Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

98 Polo 1.4 €3900 - is this a good price?

Options
  • 31-07-2006 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

I was looking at a Polo with a dealer this evening and despite a lot of checking in the different car sale websites, I'm wondering if it's a good deal for €3900? By the way I realise that I forgot to ask what warranty comes with it.

1998 Polo 1.4 Hatchback, 5 Door, 78k miles, Full Serv. Hist (didnt get to check it), just serviced with new cam belt, new NCT. Power Steering, Elec Windows.
    NO Stereo (the prev. owner kept it), Nokia Hands free kit built in.
    Looks good externally, Couldnt make out anything unusual in test drive.

One thing I did get a kick from - the rear washer jet doesn't spray onto the window, but rather straight out behind the car. Pity the heavens were opening when I was there - it could have been useful last week ;-)

Cheers
    Clanc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well the washer should be easily adjustable.

The mileage seems a little high but other than it looks okay I reckon. Try haggling the price down closer to €3000 if you can though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You're lucky to find a Polo with C/l e/w that mileage and FSH, I would consider it pricey, but a Polo with spec is as hard to find as a needle in a haystack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I sold a similar one recently with 2 years test for 3000 euros as is. You'll do very well to get three months warranty with a car that old.
    1.4s don't sell as well as 1.0s, even though they're a better car with power steering etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Clanc wrote:
    I was looking at a Polo with a dealer this evening and despite a lot of checking in the different car sale websites, I'm wondering if it's a good deal for €3900? By the way I realise that I forgot to ask what warranty comes with it.

1998 Polo 1.4 Hatchback, 5 Door, 78k miles, Full Serv. Hist (didnt get to check it), just serviced with new cam belt, new NCT. Power Steering, Elec Windows.
    NO Stereo (the prev. owner kept it), Nokia Hands free kit built in.
    Looks good externally, Couldnt make out anything unusual in test drive.

One thing I did get a kick from - the rear washer jet doesn't spray onto the window, but rather straight out behind the car. Pity the heavens were opening when I was there - it could have been useful last week ;-)

Cheers
    Clanc

This is very expenisve in my opinion. Almost €4k for a 8.5 year old VW Polo is silly money imo! Plus the fact that a small car like this has a 1.4 engine means that there will not be too many people who are in the market for a Polo hatchback looking for a 1.4 litre engine. The 1.0 litre is much more insurance friendly to first time buyers. That high spec (especially for a VW) combined with the 1.4 litre engine tells me that that car is possibly a UK import.

I would not pay a penny over €3k for 98 Polo assuming it is in good condition and has a 3 month warranty. Polos tend to be overpriced in this country.

Did you look at similar type cars? Incidently the Skoda Fabia and Seat Ibiza are basically the same car underneath as the VW Polo but are cheaper and have a higher spec:

Skoda Fabia 1.4 litre:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=463965
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=460765

Seat Ibiza:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=474929

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Clanc

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips
    Bazz- I did look at the Skodas - would have actually been my 1st preference but as per your links, the Fabias are only around from 2000 onwards and are out of my price range.
    As for the Ibizas, I hadnt really considered them at all and looking in Carzone, there seems to be a good selection with comparably better prices than the Polos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

With your budget buying a car that size, I would not go for a Polo. The perception in the Irish market is that they are extremely well built - better than anything else. This perception drives up the price and is good for the seller, not for the buyer

Depending on your priorities, I'd go Ford Fiesta 1.25 if you are a keen driver or Nissan Micra 1.0 if budget and total reliability are most important. Both are easy to sell on again

Both can be had from a decent second hand dealer with warranty for well below what you are considering to pay for a Polo

Yes the Fiesta would get my thumbs up also:

The 1.25 litre is the one to go for and has the same bhp as the 1.4 Polo.

Parts and servicing are also alot cheaper than VW.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=456575
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=423417
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=395750

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Stark wrote:
    Well the washer should be easily adjustable.

The mileage seems a little high but other than it looks okay I reckon. Try haggling the price down closer to €3000 if you can though.

less than 10k miles a year is high? If the service history is genuine it might be a decent bet. but check on carzone and compare other polos. Apparently they sell like hot cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

High in absolute terms rather than relative terms I meant. I realise it's an old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The book value of a 99 newer model is € 4080. I'd buy the car you're talking about for € 3, 000. You can be sure he's getting no more than this from a Dealership, especially considering it has no radio!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭breanoh

€2500, would be the max I would give for this, A small polo with a big engine, don't mind the spec, VW elec windows give trouble! Way overpriced car. The Ibiza is better value, and a nicer car to drive, alot more roomy inside. The fiesta is not the best of cars, but is cheap and cheerful, the ecu gives trouble on them. Micra is great, and you can get a 1.3, but the design is a bit girly, but it is up to yourself, For €3,800, I'd expect to get a '98 golf!

Stark wrote:
    High in absolute terms rather than relative terms I meant. I realise it's an old car.

but as you know, if i saw a 98 car with anything less than that, id be nervous!. Yeah it could be a run around for someone doing dman all...it could also be clocked! so itnk the miles ar good for a 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the price is a bit high, 1,4 Polos aren't that sought after, 3000-3500 is fairer.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I think the price is a bit high, 1,4 Polos aren't that sought after, 3000-3500 is fairer.

i agree. but i read recently that VW main dealers cant keep 98/99 Polos and golfs. There affordable for the first time car driver and they want to be driving a good brand. there findind it harder to mvoe 03/04's would u believe. So thats why they seem to be getting the money for them. i bet u someone will buy it at that money though..
    madness really..

bazz26 wrote:
    Yes the Fiesta would get my thumbs up also:

The 1.25 litre is the one to go for and has the same bhp as the 1.4 Polo.

Parts and servicing are also alot cheaper than VW.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=456575
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=423417
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=395750

agreed great engine that 1.25. Great on juice as well. First ones came out in 1999 in the older shape. in 00 i think they changed to a newer shape. but id buy the 1.25 over that polo anyday. and ud move it on quicker to due to the insurance costs of a 1.25 and tax etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Seems fairly expensive. I know it's not the same spec but I recently sold a '97 Polo with 70K and could only get €1900 for it.

tred wrote:
    agreed great engine that 1.25. Great on juice as well. First ones came out in 1999 in the older shape. in 00 i think they changed to a newer shape. but id buy the 1.25 over that polo anyday. and ud move it on quicker to due to the insurance costs of a 1.25 and tax etc etc.
    Actually the 1.25 litre engine has been in the Fiesta since about 1995/1996. It was designed by Yamaha and has around 75bhp, it's still available in the current Fiesta today. The Fiesta is also just as much reliable as the Polo but if something did go wrong Ford parts and labour costs are alot cheaper than VWs. Anyway I'm not sure if there is much of a market for 1.4 litre Polos in Ireland, most people would go for the roomier more comfortable Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

bazz26 wrote:
    Actually the 1.25 litre engine has been in the Fiesta since about 1995/1996.

1.25 engine was introduced in August 1997.

invest4deepvalue.com

bazz26 wrote:
    Actually the 1.25 litre engine has been in the Fiesta since about 1995/1996. It was designed by Yamaha and has around 75bhp, it's still available in the current Fiesta today. The Fiesta is also just as much reliable as the Polo but if something did go wrong Ford parts and labour costs are alot cheaper than VWs. Anyway I'm not sure if there is much of a market for 1.4 litre Polos in Ireland, most people would go for the roomier more comfortable Golf.

wow....i didnt realise that. i recall a 1.3 in 98. i assumed they were selling the 1.25 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Do-more wrote:
    1.25 engine was introduced in August 1997.
    Nuh-uh - it was introduced along with the facelifted Fiesta in November 1995 (the old model was still in production as the "Fiesta Classic" till 1997, in case that's confusing you). Not sure exactly if it was always available over here (the crappy Anglia-based 1.3 was still on the base models). It was also available in a 1.4 - again, dunno about Ireland.

If you can afford a 1.4, why don't you go for something more substiantial like a Golf or Corolla hatchback? Kinda sounds like a waste of engine in a Polo...

• Advertisement
Advertisement