Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems laying floors

Options
  • 01-08-2006 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Has anyone had any problems laying floors in Charlesland? When tiler and wooden floor guy started putting down floors, they discoverd that the main and french doors are set too low, so they cannot complete floors near doors or they would not be able to open them. We are trying to find solutions...hinges on doors that cause the doors to lift up, cut end of door and put draft excluder, built-in mat inside front door, etc - but none are ideal. Has anyone come across this situation or have any suggestions? Am stuck at the moment. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Personally I had no issues with putting semi-solid nor tiles on to any of the floors in our 2 bed in the Wood.

Not much help to you, I know.

Make sure that the doors can actually be shortened as I assume that these are proper fire doors as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

We couldn't fit the finishing piece (that metal bit) at the door because of clearance. So one day I decided to get a saw and take about 6mm off the bottom of the front door, like the floor dude told me. Was going ok until I hit some metal that runs through the door. Watch out for that!! Planning to get a hacksaw to it. Will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

yeah - let me know how it goes!!!!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 frugal

I just finished laying our floors on Sunday, had exactly the same problem with the clearance, but the French doors are very easy to pop off and a quick plane of about 6 mill seems too have done the trick. I suppose it was technically a snag item but its pretty easy to resolve.

thanks Frugal - does that not levae big gaps and drafts though?

• Advertisement

Not as far as i can tell, the metal stringer which sits in front of the french doors seems to close the gap cleanly (the doors are still below the top of the stringer). If anything i didn't take enough off because the doors are still slightly touching the floors but not enough to mark them - that's why i was saying it was probably a snag item in my case as there was no way wood floors could have gone in without trimming the doors.

are you in type e house too? they are a bit sloping on the building site!

Nope I’m in a type "C".
    Managed to get around to buying proper saddle boards over the weekend (brooks) and it looks like a further plane will be required on the doors for clearance. Should be fine though, all looks good, just takes a bit of time to sort out, but that's always the way when you bypass the pros :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CD_GD

We are getting our floors done by Brertons and I mentioned about the the clearance issue. He mentioned something about a different type of underlay that you can use around the doors. I'm not sure what exactly it's called but you could probably give them a call and ask them.

thanks for all the advise, helps to get som ideas - problem now is the tiles though.....????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 J_L

It's possible to take the doors off the hinges (which are drop hinges) and put in spacers. We've got two spacers in each of the hinges for the patio doors lifting the doors about four/ five mil.

John

thanks John, that's real useful to know.

Advertisement