Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance!!

Options
  • 31-07-2006 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

can anyone let me no of an insurance company dat will insure me?im 17 an have a 1984 1.0 starlet , rang loads of them an they wont quote me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The car is too old. If you look at the standard terms and conditions, 10 years old is the max age most of them cover so the car is a non standard risk. In addition to this, the fact that you're 17, on a provisional and male (I'm guessing on the last two) means no quote. Try getting a quote on a 5 year old micra, that should identify the insurers that are prepared to deal with you, then it's time to start negotiating about the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eoghanflynn

ye i can get insured no boder on a recent enough car, but i jst bought this car its really rare an in imacelet condition,jst wondering has anyone else my age got insurance on a car like this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Just wondering, whats rare about it? Good luck with the insurance, best bet is to ditch the car..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

funkyflea wrote:
    Just wondering, whats rare about it? Good luck with the insurance, best bet is to ditch the car..
    That particular Starlet was RWD, wasn't it?

1 litre, RWD, this drifting fad has gone too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

maybe try for vintage insurance on that thing...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Quinn Direct- I had a car over 10 Years old as my first car with them 2 years ago!! No problems getting it insured just expect to pay through the nose tho!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

maybe try for vintage insurance on that thing...

That won't work. Has to be a 2nd car yadda, yadda, yadda.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭breanoh

Try hibernian, I am 21 driving an '86 renault, and they insured me no bother. Car's age apparently doesn't matter as long as it has a valid NCT. To hell with driving those newfangled computers on wheels, stick with the old starlet, more fun, more personal, no computer! I am with hibernian through an online broker, (insure.ie) I would give them a ring if I was you, they are very helpful and should be able to help you out. But the whole provisional thing might catch you out!? Might be an Idea to ask advice in the classics forum, people in there might have a better Idea.
    Breanó

ye i no u can fix this car with a coat hangor no technology in it at all!!!its rare because its rear wheel drive no rust an a genuine 35,000 miles on the clock,if i can't get insured on it ill be selling it its in to gud nick to drift or rally it!tried insure.ie they wouldnt qoute me might ring them now but would it make any differance?

yea, my car isn't even listed on their website, but I got a quote pronto on the phone. I know all about the starlet, a car I always liked, but too bad the drifters/ boy racers have ruined them! Wow, mileage is low for an 84, I have an 86 with the same mileage! And my friends have mammy's 04's with more! Stick with the starlet if you can, It's better than any of the boring modern euroboxes around at the moment!

• Advertisement

jst gav them a rang there no price came up!!!what am i going to do!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

ye i no u can fix this car with a coat hangor no technology in it at all!!!its rare because its rear wheel drive no rust an a genuine 35,000 miles on the clock,if i can't get insured on it ill be selling it its in to gud nick to drift or rally it!tried insure.ie they wouldnt qoute me might ring them now but would it make any differance?

hope you end up crashing your car sooner rather than later so you learn the harsh lesson that acting the dick on the road will evetually get you and possibly others killed

miju, that is an awful thing to say to someone. How has anything he said led you to believe that he would crash it, or that he would act the dick on the road? I would hate to see such a nice car crashed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

miju wrote:
    hope you end up crashing your car sooner rather than later so you learn the harsh lesson that acting the dick on the road will evetually get you and possibly others killed
    That's pretty harsh. Where did he indicate that he was gonna be a dick on the road. Oh wait - everyone under 18 must be a dick on the road, forgot :) Wise up.

Anyway Eoghan, try hibernian - you'll have to do that ignition scheme though. Otherwise, sell it to the classic car boys, it's too good to go rallying!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm guessing miju was referring to:
    if i can't get insured on it ill be selling it its in to gud nick to drift or rally it!
    Clearly the only reason he's so desparate to insure this car is because the RWD will allow him to pull rapih' handbrakers and drift around the corners with all his buds in the back seat.

At least he's trying to get insured though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

any chance of a picture of the car please

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

seamus wrote:
    I'm guessing miju was referring to:
    if i can't get insured on it ill be selling it its in to gud nick to drift or rally it!

Clearly the only reason he's so desparate to insure this car is because the RWD will allow him to pull rapih' handbrakers and drift around the corners with all his buds in the back seat.

At least he's trying to get insured though.

Huh? I took that to mean that he doesn't want to drift it, because it's in too good condition?

its only a 1 litre an only has bout 40bhp u can't even spin the wheels in i,so how am i supose to act the ejit in it?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

its only a 1 litre an only has bout 40bhp u can't even spin the wheels in i,so how am i supose to act the ejit in it?

Thats cool. Are you going to keep it that way or pimp it. If you drive it like that i think you deserve insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

that car looks immaculate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

Thats in superb condition!! It would be a shame to scrap it. A mate of mine has a 1990 Starlet 1.3 that he got off his granny with only 35k on the clock. It was good condition so he wanted to keep it. Hes 20 on a provisional with no driving experience and quinn insured him. I think its something like 2400 in his mom's name 3rd party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

miju wrote:

Thats a fairly stupid comment to make, read his post properly!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

eoin_s wrote:
    Huh? I took that to mean that he doesn't want to drift it, because it's in too good condition?
    D'oh, stab me and my inaccurate speedreading. :)

Advertisement