Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diving courses

• 31-07-2006 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me where is the best place in dublin to learn to scuba dive. i want to get this for my husband for a gift. i looked on this site but nothing is up to date. thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Hi Tabatha,

The quickest route to getting licensed to dive is PADI. But he could also join a club which takes longer to get qualified but is cheaper and the course goes into much more depth.

PADI sounds like what you want as its a gift. For a start in Dublin there are:

www.oceandivers.ie
    www.discoverscuba.net
    www.firststagediving.ie

I'm sure there are more than that but that's what google gave me on the first page, shop around for a good price. To get licensed by PADI hubby will have to do the Open Water course. But he could try the Discover Scuba course first to see if he likes it. Discover Scuba consists of two dives in shallow water. Open Water is 2 *inclosed* dives, usually in a pool and then two more *open water* dives (in the sea) at 12m and two at 16m if I remember correctly but carries the diving qualification. Both options are instuctor led of course :)

hth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

Back online then Stephen?

Yep, yep, yep. Been doing a fair bit of diving too. Did a couple on the wreck of the Guide Me in Dublin Bay and was out on the wreck of the Leinster last Friday eve. Boy that was murky. Took my hand off the shot line on the way down for a millisec to turn on my light and it was gone. Found the wreck but it was SO gloomy I couldn't recognise anything. Gonna go back with a distance line next time :D Also spent 8 days on Inishbofin diving some great walls and drops off. Twelve dives in total out there in the 25m - 38m range. Also did a great dive there recently on the Bolivar wreck on Kish bank in Dublin Bay. Only 12m deep but the wreck is uncovered at the moment and the vis was fishtank I tell ya. Some HUGE congers and lobster insitu and you can spend ages down there at that depth and there is lots of recognisable wreckage.

Happy daze :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

thanks for all that advice guys......i have to say, u are all very brave! i could never go into merky water, and the thought of there being fish around me....i think i would have a heart attack!

thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

tabatha wrote:
    thanks for all that advice guys......i have to say, u are all very brave! i could never go into merky water, and the thought of there being fish around me....i think i would have a heart attack!

thanks again.

Tabatha,

The fish are always watching, with their big beedy black eyes. You should see some of the conger eels. I've seen a few that have bigger heads than me... but they were just watching me... ever watching.

From the dive schools above firststage qualify a lot of divers but their shop is actually in Co Meath. Flagship are nearly in the centre of the city on ringsend and also qualify a lot of divers.

Don't know any of the rest...

Seriously fish, are you looking at me? I don't see anybody else in here..

Peace wrote:
    I've seen a few that have bigger heads than me...

I doubt it :)

Peace wrote:
    Tabatha,

The fish are always watching, with their big beedy black eyes. You should see some of the conger eels. I've seen a few that have bigger heads than me... but they were just watching me... ever watching.

It gets worse when you start thinking about where the fish do their "business" :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

smcmullan wrote:
    It gets worse when you start thinking about where the fish do their "business" :eek:

In the toilets of all the wrecks out there.

omg!!! i never thought of that....swimming in their toilet! now i really feel sick. ever see a fish bowl thats not cleaned for a few weeks, i have visions now of that being the reason the sea is so dark!:eek:

• Advertisement

Don't worry other fish eat it, then we eat those fish.

thats why i dont eat fish! i dont like the look or smell. there is simply no need. after seeing that film open water i dont think there is any need to scuba dive either. :)

Advertisement