Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Projector questions

• 31-07-2006 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering buying a projector purely for home entertainment (DVD,Games).

Is there any difference between portable and the home cinema ones? Most seem to be portable and those seem cheeper than the home cinema ones.

Since I'll be hooking this up to a PC I want a high resolution allot seem to be around the 800 x 480 mark. Is this resolution any good? I'm thinking I'll want one that's at least 1024 x 780.

I've always wanted one but I'd hate to get stuck with a crap one that I'll never use. I've seen some in pubs with terrible picture quality and there big fancy ones. I'm picky about image quality.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

if your on a budget,
    you can get one with VGA reolution.
    thats 800 x 600 and is fine for normal tv and dvds.

portable ones tend to be not as bright as home theatre ones due to smaller lamps etc.
    tbh, that shouldnt matter as even with the best projetor youll want a slightly darkened room to enjoy it.

for home theater on a budget you ahve 2 choices and 2 problems
    dlp, bright and clear - problem is the colors appear too slowly on screen so some people see a rainbow effect that can cause motion sickness.
    i have this problem and stupidly bought a dlp projector, but after about 2 weeks i got used to it and now am fine.
    or
    lcd, less bright but cheaper. issues is with a "chicken wire" effect, where you can see the pixels split up in some iamges,
    ive never seen this, but amnt experienced with lcd's.

best advice is to check one out before you pay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

It is always advised to have a first hand look at a projector before you buy one.

It has been a while since I used one as I sold it because I suffered from the rainbow affect and I didn't intend on using an LCD one for a good while.

The projector I used was a BenQ PE5120. In the good amount of time I had it, I would recommend it to a friend, but I'm sure there is a better model out now in replacement of that, as I only got that last October.
    Granted it wasn't a high-res PJ, it was a native widescreen model and quiet in economy mode.

Of couse I would always favour DLP over LCD, but the next model I will look for will have a bigger segment colour wheel and a faster rotation speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cheers chappies,

This is the ProjectorI was looking at (well it's the one at the bottom of the page) It's DLP which could be a problem with it being so cheap. I found 1 or two good reviews of it that say it's picture is a little intence which may not be to everyones tastes.

Advertisement