Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasnevin noob

• 31-07-2006 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi,
    I just purchased a new house in Glasnevin and was wondering what would be the best and most efficient way of getting onto broadband?

Do I have to open an Eircom account first and then get it switch over to one of the various providers?
    Or can the provider set up my phone line as well?

Which broadband provider would you recommend?

I'm looking for fast upload & download speeds with the possibliity of some network gaming and live streaming. Preferably someone cheap!

Thanks in advance

Bobk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Give NTL a ring, see if they've got broadband up and running there yet... last time I rang them the cs rep said they'd be expanding broadband to glasnevin over the next few months... but then, they've been saying that for about 5 years :rolleyes: :D
    Other than that, you could probably get broadband from Smart Telecom, who pay your line rental... which almost pays for the broadband... so it works out very cheap if you look at it like that.
    Of course there are the other usual suspects (eircom/bt/utv/etc), but the two I mentioned were top of my shopping list.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bobk

Thanks,

Do I have to open an eircom account first or will Smart/NTL organise that for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Depends where in glasnevin you are, as i have NTL in glasnevin and it is excellent. Just give them a ring and they can check you address on the database to see if they have you covered yet.

Just found out that house is on the Phibsboro exchange and so I can't get Smart

NTL have 30Gb usage caps

anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

bobk wrote:
    Just found out that house is on the Phibsboro exchange and so I can't get Smart

NTL have 30Gb usage caps

anyone else?
    They dont really enforce the cap... or so ive been told, they send you a letter out to ask you to not download as much... i think it was if over 100gb a month lol

• Advertisement

Update:

NTL don't service the area, neither do Smart.

It's on the Phibsboro exchange.

Do I have any options or am I stuck with Eircom?

Thanks,

Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Hi bobk,

I'm also based in Glasnevin (Phibs exch.), I have BT Broadband Plus (3072/384 up/down) costs €50 per month including line rental.
    Your only alternative to eircom or a bitstream reseller (i.e. BT, utv, imagine, etc) is Wireless.

I know Digiweb have Metro which might cover you, their tower is from ESB Substation on N2-M50 Junction.

Also Irish Broadband, they have a few towers in/near Glasnevin, near DCU and Smurfits.

Supposedly Magnet will be available some time this month from the Phibs exchange but I wouldn't hold my breath (http://www.magnet.ie/pdf/dublin-map.pdf).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Got a call from a rep from Magnet yesterday to say that they are now in the Phibsboro Exchange and ready to take orders, he said there was a lead time of three weeks.

Advertisement