Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well done, you nice Dublin people

Options
  • 01-08-2006 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Well done to all Dublin natives who have venture far afield to seek housing on commuter lines in the North East of our country.

This has pushed up house prices sky high in Louth and Monghan and local people can not afford to get onto the property ladder because of it.

If this is the trend then Ill have to move to Mayo and commute to work in Monaghan everyday if I want to get a step on the ladder.

House prices have hyper inflated in the North East, and its not on. A development in Dundalk sold out as soon as it was released, the majority of people who bought the houses ie 90% as reported by the estate agent was from Dublin. Well done guys.

The houses where released at 265000 and now the same house is 315000. I was trying to organise a mortgage for around 270000, but cant afford the 315000 asking price, because believe it or not the wage level in the north east is less than those in Dublin.

Now local people in the North East are turning to buying sites but planning permission is like gold unless you know someone on the board as usual. Sites are rocketing as well, because of the increase in cardboard box houses.

Well done to those on the housing market who will benefit from their huge capital appreciation. Your greed as been more than welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

What a ridiculous post. Why are Dublin people buying in Dundalk? Maybe because they have been priced out of Dublin. How many people from outside dublin have bought in Dublin. I know plenty of country folk who have bought in Dublin all through the years. Get a grip of yourself man! What do you suggest Dublin people do who can't afford to buy in Dublin do? Go homeless? Actually I think I'd rather go homeless than buy in Dundalk anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Aw boo-hoo. People want to buy afordable housing so they move outside of Dublin, we have been offered 1.5M for the 3 bedroom cottage I live in.... anyone here able to afford that please raise your hand?

People have to move out of Dublin because the housing prices are so high, the cheaper areas, say Louth for example. That along with the government advertising of "Go West"

Were clearly greedy for not staying boxed up in our own Dublin area and paying extortionist prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 markhboyd

How stupid is that post (first one); I am sure people who work in Dublin would like to live in Dublin but cannot because of the cost of the property. It's life, get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

This is stupid, get a clue..... We have to deal with house prices in Dublin going through the roof, you can too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Your login name makes total sense Kluivert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

My Dad is from Monaghan and he bought in dublin, so maybe if all the country people left dublin and sold there houses to dublin people the problem would be solved. but then the house prices would jump up down the country as all the returning people would be buying. Stupid post which IMO should be deleted and the OP given a one week ban for stupidity

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've been forced out side of Dublin (not to extreme Lucan to Lexlip!) and I've I had a choice I would've liked to stay in Dublin. But lets face what you can afford dicates were you can live.

I'm sure if the OP could afford to live in Dublin (and wanted to) then he'd be on his way up here forcing the house prices up for some one else.

Its all about suplly and demand.

Welcome to the real world OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

I have a fair idea where the OP is talking about and if it's where I think it is then what do you expect this housing development was built for the purpose of being a commuting development, being less than 5 mins from the motorway. Seriously we're in the dublin sprawl now, get real and stop moaning.

The bigger problem I see is sites for sale with Locals need only apply on the advertising board. This means you have to have been born in the parish to buy the site. What the hell is this all about and why is it not illegal? I can see what they're trying to do i.e. prevent loads of people from building in an otherwise under developed area.

Also in the case of this development again another thing has been completely ignored what happens in 5 -6 years when all these new famlies move in and their kids have to go to school. Allowing planning permissions for 1500 new houses and not expanding the local schools or even taking into account for at least 1500 new cars drving down these roads. As usual local authority thinking ZERO steps ahead!! MUPPETTS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Talk about touching a nerve.

What am saying is its ok for you guys that work in Dublin in well paid jobs, you can afford to buy where ever you want because you earn substantial more than the rest of the country bar Galway and Cork.

Its a buyers market out there at the minute so off course people are going to move to where they can afford, dont be thick and point out the obvious.

The problem is house prices are going to rise everywhere else in the country and will continue to rise till they come to a stage where house prices in Dublin will slow down and everywhere else will level off at the same level, but who those working within Dublin will be able to afford the prices of housing. I got a brochure for a 3 bed townhouse in Castlebellingham, Co. Louth for 425k, thats taking the mick altogether. Is it not??????

So basicly the solution for people living in Monaghan and Louth is to get a job in Dublin and commute to work everyday. Holy Fcuk.

Thats life, true that is life unless you already own your own property pre 2001.

Am not having a dig at Dublin people, I am giving out that as a nation we are greedy, and will harvest while the sun shines, which at the end of the day will only lead to our downfall and a re-make of life back in the 70's and 80's.

If anyone has studied economics you will know that it is proven that rapid increases are followed by rapid decreases, People are going to be left with hugh debt to pay off, while their homes lose value and return to a value that is more reasonable. I would rather see a steady growth rather than this rapid increase of 12% by christmas as per BOI press release.

At this rate many people are going to be homeless as this state of buying is not sustainable.

Yeah touching a nerve with an ranting post alright!!

I'm sick to the back teeth of people pissing and moaning about property. If you can't afford to pay market rates in the area of choice then don't F-ing buy a house!! Simple!!

If you're so sure of this decrease thats coming why don't you wait and buy then and stop moaning about the property prices now. By your own comments it would seem idiotic to buy a house now.

• Advertisement

JP Mulvano wrote:
    I have a fair idea where the OP is talking about and if it's where I think it is then what do you expect this housing development was built for the purpose of being a commuting development, being less than 5 mins from the motorway. Seriously we're in the dublin sprawl now, get real and stop moaning.

Also in the case of this development again another thing has been completely ignored what happens in 5 -6 years when all these new famlies move in and their kids have to go to school. Allowing planning permissions for 1500 new houses and not expanding the local schools or even taking into account for at least 1500 new cars drving down these roads. As usual local authority thinking ZERO steps ahead!! MUPPETTS

Exactly my point.

All the infrastructure will be in Dublin, Galway and Cork. Fcuk the rest the country.

Take London and Surrey in the UK for example. Surrey is a rich county, with expensive houses and celebrities etc bah bah but also has one a the highest unemployment rates in the UK, because its a commuter county.

How many counties is there around Dublin that will end up exactly the same, Louth Meath Wicklow Kidlare Westmeath Tipp etc

There is no investment going into these counties, only housing. Has anyone read the Dunleer case in Co. Louth, the village is to double but doesnt that the faciliaties to cope with the mass expandsion and there has been no development plans put in place for roads etc only ..... heres a field build as many houses as you can squeeze in and charge rocket sky high prices for card city houses to thick people who know no better.

JP Mulvano wrote:
    By your own comments it would seem idiotic to buy a house now.

Renting is not ideal either, paying someone elses mortgage.

Talk about being stuck. Thats all.

kluivert wrote:
    Renting is not ideal either, paying someone elses mortgage.

Talk about being stuck. Thats all.

Jesus bring that one out of the bag!! when you rent you pay for a service effectively, granted a more expensive one. I don't hear you moaning about getting your hair cut or getting on a train. Think a little and open you mind a bit...besides I know rent in Dundalk is extremely cheap and doesn't cover most mortgages.

On the other note about services and infrastructure...Well you know what do. We have the power not the government. Vote the idiots out, talk to you local councillour, lodge appeals with planning authority, organise local residents etc etc.

Or you could piss and moan about it on boards and bend over!!

JP Mulvano wrote:

Or you could piss and moan about it on boards and bend over!!

I got that off my chest.

I have calmed down now, pi$$ off now that I have qualified as accountant and gf qualified as a nurse that we cant buy the homes that we wanted because they have shot up nearly 100k, no joke, in a year in South Monaghan plus interest rates keep on rising and will do into the far future till 5% mark is reached.

Just be nice to settle down near where you grew up and beside the rest of your family and friends, you know.

Rent in Dundalk is cheap alright. Rent is dead money.

The development I was on about was Lis Na Dara, google it. Very nice development. If you can afford it buy it. Basicly 300m from the train station in Dundalk, very good for commuting.

And by the way, you guys have a hard time in Dublin with the prices of property as well, I know that, am not being thick about it and its a pure disgrace.

kluivert wrote:

QUOTE]

I knew you say that!! So by those standards drinking is dead money, pertrol is dead money, food is dead money etc etc. Wise up, stop repeating what you heard everyone else say and form your own opinions. And FFS if you're that annoyed about things then do something about it.

You know I could make the point that people from Monaghan are pushing up prices in Dundalk/Louth...louth with the bigger population, infrastructure and lower unemployment would obviously attract people from surrounding counties and thus push up demand and increase prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Well us Dubs wouldn't have to move out of Dublin if all the Guards and Farmers from the country were not buying up all the property here in order to rent it out.

How about we make a deal, all the culchies get out of Dublin and all the Dubs move back here. Do you think us Dubs really want to live in your ****hole of a town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

Sorry but I think you're taking this a little bit too personally. (I can understand the frustration but the whole "Dublin people are wrecking everything!" attitude is a bit old.)

Yes, the house prices are going through the roof in Dublin and as result of this they're going nuts in most other surrounding counties aswell. Most of the people in Dublin who are looking to buy their first place, cant afford it. We are all in the same boat as you then? And, just like you, we have to move further and further away from where we grew up, where we work, where our friends and family live, and spend endless hours in traffic every day (yes, once again, just the same as you).
    Just as a side note, Galway and Cork have simular problems with house prices but I dont hear you whinging about them.

Just as a side note, Galway and Cork have simular problems with house prices but I dont hear you whinging about them.

That's because he's incapable of thinking beyond his own world where people are out to screw him on the property market.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

OP as opposed to re-hashing the gripes you've heard from other people, why not try and sit back, observe and make up your own mind? ...make an EDUCATED point, as opposed to the inane prattle that was your first post.
    Firstly,people working in Dublin would rather live in Dublin and walk to work, but that isn't possible. ...so they are driven out to the various towns/villages, where they spend money and promote the local economy. The fact the this drives up house prices is a benefit to the locals as their primary asset (their house) increases in value.
    If you can't afford a house, either rent (rent is paying for a service btw) or work harder.

I work hard, and I could afford a house in the North East, but I choose to rent until I can afford a house in Dublin, as I don't wish to waste my life away commuting. It's not "dead money" I pay another person so I can live in the city centre in a nice house and walk to work. Its a great service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

kluivert wrote:

The development I was on about was Lis Na Dara, google it. Very nice development. If you can afford it buy it. Basicly 300m from the train station in Dundalk, very good for commuting.

The interest you pay on your mortgage is dead money too. With an asking price of 310,000 euros those 3 bedroomed houses in Lis na Dara will end up costing over 1000 a month in interest to start off with (based on a 30 year mortgage).

• Advertisement

OK a point raised there.

"Firstly,people working in Dublin would rather live in Dublin and walk to work, but that isn't possible. ...so they are driven out to the various towns/villages,"

Why dont they get a job that is closer to their home then? where they are now situated? If you live in Dundalk now, why not seek a job in Dundalk instead of commuting?

Secondly:

"The interest you pay on your mortgage is dead money too."

This is the cost of capital. I understand what your saying, but this is the cost of investing, whereas renting is funding someone elses investment. Meaning the later will never earn a return from an investment point of view.

Thirdly:

"That's because he's incapable of thinking beyond his own world where people are out to screw him on the property market."

Whole on a minute, I have acknowledged that this is a nationwide problem and have already made reference to Galway and Cork.

"I knew you say that!! So by those standards drinking is dead money, pertrol is dead money, food is dead money etc etc. Wise up, stop repeating what you heard everyone else say and form your own opinions."

This is based on my own personal opinion from years of renting in Dundalk while in college there and working there. I made no reference to other people's opinions.

Example: I rent a room in Dundalk two years ago for 250e a month, the other room was also rented for 250e a month, the person who rented the house had just bought it and was also living in the house.

Cost of house was 145k, monthly repayments of the mortgage was 425e a month. That means that the person renting the rooms was gaining 75e a month from renting.

18 months later sells the house for 195e.

Thats a capital appraciate of 50k and suffered no repayments on the intial mortgage, and used the 50k for a depoist on a new house.

Now - answer this honestly, that person would have not have done so well if they hadnt rented the two rooms, my point being why waste your money refunding other peoples investments while you could be using that money to invest your own.

You dont have to be a bright spark to work that one out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kluivert wrote:

my point being why waste your money refunding other peoples investments while you could be using that money to invest your own.

Move back in with your parents. You can work and live close to your friends. Save some money towards your own house.
    kluivert wrote:

kluivert wrote:

Now - answer this honestly, that person would have not have done so well if they hadnt rented the two rooms, my point being why waste your money refunding other peoples investments while you could be using that money to invest your own.

This person still has to buy a new house at the now inflated hopuse prices so I fail to see how they made a return on investment if they have to buy a similiar house at the new prices. It's money that's locked into a house forever unless you have 2 houses and can afford to be a speculator buyer.

Jezzz how many times do I have to say this, you don't waste your money you pay for a ****ing service. If you have meal in restuarant do you curse yourself and say "Ohh look I just paid for part of the owner/investors new car" or do you say "mmm that was a lovely/bad meal"??
    kluivert wrote:
    "I knew you say that!! So by those standards drinking is dead money, pertrol is dead money, food is dead money etc etc. Wise up, stop repeating what you heard everyone else say and form your own opinions."

This is based on my own personal opinion from years of renting in Dundalk while in college there and working there. I made no reference to other people's opinions.

Yeah cause I haven't heard this point made before using EXACTLY the same phrase!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Comments removed for flaming and namecalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

kluivert wrote:
    Why dont they get a job that is closer to their home then? where they are now situated? If you live in Dundalk now, why not seek a job in Dundalk instead of commuting?
    (You've evidently taught this through :rolleyes: ) Because they work in well paid technicial/highly skilled jobs that aren't located in the same areas.
    kluivert wrote:
    ...my point being why waste your money refunding other peoples investments while you could be using that money to invest your own.

...emm because you can't afford to buy the house. That was your origional gripe, wasn't it?
    kluivert wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

what about all you ****-kickers who have moved to dublin over the years, messing with our house prices?

OP, piss off.

edit: i apologies for the '****-kickers' remark but this guy gets my goat! we are all irish arnt we? we're all the one people?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

well if less non dubs came up and lived in Dublin then our house prices wouldn't be so high and we wouldn't have to buy out in country towns and have horrible long commutes to work.

Dublin has the jobs thus the people which is causing people from here to have to move too so trust me they share your pain except for the fact houses in Monaghan can not come close to competing with Dublin for price!

Listen,

Renting is a service, but this service has a subsitute, thats buying a house, there's no sub for eating or drinking ok. You can get the bus or train or walk. What can you replace drinking and eating with, think.

Listen again.

I have made no comments about Dublin natives being scum etc and yet I have read about neanderthal culchies, the bog, ****-kickers, you sure know how to lower the tone.

Yeah what goes around comes around, yes it does...

I am an accoutant, theres plenty of jobs in Dublin for me, but I dont want to work in Dublin. There is a hell of people who do not want to go to work in Dublin ok. Get that straight in your head. Thats one of my points, I do not want to work in Dublin.

But yet I have to pay Dublin prices for houses back at home, ok they are not as bad as Dublin itself. So the only solution is in fact to go work in Dublin to get a wage that will be sufficent to buy a house in Louth or Monaghan

Can no one see my point of view here.

kluivert wrote:
    Listen,

But yet I have to pay Dublin prices for houses back at home, ok they are not as bad as Dublin itself. So the only solution is in fact to go work in Dublin to get a wage that will be sufficent to buy a house in Louth or Monaghan

Can no one see my point of view here.

I dunno what houses you're looking at in Dublin but you couldnt pick up a 2 bed house 5 minutes from the city centre for anything less than 450 or 500K. So no you're not paying dublin prices for a house in Louth. And yes I am using the devlopment you mentioned as an example.

I'd still say prices were not too bad in Dundalk/Louth as a whole. I could afford a 3 bed house in Dundalk if I wanted to and I aint rich!! I think this particular development has more attraction given the proximity to the train station and thus is probably more expensive than others. I think you're jsut pissed you lost a house you wanted and won't accept anything else except this PARTICULAR one.

And you know exactly what I'm saying about paying for a service so stop being so stubborn and nit picking!! Accept you're wrong

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I can see your point of view but not everyone has the has the choice to work outside Dublin starting off in their chosen field.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement