "local" SMTP server to send mail, where "local" is defined as the ISP that you are connected to the internet through. You should be able to use ISP XYZs server to send mail even if you have a somebody@PQR.net address.

Marvlous
    It works.
    Thanks..:D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭mel123

kleefarr wrote:
    mel123
    How did you get on? Did you get it sorted?

Yeah i got it thanks, i just re-entered the POP3 address and now its ok, even tho i had it right?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭dubmick

I use eircom's pop for my eircom mail on BT Wireless.

dubmick wrote:
    I use eircom's pop for my eircom mail on BT Wireless.
    Well, you'd find it hard to download your eircom mail from anyone elses POP server, no matter what ISP you use, because your eircom mail is only on eircoms POP server.

You may be able to use eircoms SMTP servers to send mail from some other Irish ISPs, because of eircoms historical position they have in the past allowed access to their SMTP servers from a wide range of Irish IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

Foxwood wrote:
    Well, you'd find it hard to download your eircom mail from anyone elses POP server, no matter what ISP you use, because your eircom mail is only on eircoms POP server.

You may be able to use eircoms SMTP servers to send mail from some other Irish ISPs, because of eircoms historical position they have in the past allowed access to their SMTP servers from a wide range of Irish IP address.
    True. While on BT wired I could send mail through eircom, but when I moved and switched to new wireless setup, I could not and had to use my ISP's settings (Premier).

Advertisement