Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband setup question

• 01-08-2006 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

I have BT broadband setup in the house with a wireless router/modem (zyxel prestige 600 series). One of the lads in the house now wants to get online with his pc. The wireless card that I have - i'm having difficulty setting up. I couldnt get it working with the drivers on my pc before and I dont have the drivers on disk anyways to have a go at installing it on his.

So - as i have a spare regular zyxel router - i thought we could use this, plug it into the phone point in his room and get him online this way. Is it ok to have two routers/modems running off the home phone line/DSL connection??

Anyways, assuming its ok to do this, I am having some difficulties with this. When I go to the http address of the router and press enter on Internet Explorer, the connection popup box for a 'dialup' connection comes up (he would have had dialup setup on this pc previously). I went back and created a new broadband connection but still cant connect/get to the router config screen. I originally used this router myself before my wireless router arrived and it worked first time (although i was using firefox as the browser - i think IE is throwing me off course somehow?).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

baguio wrote:
    I dont have the drivers on disk anyways
    Get the drivers from the manufacturer's website
    baguio wrote:
    Is it ok to have two routers/modems running off the home phone line/DSL connection??
    Not at the same time, you can have one or other on, not both.
    baguio wrote:
    the connection popup box for a 'dialup' connection comes up
    Open IE, Tools->Internet Options. Click on Connection tab. Choose never dial a connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

Get the drivers from the manufacturer's website
    Yeah I have done so on the other pc - didnt want to go to the trouble of burning them onto a disk - but i suppose i will have to now anyways.
    Not at the same time, you can have one or other on, not both.
    Ok, thanks for clearing that one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

I have established a connection between the linksys wireless G network adapter and the zyxel router. However, it acknowledges the link but says that ' a connection to the internet cannot be found'.

Anyone know what the next step is?

Edit - Scratch that. Its working fine now. Probably the fact that I had bíttorrent fired up and running to the max in both directions that was slowing things down.

Advertisement