Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer Ring Road Hell! (semi hell)

• 31-07-2006 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone using the ORR will have noticed how the eastbound lanes have been reduced to one thanks to 3 sections of the raod being coned off. The reason being installation of lighting and a pavement which is grand (they should have built them during construction of course) but they're doing sod all work on two of the sections, resulting in slow tailbacks behind JCBs and farm vehicles.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Good to see the link between the N25 and the Old Kilmeaden Road is almost complete.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

You'd think they'd do one section at a time but at least they're finally getting round to doing it. I'm glad they opened the road as soon as they did rather than waiting for the lighting and footpaths because we can still have access to the road.

That was a horrific car accident by the Williamstown golf course entrance yesterday morning. Anyone know what happened or what happened the driver or know if he/she's ok? When we were passing there were 3 units of the fire brigade, ambulances and Gardai dealing with it and the car was in bits down in the ditch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did'nt hear about that. Only one car involved?

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Male driver, only one car involved. He missed the roundabout and went right through it. Not sure how if he was badly injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

what happened is he was in the inside lane and was speedin i guess by what happened

and as he gave to the roundabout he skided across the road into 1 of those huge signs
    you can see the mark running across the road

his own stupidy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

all wrong this is the real story i was on the call.... 5 females in car all cream crackers full of hooch? one trapped we had to cut her out......

• Advertisement

portlairge wrote:
    all wrong this is the real story i was on the call.... 5 females in car all cream crackers full of hooch? one trapped we had to cut her out......

Is this so?

Strange how stories are put around alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

portlairge wrote:

excuse my ignorance and use of slang.. but what exactly do you mean by "cream crackers full of hooch?"

Bards wrote:
    excuse my ignorance and use of slang.. but what exactly do you mean by "cream crackers full of hooch?"

imho I would say he means 5 of the travelling community full of drink!

Cream crackers - knackers.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Cream crackers - knackers.

Mike.

Ah good old Mike straigh to the point. :D

• Advertisement

:o

Mike.

Thanks Mike for clearing that one up.. Keeping true to the sterotype of said people... was it a Hi-Ace by any chance:D

The wimmim all retired to WRH and were apparently worse for wear in all senses of that phrase. The Gardai were having a hard time getting a sample

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

There also putting in a domestic water pipe and gas works along the ORR not sure which side. The lighting, footpaths and cycle paths were an after thought by WCC and were not inculded in the original tender as Coffey Construction did not win that tender they are being installed now.

How do I know this info I work for Coffey's and was there when the tender was being submitted

I see pipe ends on the inside of the road. So I guess thats the water or maybe its just drainage. Anyway they are on holliday, why start a job and then down tools? Grrrrrr

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

don't worry if there on CIF (Construction Industry Federation) holidays they'll be back on Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I saw the car being removed a few hours later. The roof had been cut off which made the car and the accident look a lot worse than it probably was but that sign did get a battering!

Anyone know when the Ring road to the Kilmeaden road wil be open?.. looks to be finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yeah, it looks like it's done, just a case of removing the barriers as far as I can see. Don't know what the delay is... perhaps holidays?

Not advocating graffitti, but maybe someone should spraypaint "OPEN THE ROAD FOR F*** SAKE" on the barriers. Remember someone did that at the Williamstown end? Have to say I giggled at that one... a step above your usual scumbag with a spraycan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

fricatus wrote:
    Yeah, it looks like it's done, just a case of removing the barriers as far as I can see. Don't know what the delay is... perhaps holidays?

Not advocating graffitti, but maybe someone should spraypaint "OPEN THE ROAD FOR F*** SAKE" on the barriers. Remember someone did that at the Williamstown end? Have to say I giggled at that one... a step above your usual scumbag with a spraycan.
    Ahhh I knew it would come in handy one day ;)
    ffsio2.jpg

• Advertisement

The good people of the Old Kilmeaden Road will be heartily glad when the new bit is open not to mention all those saps who sit at the Holy Cross junction waiting in vain to make a right turn, ditto Doneen before the Sweep.

Mike.

Anyone hear what Fine Gael's General Election Canditate Jim Darcy had to say this morning on WLRfm's news...

he is advocating reducing the spped limit to 50Km/H on approaches to the roundabouts and/or installing traffic lights at peak times and/or installing rummble strips. As this (In his opinion) is the only way to give equal priority to traffic on the ORR and those wishing to get onto it.

I want to know why he isn't insisting on upgrading it to fully Grade Seperated Junctions instead of this ridiculous proposal which will only make matters worse. One only has to look at the Kinsale Road Roundabout in Cork or the Mad Cow in Dublin to know that putting traffic lights on Roundabouts just does not work. Both are being retrofiited with Grade Seperated Junctions

He is a muppet in my opinion especially since he came out last year about privitasing the Granary Museum as it was loosing money (Museums exists for the promotion of heritage and tourism and therefore make an indirect profit)...I just hope we do not elect him to the Dail next summer.:mad:

There is'nt a cat in hells chance of that kind of investment being made on the ORR. Its on a different scale to the Cork South Ring, so I understand the counciler on this (shock). I think that flashing ambers plus narrowing strips (which fool people into slowing down) would be enough myself.

Whats required is some road sense, if everyone just eased off a little as they arrived at the Williamstown and Dunmore road roundabouts (the worst two by far) then traffic would be able to merge.

Mike.

If you don't ask you will never receive... Sligo got Grade Seperated Junctions for their inner relief road... That is the problem with Waterford.. we are prepared to accept the crumbs while everyone else gets the biscuit.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Bards wrote:
    If you don't ask you will never receive... Sligo got Grade Seperated Junctions for their inner relief road... That is the problem with Waterford.. we are prepared to accept the crumbs while everyone else gets the biscuit.
    :mad:

Indeed, there are any number of mickey mouse towns that seem to land excellent infrastructure. Wouldn't it be nice if Waterford were able to punch above its weight on something.

If a problem is identified, people should try to get it fixed, rather than thinking that Waterford is not big enough for the solution. None of these things are set in stone.

Is there even room for such changes?

Mike.

now is the time to plan before more buildings are built alongside the junctions.

As a Start I would recommend the Williamstown Road & the Tramore Road Roundabouts be replaced with Grade Seperated Junctions . Before the City Bypass is connected to the ORR Another one at the Western Junction would be needed. This would help traffic flows considerably & would be a better long term solution.

No Point in sending wannabe TD's to the Dail that cannot think BIG

Bards wrote:
    now is the time to plan before more buildings are built alongside the junctions.

As a Start I would recommend the Williamstown Road & the Tramore Road Roundabouts be replaced with Grade Seperated Junctions . Before the City Bypass is connected to the ORR Another one at the Western Junction would be needed. This would help traffic flows considerably & would be a better long term solution.

No Point in sending wannabe TD's to the Dail that cannot think BIG

Indeed, we could very easily be sorted in Waterford if a few little things were fixed now...

I've done up a wikipedia article on the Outer Ring Road: here.

I'd appreciate it if people took a quick look to make sure it is complete/correct. I may have some of the names of the roundabouts wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

merlante wrote:
    I've done up a wikipedia article on the Outer Ring Road: here.

I'd appreciate it if people took a quick look to make sure it is complete/correct. I may have some of the names of the roundabouts wrong.
    Old Tramore road should be Couse Bridge roundabout, plus there's another wrong I think, not sure which. The Lacken road doesn't have a roundabout, it's that big flyover thing.

Advertisement