Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie as a usenet server

Options
  • 31-07-2006 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭

As we're all aware there's been lots of trouble of late with the performance of boards.ie - it has been slow and fast, up and down, and searching has had its moments too.

I dunno how much extra work it would be, but I'm sure the load could easily be reduced if there was a way to piggyback a usenet server onto the database. Rather than everyone *having* to access the site through the web server and slow old vBulletin, why not simply set up a usenet server, that people log on to using their boards.ie username and password. This gives them a list of groups, which is the same as their list of boards, and they can read them through their usenet clients. No web server required, much lower bandwidth usage and because the usenet client's doing the work it's much more flexible on the client side too, not to mention making searching of the subject lines much much easier.

I'm sure there's reason not to, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

And makes it less obvious when you're idling your time away on webforums in work. I think it's a great idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Good idea and it would indeed take the lunchtime load off the server. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Only thing wrt to the "lunchtime load" is that most of that would be coming from people with desk jobs - and if they're working in any place with any sort of security, it will be quite likely that all NNTP (TCP port 119) is blocked by the LAN firewall.

It was like that for me, but fortunately I'm a network admin so was able to edit the firewall to allow news.iol.ie through ^_^

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I haven't seen this suggestion in years. Someone mentioned that possibility that they'd go off and write an nntp interface for boards once but I don't think it ever materialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Not sure if this is in the right direction (does it only work as an addon or integrate fully):

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92588&highlight=nntp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

From the description it seems it can allow you to access external newsgroups using the forum interface but not access the forums using an NNTP interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Where I work, NTTP isn't blocked. In fact, quite the opposite, they have their own groups carried on standard NTTP servers in the comp.* heirarchy.

That plugin you're linked to Cloud allows vBulletin to act as a usenet client, what I was thinking of was vBulletin as a usenet server.

eg. connect to news.boards.ie, log in using your boards.ie username and you see groups along the lines of

arts.anime-manga
    arts.artappreciation
    system.thethunderdome
    system.upgrade

Advertisement