Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bridging or repeating a wireless router

• 01-08-2006 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Ok well to save me writing a load of mumbo jumbo up I drew a picture, its no picasso burt looking at the diagram i'm sure there is someone out there who has done the same thing before.

Thanks Guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Do a bit of googling on wds (cheap way out but it receives/retransmits on same antenna = even more dismal performance than usual ) or get 2 boxes and link them, one to "receive" and the other to "retransmit" it ... youll need to space the channels far apart too though. irl_robins or munstercycling come up with good stuff about these situations ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Thanks for the comment, but how did you come to that conclusion when ya didn't even look at the diagram!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

You don't want a router in the B position, because it wouldn't act as a router unless it's WAN port was wireless. (And you don't want the hassle of getting data to go through 2 routers).

But off the top of my head I don't know of a wireless access point that has multiple ethernet ports to do what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yea you need an access point in place of router, but normally access points only come with a single ethernet port. So you would have to link ap to a switch or router. Becomes rather messy and expensive then.

I wonder if a wireless ethernet bridge into a router WAN port might work. What is distance between network a and network b?

yeah looking at it more and doing reading it does seem like there will be alot more traffic created by two routers and I do need a multiple port access point but the internet hasn't yieded many of them.
    gonna look into a few other things as well.

• Advertisement

Foxwood wrote:
    But off the top of my head I don't know of a wireless access point that has multiple ethernet ports to do what you want.
    I found one. The Netgear WGPS606 does exactly what you're looking for. It also includes a print server port, so you can share a printer on your network to share.

Elara has it for €105.31.

Elaa also has a more expensive Linksys device, the WET54GS5, which has 5 ports, and which sounds like it will do the job.

Other "wireless ethernet bridges", often sold as "wireless gaming adapters" will only support a single device at a time.

Thanks a million foxwood they are bought perfect devices, will probably go for the linksys device although netgear one is cheaper, time to start reading reviews i think!!

thanks

Superman wrote:
    Thanks a million foxwood they are bought perfect devices, will probably go for the linksys device although netgear one is cheaper, time to start reading reviews i think!!
    Yes, make sure you read up on it first - I just did some preliminary research on Google, so I can't guarantee that it does what you want.

Just want to report back that the Linksys WET54GS5, does the job perfectly, was able to get it at a cheaper price on dabs.com as a pre-owned item.
    So far so good and can't complain that doesn't do everything it says it will!

Advertisement