Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood lake, Monaghan - how to clear the weeds?

• 31-07-2006 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

There are going to be water safety and swimming classes at this lake next week so a small army of volunteers went down to carry out a clean-up. The problem this year is it is choked with weeds; only a recent phenomenon apparently due to the fact that it is not being used as a reservoir any more(?).

We used rakes, forks and a makeshift grid attached to a ladder on a small boat and got loads out but it really was tokenism as only the top couple of feet were cleared. For next year, they are going to be sprayed which can only be done in October apparently and then barley straw placed at various places in the lake to prevent re-growth.

For next week though we really need a quick fix. Is there a purpose-made device which could be attached to a boat and dragged around the small area we need to clear? This is in a rural area and would be the only means of learning about water safety and to swim for many children.

Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated as we are quickly running out of time and may have to cancel the event.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Why not use St. Davnets pool, or what about classes in the Hillgrove? (No idea how it's going to operate. Thought I'd heard it was open to the public as well)

Rossmore lake any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

I don't know is the short answer. The water safety classes are always held annually in Hollywood Lake. Hollywood lake is lovely - I have swam there for many years but it has become weedy since it ceased being used as a reservoir.

There's something about lake swimming - compared to the sterile, safe environment of a swimming pool...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Yes there's something very distinct about being covred in hives after swimming there ;)

Great place though, I used to live a few mile away.

Advertisement