Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Buying a 20"

• 31-07-2006 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I poped into Xtravision in Navan today a to enquire about buying a TV. Anyway, I am starting work this week (16), so I am going to save up for it. I seen at 20" flatscreen, it was called media something or something media, I know it would probablly be handy if I had the name:rolleyes: . It was about €570 give or take a bit. It looked really nice and compact. I am also getting an Xbox360, so thats why I want the nice TV to go with it aswell. I have no experience buying TV's whatsoever. I asked the fella in Navan about doing a deal with the Xbox and TV, he said that he would try. But no luck. The total of the 2 was about €1,028. Can anyone recommend any other stores where I could try to get a deal done with both items. It doesn't matter if the store is in Dublin or not. Also I would like a bit of advice about buying the TV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Well seeing as your going so small at 20", I would have to assume it would probably not be HD. Ofcourse if you don't care about the HD, then it's not a problem, but seeing as your intending on using the TV for an Xbox360 you would need it as HD for best results. But tbh this is only noticable on 26" up.
    You dont state if the TV is a 4:3 or a 16:9 (standard box screen or widescreen)

If your going to be using it for the xbox360 you would want to make sure the tv has component inputs.
    I'm a little unfamiliar with the xbox connections, I'm not sure if there is a scart option or a VGA option.

It would be a good help if you had the full name, but from the media...something that it is, it sounds cheap feeling.

If you are shopping around for an LCD TV, make sure to get the resolution of the tv.
    Check for connection options, almost all have scart and VGA, aswell as S-video and composite (yellow RCA).
    Ask about response time.

Don't be afraid to get all makes and model numbers and go home and do a google on them.

In relation to deals...well it can vary from place to place. You would probably have more luck trying a deal in small standalone stores than big places like xtravision, currys, dixons etc. Then again these big places would be cheaper than small shops due to mass stock levels.

By the time your saving up depending on how long it may take you, there could be a better TV on the market, so then is the time to have a good look around, but don't drop your researching in the meantime.
    Let me tell you, it pays off in the long run if you have researched well. ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

just quickly looking on Komplett.ie

get your xbox for eur400 and a 27" hd ready samsung at euro740 -- so all for 1140 -- a lot better than 1028 for a 20" + xbox !!!!!

worth doing a good search for all items ...

Advertisement