Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contract necessary?

• 01-08-2006 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

When signing to say o2 do you have to sign a 1 year contract,if you dont get a phone or can you just use existing phone and pay monthly stopping at say a months notice as if contract has run out???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Every network requires at least a 12 month contract, as far as I know. O2 do give pay monthly sim only deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yep 12 month contract is required (standard with most networks) and if you want to get out of it early then you have to pay some sort of a fee+the rest of your months left (I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Ruu wrote:
    Yep 12 month contract is required (standard with most networks) and if you want to get out of it early then you have to pay some sort of a fee+the rest of your months left (I think).

there's no add on fee but you do have to pay off your monthly commitment*the number of months lefdt in your contract

you can get a sim only option but that doesn't affect anything except you've missed out on an oppurtunity of a cheap phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

You could sign a contract without getting a subsidised phone and then should you wish to terminate your billpay account while within the contract period you can then dispute termination charges based on the fact that the terms of your contract were not comparable to someone who did avail of a subsidised phone.

You would effectively be within your right to do so without being liable for any termination charges as there is an EU directive against unfair terms in consumer contracts. You'd probably find that if you made this point in your dispute they would drop any termination charges you've incurred.

www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/c_query/contract.cfm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

thanks for replies

just i dont tend to have a good record with bill phones ie i end up with sky high bills but if i could cancel if it got out of hand i'd go back to it as i'm interested in the new o2 active life deals

just to answer some above i have cancelled o2 contract twice and both times in fairness i only had to pay remainder of contract and the reduced it to lowest rate for remainder

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

To clarify o2 doesnt have termination charges, they just charge the remaining line rental. Its a twelve month contract minimum regardless of what you get with the contract. There's a box to tick on all first time connection forms. Good time to get an active life plan, double minutes for the first sixth months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I had a customer come in to me a while back, to take out a second line on his account, it was a sim only connection which usually would involve a 12 month contract. he had previously been in contact with the customer care and since he was not buying a phone they agreed to weaver the 12 month commitment.

Call the customer care (1909) and see what they say.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

gillo wrote:
    I had a customer come in to me a while back, to take out a second line on his account, it was a sim only connection which usually would involve a 12 month contract. he had previously been in contact with the customer care and since he was not buying a phone they agreed to weaver the 12 month commitment.

Call the customer care (1909) and see what they say.

This has happened with me too but generally with high spend accounts with other lines garenteeing to stay with o2 for more than twelve months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

SDooM
    To clarify o2 doesnt have termination charges, they just charge the remaining line rental.

The termination charges that other networks apply is the remaining line rental left in your contract - only with the other networks it's called termination charges and effectively amounts to the same thing. What should be done though is that these should be calculated at the lowest tariff available to you at the time you disconnect (regardless of whether you proactively move to this tariff before disconnecting) otherwise you're being ripped off.

Advertisement