Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flora London Marathon Entry

• 01-08-2006 8:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever done this before. The entry system seems to be a bit of a pain. It looks like you have to enter an application form, as an overseas runner, then wait until October to see if you have a place?
    I'd love to run that race, anyone know of a way to guarantee a place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

If you run for certain charities I believe they will guarantee a race entry. Check it out. If you enter as an individual, I have heard that it can take up to 6 years to get in...insane. Dublin guarantees all entries!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Definitely enter as an overseas applicant. I've only applied once, when I lived in London. Got turned down as a 'local' entrant but then entered as an overseas runner using my old home address and got in no worries.

Your selection also depends on your estimated finishing time. On the start line you must line up in a designated area depending on what time you hope to finish in. A certain colour on your race number lets the stewards know where you can enter the crowd. The two busiest are 2.30 - 3.00 hours and 3.00 - 3.30 hours, so there's less chance of getting selected if you hope to finished in about 3 hours. Unfortunately if you hope to finish in 3 hours but put 5 hours down on your entry form you'll be forced to line up at the back with the rest of the 5 hour runners.

Something like 100,000 entry forms are received each year and only 33,000 are accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Thanks for the info. Got a podcast explaining how to enter, you're right they receive over 100k applications each year, so you'basically got less than a 1 in 3 chance or getting in. I wouldn't be aiming at a sub 3 hour finish so that might improve my chances.

I've been looking at the charity option, most of the charities are UK based and require donations over £1000. They do guarantee entry though. I better start collecting now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Any particular reason why you want to run teh London marathon?

I know it's the one that gets lot of hype but it is really more of a charity event these days, "Golden Bond" charity places to guarantee entry, thousands running it in fancy dress and that sort of thing. I am told the atmosphere is great but if you want to run a marathon as a challenge it's not the one that would spring to my mind (do you really want to spend 4 hours running beside someone dressed as a hippo?)

Dublin is excellent, 10,000 runners so lots of people, good support all round, guaranteed entry and a nice route. If you really want to run a big marathon in a famous city then I really reccomend Paris. It's in April, first come first served entry, amazing route and well organised. They also give out wine & cider on teh route to the runners! Other marathons I have heard great things about are Amsterdam and Berlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I just Fancy running London, I have family over there, so I can visit them while there. I like the city too, and I figure it would be a good way to see it!.

I'm running Dublin this October. I'd like to give the Connemara marathon a go at some stage too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Never bothered entering the London marathon before but I'm tempted this year. It's the forms that put me off - I wonder if I filled it out with 3 different addresses though, would that get noticed :)

Advertisement